Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

95 CD changer BAD CD / BAD DISK

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2004, 06:37 AM
satcomjimmy
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
95 CD changer BAD CD / BAD DISK

I have a 95 Explorer Limited with stock stereo to include CD changer. It has recently started saying "BAD CD" or "BAD DISK" on the display for all disks, I tried cleaning it out but so many moving parts, did not feel comfortable dismantling more than taking off the covers and spraying out with canned air. I also ran a lense-cleaning disk through. Everything else seems to work fine, stereo is in good shape. I have noticied the disks seem to load kinda slow like needs grease, but I am wondering if this is a common problem or if anyone knows a fix.

On the same note, does anyone know other models I can pull a matching or compatible player from if needed. I am not looking to splice wires, I have noticed the same connector was used for several years but need all controls to still work.

Thanks for any help.

Old 01-06-2004, 10:56 AM
ElChingon
New User
Funny, I seen a different member having the same problem, he couldnt fix it, most likely your changer went bad and repairs will cost you as much if you get a new or used one.

You can always get a new cd changer and they also sell the plug (connectors) to fit the plugs of your truck. (Best Buy or Circuit City)

Hope this helps

Old 01-06-2004, 12:28 PM
Sweet012
New User
My 95 Explorer has the same problem. I removed the CD from the console, dismantled the CD player and it works only when I help the CD to rotate. You can call your local FORD dealer and ask about refurbish CD players. They run about half of the cost ($200.00) of a new one. I have yet to replace mine. Good luck.

Old 01-06-2004, 03:42 PM
satcomjimmy
Junior User
Will aftermarket changers work with factory controls without modification?

Old 01-06-2004, 05:24 PM
stackclimber
Junior User
satcom
typically if the head unit is capable of running the changer than any changer will be recognized. Your best bet would be to ask the associate at best buy / circuit city, the install dept. tech. should know.

Old 01-07-2004, 12:59 AM
ElChingon
New User
Originally posted by satcomjimmy
Will aftermarket changers work with factory controls without modification?

NO NO NO, dont use aftermarket stuff, bad bad bad, like SweetO12 mention try calling Ford dealer for refurnished changer, or go to a junkyard and find one that works

Old 01-09-2004, 12:45 AM
Mountaineer40
Junior User
I have a 98 Merc Mountaineer. The display went out on my stock AM/FM CD/Cassette radio. I decided to get a replacement but it had to have all the same features. Came across a Clarion off of Ebay (135 bucks )with AM/FM CD/ Cassette. It also had a few sound inhancements as well as a cool digital animated display. The radio was slightly larger than the stock . I just had to cut away a small extra piece of plastic around the inside of the whole where the stock radio was located. I was able to get a nice steady snug fit. Circuit City had the wiring harness that I needed just incase I had to put the stock radio back in. The only thing that I am missing is that the rear seat radio controls dont work. But my new radio fixed that......a remote control was included.

M40