1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

MPG improvement from exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2004, 02:35 PM
jubrown
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MPG improvement from exhaust?

I get about 20-23 mpg around town (really cold outside right now at 20 mpg) with my 1999 2wd 4 cyl, 5spd std cab ranger. best I ever got was about 27 or 28 with a stiff tail wind highway driving Would performance exhaust increase my mpg noticeably?

Truck has 25,000 miles on it, anything else I should do to increase mpg. not a big fan of the 4 banger other than the selling price was right and was hoping I could average 24-25 mpg with it even around town to help me feel better about it. thanks.

Old 01-10-2004, 04:03 PM
maticuno
Posting Guru
I'd have to say I've never noticed an increase in my mileage with my exhaust, but then again I drive it pretty hard trying to show up all the stupid rice rockets in my area. A K&N air filter might help a bit too, but I've heard some bad reviews about those on this forum so I don't know...

Old 01-10-2004, 06:36 PM
surelly09
Senior User
Ive got a k&n filter and an exhaust system. I noticed about 3-4 mpg increase after i installed both long with a significant horsepower increase(which i like since i like burning dumb civics at a red light)

Last edited by Ken00; 01-12-2004 at 10:38 AM.
Old 01-10-2004, 06:52 PM
eigenvector
Elder User
Performance exhaust

The only thing about exhaust mods is that unless you nix the catalytic converter and muffler arrangement those will be your choke points. Making your exhaust pipe bigger ain't gonna improve your exhaust flow.

Simple physics again, mass in equals mass out. The advantage of "performance" exhaust pipes is that they are supposed help with the exhaust flow - making it easier for your truck to breathe. Considering the complexity of emission control mechanisms on modern vehicles and I'd be sceptical of any performance increase.

Engine efficiency is more of a function of how hot the engine is, how dense the air is in the chamber, and how well the fuel is mixed in with the air.

I wouldn't muck with the engine myself, but if I had to I'd start with the air cleaner or the spark plugs.

Just my opinion.

Old 01-10-2004, 08:04 PM
99xlt4.04x4
Posting Guru
Im sure he was talking about a complete exhaust system and not just pipes. I think it would give better mileage as long as you drive it the same as you do now. I know if i had more power from an exhaust system i would probably drive it harder because i know the extra power is there.

Old 01-10-2004, 09:23 PM
jubrown
New User
thanks everyone, I guess 3 mpg would be about $80/yr so I suppose I can live with it. the more potential for more power definitely has me curious though.

Old 01-10-2004, 09:41 PM
eigenvector
Elder User
Originally posted by 99xlt4.04x4
Im sure he was talking about a complete exhaust system and not just pipes. I think it would give better mileage as long as you drive it the same as you do now. I know if i had more power from an exhaust system i would probably drive it harder because i know the extra power is there.
Yes, but how much would you be willing to pay for 5% more horsepower?

If I had 500 bucks burning a hole in my pocket I'd go stay at a nice bed and breakfast, not give my Ranger another 10%. Besides, what is that extra horsepower gonna give you - I've been driving for a long long time and I've never run into a situation where more power would have helped out. In fact I've been in a few situations where **less** power would have helped. Ahhh, I'm probably sounding like some old fuddy duddy, but I really could care less what some dork with a coffee can muffler thinks of how fast I drive.

Trending Topics

Old 01-10-2004, 09:49 PM
99xlt4.04x4
Posting Guru
More power is always better, if you need less power just let off the gas. And if you have never neede more power you probably only drive in the city. off road you always need more power or towing.

Old 01-11-2004, 01:53 AM
maticuno
Posting Guru
Eigenvector, that has to be the funniest thing I've heard all night. I love your "coffee can muffler" analogy. It reminds me of all the ricers buzzing around out here. Always sounds like a swarm of angry bees to me.
As far as performance and why I did the exhaust mods on my truck, it was not for performance at all because it's just not possible to squeeze more power out of that 2.5L because no parts are made for it. I only do it for the gentle rumble it gives, and considering it only cost me $100, I think it was worth it.

Old 01-11-2004, 03:57 AM
Houckster
Senior User
Thumbs up Tuned exhaust . . .

I think a case can be made that a more efficient exhaust system could benefit the engine. Unfortunately, it's not real simple to do that because no one's making one so far as I know. It not just a matter of bigger pipes and headers. To do the exhaust right, there would have to be no abrupt changes in diameter of the exhaust path and the pipes would have to decrease in diameter as the exhaust reached the rear of the vehicle and the computer would have to be programmed to maximize the benefit. Also, unfortunately, most engines I believe have a rectangular exhaust port which then feeds into a tube which isn't good since this creates turbulance and reduces or eliminates any scavenging effect that would benefit the engine. More than likely, this is something Detroit's going to have to do.