1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

98 Expy Limited Value

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2004, 11:40 AM
grogant
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
98 Expy Limited Value

I am looking at a 1998 Expedition Limited with 120k on it and
it is priced at 9944 which is about 500 under kelly blue book.

Because my name isn't rockefeller I have to go the used route.

What should i look for when I take this out for a test drive and
inspection besides the normal fluid condition etc. I am going to
take it home jack it up and pull the wheels and look at brakes
and seals etc.

But anything else I should look out for ?

Thanks In Advance,

Tim

Old 01-10-2004, 05:16 PM
tsdrallyer
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
IF it's a 4x4 check all positions in the transfer case. Remember, for low range stop put tranny in neutral, switch to 4 lo, then put tranny in gear again. Try it slowly back and forth, then stop put tranny in neutral and switch back to 4 high or awd or 2wd. When trying four wheel hi or lo do so on dirt if possible, if not, go slow and keep wheels straight ahead to avoid strain on driveline.

IF it has LSD, take several right turns from start, as if you had stopped at a stop sign and then turned right. Listen for any chattering, shuddering or other vibration from rear axle.

If it has LLS listen for air pump to come on when started up. Does it level vehicle front and rear? Is it level left and right when at rest or when idling?

The rest is just the normal routine you'd do to most cars pr trucks.

Old 01-10-2004, 07:08 PM
PaulC
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Give the HVAC system a thorough workout. Ensure that all functions work. Spark plug change is due at 100k. Was it done? Some plugs (especially #4, back plug on passenger side) are a pain to access. A dealer will charge a few hundred dollars just to change the plugs.

Also some 1997-98 Expeditions had a driveline vibration that presented itself in the 70-75 MPH range. I once drove a 98 on a regular basis that had this. If you can do it safely, check your truck out on this one. I think the cure involves going from a driveshaft with a double cardan joint to one with a single cardan joint.

Check the rear wiper for operation. Often fails on these models. I'm on motor #3 at 70k on the odo.

Last edited by PaulC; 01-10-2004 at 07:13 PM.