4.0 using oil & antifreeze

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2004, 01:36 AM
aaron o.
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 4.0 using oil & antifreeze

93 explorer 4.0 has oil in antifreeze, no antifreeze in oil. uses approx. 1 qt. oil every 500-1000 miles. antifreeze also needs constant attention but not as bad as oil loss. no smoke whatsoever, cold, hot, ever. no leaks either. where is it all going?!!! thanks.

Old 01-04-2004, 03:25 AM
Torque1st
Posting Legend
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
Bad head gasket?

Old 01-04-2004, 01:24 PM
pat67shorty
Elder User
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
It is common for the intake gasket to develope a leak, and cause your symptoms.

Old 01-04-2004, 06:34 PM
aaron o.
Senior User
does it leak externally, and just not make it to the ground or internally slow enough to not cause smoke?

Old 02-21-2004, 12:52 AM
MaximumViolence
New User
It's your lower intake. It's an internal leak most likely. You need a lower intake gasket. You can use a Fel-Pro replacement from any auto parts store. If you really want it to last, though, get a ford OEM metal gasket from www.fordpartsonline.com

Old 02-21-2004, 06:52 PM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Ford issued a Technical Service Bulletin about this (Article No. 95-9-10) which specifically covers your '93 4.0L.

Coolant loss, with no visible sign of leakage, may
occur on some vehicles. This may be due to
internal leaks from a failed intake manifold gasket
caused by loose intake manifold bolts, a fouled
intake manifold, pitting/corrosion, or loose cylinder
head bolts.
The fix, of course, is to replace the intake manifold gasket.

If you decide to do the job yourself, then you should make it a point to get a copy of the TSB, as it has part #s and installation instructions.

Old 02-21-2004, 11:12 PM
mrtn1245
New User
I have a 1994 Ford Ranger with a 4.0. Today I was driving and looked at my temp gauge and it was rising. I was like hmmm maybe I am a little low on coolant. I always new the coolant level dropped and I always tried to keep it filled up. I only use it for around town driving so I wasn't to worried about it. Well got home and opened the hood and saw all the steam. I was like hmm now is my chance to find the leak. I turned it back on and held a mirror at wear i thought it was coming from (passenger side rear of the engine) I watched it come out of the intake and drip on to the transmission. This explains why i never saw any of the coolant on the ground because it filled up on all of the valleys on top of the transmission. So I decided to pull everything apart. First I pulled off the ignition moduel, then all of the upper intake and throttle body. Then comes the lower intake. To get the lower intake off you have to remove the valve covers first because they over lap the intake manifold. It was a real small leak but that is where it was leaking from. Hope this helps some what. Not to bad of a job. If you are mechanically sound like me you can get this whole job done in 3.5 hours.