1978 - 1996 Big Bronco  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gas coming out of filler neck while I gas up!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2004, 03:48 PM
89Bronco_EddieBauer
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gas coming out of filler neck while I gas up!!

Ok, For the past month or so, Ive come across ocassions where I would go and fill up my 89 EB 351W and the damn gas would literally shoot out from the nozzle and get gas everywhere.
Ive used Fuel Injector cleaners and gas treaments but it still happens sumtimes.

COuld it be that something is lodged inside the filler neck.

The last itme this happened, I didnt catch it until about 5 gallons was on the floor of the gas station. About $11.00 worth of gas here in NYC.

PS. I envy all my fellow Bronco lovers out in the mid west and south. Gas proces here jumped today $.40 a gallon, making it about $2.40 a gallon for regular. This sux considering I olny get about 9 miles ot the gallon anyway.

Old 01-01-2004, 04:57 PM
JBronco
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That's strange. My Bronco sometimes makes the pump nozzle shut off due to backflow of gas (I think that Broncos have a sharp filler neck angle) but I have never had five gallons of gas shoot out. That should have shut the gas nozzle off, unless it did and the gas was just shooting out of your tank. In which case I would remove and check the filler neck first, it should just be a rubber hose that runs from the hole to the tank. Something ain't right.

BTW - I could POSSIBLY see this happening in hot weather, although I have never had it happen. But you are in New York in winter...maybe freezing in the filler line? Try some of that drygas stuff.

Old 01-01-2004, 06:40 PM
BroncoRoadKill
Posting Guru
This is what I have heard a body lift helps the angle and fixes this problem.

Old 01-01-2004, 06:56 PM
Steve_Uzi
Laughing Gas
Another thing to consider is that each individual Gas station has their pumps set to flow differently. So the times that it is spitting back you might be at a station with a high flow of fuel. Other stations may have a lower flow rate which might explain why it happens sometimes.

I occasionally get the spit back of fuel as well...

Old 01-01-2004, 07:04 PM
89Bronco_EddieBauer
Senior User
I was thinking the same thing UZI. I think ill change my station.

Old 01-01-2004, 07:36 PM
Chris_ce
Posting Guru
My guess is there is a kink in the filler line or try not putting the pump in so far. On a old car I had it kept shuting the pump off and if ipulled the hose out a little it would work fine.

Old 01-01-2004, 09:36 PM
Corey872
Senior User
Is it doing this with a full tank, half tank, etc? I would think the gas pump should shut off regardless? not end up pouring 5 gallons of gas out. If it's doing it when the tank is not even full, look at your filler neck and at the vent tube, either could be kinked, dented or plugged. If it happens when the tank is full, the gas station may have a defective shut off on their pump. Either way, 5 gallons of gas will make a big fireball, so be careful especially in the winter with all the static electricity!

Old 01-01-2004, 10:23 PM
ANdrewdrice
Elder User
I work for a construction company, Every work truck, from work dog trucks all the way to the BIG MAN in the pretty office has fords. My father also works for said company. while he was a superintendant, he carried a 2x4 in the bed of his truck to back onto when he fuled up. this eliminated the problem. the fulers that are employed with us say that all fords are notorious for this. I just recently experienced his. there is only one station in my town (CHino Valley, Arizona< yes the southwest, the weather or temp has nothing to do with this problem.) where this problem is no more. what I and all my fellow ford-loving friends noticed, is, try going to a smaller station, like a mom&pop place with older pumps. that seems to work out here. dont know if there are many of these places in NYC though, try the 2x4 idea, hope this helps

Old 01-01-2004, 10:26 PM
Steve_Uzi
Laughing Gas
Backing up onto a 2x4? Raising that one side by 2" made a difference ?

Old 01-01-2004, 11:04 PM
ANdrewdrice
Elder User
thats what my dad said, and all the supers did it

Old 01-02-2004, 05:53 AM
79 Trailer Special
Elder User

I would look at the vent line from the tank. The tank in my truck started leaking so I replaced it with a tank from a 78. Well the vent line is on the other side of the filler neck (a change from 78 to 79). I figured its no big deal for now I'll plug it till I come up with a fix. Went to the gas station and could only fill it real slow and had to stop every 1/2 gallon or so or it shot out all over the place. I fixed the vent line and have had no prob since. All the air in the tank needs to escape when the fuel takes its place, if the vent is kinked or collapsed it tries to come out the fill neck making a mess. Something worth looking at.

Old 01-02-2004, 07:00 AM
fcarruth
Elder User
I agree with the rest that it could be a kinked filler neck but how could anyone let 5 gal. of gas spill out before it was recognized ? Mine sometimes spills maybe a quarter cup but that is it.

Good luck,

PS: I guess I am lucky because I only pay $137. / gal.

Old 01-02-2004, 07:49 AM
79 Trailer Special
Elder User

I guess if it was a quickie mart kind of place you could run in for milk or smokes and find 5 gal spilled but the pump must have been defective to begin with.
$1.37 for gas? dang we are payin $1.70 for regular if ya can find it cheap...good old N.Y. taxes

Old 01-02-2004, 07:56 AM
cje07
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree with the pump speed at differing stations theroy. When I fill at Kwik Trip it is a big problem (gas spitting), but when I fill up at Conoco, I don't have a problem! Pick a station that you don't have a problem with!

Old 01-02-2004, 09:14 AM
drbonestou
Junior User
same problem here...
I think it has to do with the sharp angle the filler neck takes into the tank...
I have to fill slow or it spits out all over....must be a ford thing..

Quick Reply: Gas coming out of filler neck while I gas up!!