General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Men on Mars!

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2004, 06:35 PM
Scott_McGee16
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Men on Mars!

I just thought I would ask, Is it true that the American government is setting up another mission to Mars, this time with the intent on sending humans?

Old 01-10-2004, 07:05 PM
68torino
Posting Guru
As I understand it this will not be for a few years. Would that they would get a move on and get there. they send probes that garner more questions than answers. Since we already have the tech to get the job done, let's go!

Old 01-10-2004, 07:35 PM
FordFadgeole
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think i know of a few who just got back!

Old 01-10-2004, 09:06 PM
jskufan
Posting Guru
Honestly, I don't think we're even close to tranporting humans to Mars. It was quite a feat landing an unmanned rover on a planet a couple of million miles away. The biggest obstacle as I see it, is getting the spacecraft back home again. Once you start putting humans on board, you need to be sure beyond all doubt.

Old 01-10-2004, 11:11 PM
olfordsnstone
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The humans volunteering for this duty would, I'm sure, accept the risks involved. If I wasn't a family man, I'd prbably toss my name in the hat. (of course they probably wouldn't accept my application, being an old ford truck drivin hick) Sounds like an opportunity in history that would be hard to pass up for some.
I believe that I heard that they were going to use the same technology as the lunar ship to return to earth on. Just larger fuel cells and such. Pretty exciting I think! I agree, lets go!

Old 01-10-2004, 11:35 PM
68torino
Posting Guru
The difference between machines and man is man will adapt to different situations and adapt. Machines can only follow their programme. If we send men and ladies to Mars they would be able to notice a program glitch and/or decide to choose a different site to land at. Or decide it would not work due to problems with equipment and turn back.

Old 01-11-2004, 12:42 AM
theshyguy
Elder User
I personally see no reason to go. We have such a deficit right no that we cant afford it. The estimates with the first Bush was a consetvative $400 Billion and as high as $1 Trillion. No way we can afford it unless something is done to quiet wasting tax money so it can be alloted to NASA.

Old 01-11-2004, 10:29 AM
FordFadgeole
Postmaster
I'm all for sending a manned space flight to Mars,but there are so many programs that are underfunded at this time I dont see how we could fund such a program at this time .by funding such programs such as a manned flight,I think NASA would be stretched a little thin.if somehow NASA could accuire additional funding,I'd say go for it.I dont think they have the bugs out of the shuttle program yet.

Old 01-11-2004, 06:35 PM
68torino
Posting Guru
Originally posted by theshyguy
I personally see no reason to go. We have such a deficit right no that we cant afford it. The estimates with the first Bush was a consetvative $400 Billion and as high as $1 Trillion. No way we can afford it unless something is done to quiet wasting tax money so it can be alloted to NASA.
As far as deficts and debt, the first major wave of Baby Boomers will retire in five years and within 5-10 years the defict/debt will hit from 40 to 60 TRILLON dollars. Per an article I read in Fortune. So as far as cutting spending in any program it won't matter. Programs across the board will get cut with everyone'staxes skyrocketing so might as well get with it before we tank.

Old 01-11-2004, 06:41 PM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
Yes and no

The humans are much later!!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-12-2004, 03:48 AM
willowbilly3
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
If Mars' gravity is about the same as ours then it seems logical that it would take a similiar vehicle to escape it. Not an impossible task, but the logistics of it seem staggering. It seems we would have to send a bunch of loads ahead so they could put together a vehicle that would have enough poop to get them out.

Old 01-12-2004, 03:55 AM
FordFadgeole
Postmaster
One good thing about it is they have people interested in the space program again.

Old 01-12-2004, 04:37 AM
borderman
Senior User
If you haven't already, check out the movies RED PLANET or MISSION TO MARS. They are good films on the perils and challenges of going to Mars.

Old 01-12-2004, 11:28 AM
grapegravy
Elder User
"Oh dear, now I shall have to create more Martians."
"At last, after two thousand years of work, the Illudium PU-36 Explosive Space Modulator."
"Brace yourself for immediate disintegration."

--Marvin The Martian

The single biggest reason to Invade Mars. It's not only our freedom, livelihood, or humanity that is at stake, gentlemen (used loosely of course), but the fate of the Entire Planet!!!
How much longer can we let this threat go on without direct, swift and final erradication of these terrorists of the solar system?? To Arms!!!

On a less serious note, I'm all for the space exploration programs. I think it was 2008 that they are projecting the launch for Mars, give or take a few years. Another manned trip to the moon is supposedly sooner. The way I see it, we need to get an established base of operations on the moon for any real missions beyond our planet's direct arena to have any chance of success. Time to get that Space Elevator project going, I gather. Or something even more suitable for the task, with technological advances doing as they are. Whether it be to defray the public opinion away from the troubles of this world or not, I'm happy to see the media putting these subjects back on the plates of the American households. To me,, this is one of those "Big Picture" issues that will eventually save or destroy our race. That decision, I'm sure, will be up to some @$&^$@* politician that can't even see past his nose,,,, but I still hope.

Old 01-12-2004, 11:38 AM
billsco
Elder User
I think the universe may be ours for the taking.

Quick Reply: Men on Mars!