1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

in military with 8" plus of lift? please read

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2002, 10:08 AM
jetjock16
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys i am about to lift my truck, i want to go BIG, bigger that TX state laws, which are not enforced at all, i dont know if the military police will find it an issue as i have to drive on base everday. anyone?
thanks
Rob

Old 10-07-2002, 10:50 AM
terhune1
New User

I how much luck you will have with the Texas law on enforcing your lift desires: HOWEVER, I can tell you this. You will quickly run out of luck on a military installation when it comes to the vehicle regulations as you describe. I don't know what flavor of military base you are traveling on a daily basis, but if you bring that rig on a MARINE Base, you are surely to encounter a Marine MP that will inform you of the requirments regarding driving on his base.........Best of luck.....

Rob
MSgt USMC

Old 10-07-2002, 09:44 PM
slammer
Senior User

My fine investigative skills would tell me that your a F16 pilot.... Now I have the utmost respect for the military, but I think if you get alot of grief from base police, a quick "flyby" over his squad might change his demeanor...

Now before anyone jumps me on this..... I'M ONLY KIDDING

Old 10-08-2002, 11:16 AM
cookie88
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

What's your home of record? If you're from a state with no, or limited lift laws, you could just licence the truck there. That would make Texas' laws irrelevant.

Old 10-08-2002, 11:43 AM
terhune1
New User

Gents,
It is important to remember that when dealing with military installations and vehicle registration requirements, the installation IS required to adhear to state vehicle laws. I can tell you lift regulations, smog inspections and such are governed by the laws of the state that the base is located. I have an Arizona truck on a California base. My registration specifically states the "no smog" test required, However if I register the vehicle on base as required by virtue of being stationed there, I have to smog it. No way around it. I would recommend that a simple phone call to the provost marshall's office on your base will give you the quick lift limits for your truck if you drive it on base, and you will have no problem getting on or off the base. Sure beats a ticket.

Rob
MSgt USMC

Old 10-08-2002, 11:54 AM
robnfl
Junior User

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 08-Oct-02 AT 12:55 PM (EST)]The MSgt is completely correct, the military base will adhere to the local state/county laws. A quick call to your base MAA or security department will provide you with the regulations and probably save you from receiving a ticket.

Rob
AVCM(AW/SW) USN

Old 10-13-2002, 08:43 AM
Edmo
Senior User

I've been active duty USAF for 18 years with 7 different PCSs and a ton of TDYs. Here is my take...

The lift you put on your truck might be overlooked by your current base or state, however what about you next assignment? What about the states you have to drive through while enroute to this next assignment or when heading home for a visit?

I have seen guys run into the "..but they didn't care at my previous assignment.." problem. Most vehicle regs are similar state to state (except the People's Democratic Republic of California) and some actually enforce them. Even if you get by with an illegal modification at your present assignment, they will ticket you at your next.

Edmo

Old 10-13-2002, 12:07 PM
jetjock16
Posting Guru

well i found a happy meduium for now, im going 10" lift with 36" tires, parts are already ordered, that will put me at the exact top of the TX range of legal headlight height, The aircraft i fly will keep me out of california bases, my home of record is WA, i need a drop down bumber to satisfy them, but once again no fighter or trainer aircraft up there, so im going with the lift, ill be in texas for the next 3.5 years and ill figure it out after that.
jetjock16.

Old 10-14-2002, 12:51 AM
chadrock
Senior User

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 14-Oct-02 AT 01:52 AM (EST)]Those 36" tires are going to look pretty small for the lift you got.

Old 10-14-2002, 10:45 AM
Ford_Girly
New User

Old 10-14-2002, 01:05 PM
Skiddz
Cross-Country

I'm a contractor and do work on various Navy/Marine Corps bases in the southwest. I've got a 6" lift with 35's on my truck and have not run into any problems other than when 1st getting my DoD sticker. There were some concerns about headlight and bumper "altitude" at first, but once it was determined the truck was legal in this state, it was a non-issue. The only "feedback" I ever get from the MPs or gate guards is "Nice truck."

Personally, I'd keep it legal and avoid the headaches as much as possible..

Leaving his mark everywhere he goes....