General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Random Thoughts (KP Forgive me) about old times...

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2004, 08:48 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 61 Likes on 30 Posts
Life has no rear view mirror,
Always be aware of what is behind you
Look to the future with open eyes
Never fantasize for the past,
However, delight in the memories
Dream of the future,
It is…..a clean canvass
With countless possibilities
To paint the picture you desire.

TL

Old 01-03-2004, 09:49 AM
Fordlover55
Still kicking!!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I understand what you are saying Greywolf. I watch as my hometown grows and turns into a "city". Historic buildings torn down and cheap or outrageously expensive ones replace them. I look at my youth and see the way we "rejected" our parents values, but also see that we really kept most of them, because most of us still listened to what they had to say. I listen to the oldies and see images of my own past...good memories and bad. I still love the old country western singers more than the new rock and roll country music we have now. Listening to the roar and rage of rap, or whatever the music is now... only confuses me, because I can barely understand a word of it. Is there a theme other than hate and "you all just don't understand " or the gang style? Yeah..we had the "greasers" way back when. Now we have the punks of today.

I don't live in the 50's or 60's anymore....but sure wish history would start to repeat itself soon.

Old 01-03-2004, 10:32 AM
bosshoss
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I raise my glass to a simpler time, when life was good.

Old 01-03-2004, 10:35 AM
FordFadgeole
Postmaster
cheers!

Old 01-03-2004, 01:34 PM
wick246
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All you say is true Greywolf... but don't forget that the past is the past. Take all the good from it you can and apply it to the here and now. If you run through life looking backwards you never get see where you are - only where you have been. And besides you end up running head first into a lot of walls. The time of your life is here and now. You can place your glory days behind you, with you or in front of you. Problems and all, this is the time of your life if you decide to make it that way.

Old 01-03-2004, 01:46 PM
stu37d
Government Teat-sucker

Originally posted by Fordlover1951
I look at my youth and see the way we "rejected" our parents values, but also see that we really kept most of them, because most of us still listened to what they had to say. I listen to the oldies and see images of my own past...good memories and bad. I still love the old country western singers more than the new rock and roll country music we have now. Listening to the roar and rage of rap, or whatever the music is now... only confuses me, because I can barely understand a word of it. Is there a theme other than hate and "you all just don't understand " or the gang style? Yeah..we had the "greasers" way back when. Now we have the punks of today.
Isn't it all just a matter of perspective? Wouldn't our parents have said the same thing about us during the sixties and seventies? I dig what your sayin' , though, greywolf. I miss the music- it was from the soul, not for the wallet. Oh, and I still use phrases like 'dig it,' and 'groovy,' and my favorite, "Bitchin!" I also hear alot of young folks using them, too.

Old 01-03-2004, 02:01 PM
otto
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes Neil Young sung that tune before the members of Def Leppard were born maybe

Heres to Neil:

Well I heard mister Young sing about her
Well, I heard ole Neil put her down
Well, I hope Neil Young will remember
A Southern man don't need him around anyhow

Old 01-03-2004, 03:28 PM
bassdude
Elder User
heres an example that popped into my head while reading this thread. when i was a kid we actually used to go trick or treating. and our parents didn't have to check ever little piece of candy for foreign objects. if we got a apple or home made fudge mom didn't have to think twice about letting us have it. seems like all the other trends and fads cycle around. wonder if old fashioned common courtesy will ever be in vogue again?