Engine TAPPINGS!

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2003, 05:49 PM
TheBrokenMarine
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Engine TAPPINGS!

Ok fellas...last week I was leaving my office and tried to fire up my truck. Cranked slow and then stopped cranking...all IP lights were dimmed like there was a big draw on the battery. I released the key. I ensured I had the clutch pressed in and tried once more. Same thing. This time I held the key and eventually she started. Drove home (about 15 minutes) and all is well. Wife went outta town so drove her car everyday. Went out this morning (after leaving the truck sitting for five days). Cranked right up! Leaving the office today, did that same starting thing again. THEN it happened! This loud tapping sound. Tapping sound was definitely rhythmic with engine speed and I accelerate it gets faster. I made it hope and parked it.

All gages are fine. All fluid levels are fine. No noticeable coolant in oil. Coolant level a bit low but it always is. No additonal white smoke from exhaust. By the way the coolant leak is external...have a little puddle under teh passenger side of the truck near the wheel on cold nights only. Vehicle is a 97 with the dreaded 4.2.

So any suggestions...I'm hoping it's someting that I'm able to fix.

Old 12-29-2003, 07:56 PM
junkford?
Freshman User
Don`t want to get you too worried but,that sounds similar to the problem I had before my motor finally went in the 2 wheel drive manual tranny pickup. I thought it was the starter. I did manage to get it push started a few times. I left it sit over Labor Day weekend ,next time I went to start it,starting right off with a loud tapping sound.That turned out to be a bent rod.

Brian

Old 12-29-2003, 08:10 PM
TheBrokenMarine
Senior User
Dang it...that was my hunch...thanks Brian...sure hope you're wrong.

Old 12-29-2003, 08:11 PM
BrianA
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Alex,
If it were mine, I WOULD NOT TRY CRANKING IT AGAIN until I was SURE it's not losing coolant.
Brian is correct, it sounds like you are losing coolant into a cylinder. When said cylinder is not on the compression stroke at initial crank, it spews the coolant mixture out the exhaust pipe. When the offending cylinder IS on the compression stroke...well, let's just say you won't have much luck compressing the coolant mixture. Metal things bend and break.
Lower intake manifold gaskets (if I remember correctly) All '97 models are susceptible.
Sorry, but I'd fix it before it broke (worse).
Whatever you do, don't use the same dealer that Brian used!

Old 12-29-2003, 08:14 PM
travlnman
More Turbo
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
BrokenMarine,

Hope that's not it, but it sure sounds like it, best of luck, and Semper Fi!!

Old 12-29-2003, 11:00 PM
TheBrokenMarine
Senior User
Thanks to all you guys. Looks like she'll be staying parked. This would happen right after Christmas. Think I'll look for a used engine. Maybe I'll dump a 4.6 in instead.

Old 12-30-2003, 11:40 AM
MJEmerson
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My advice would be try to fix the problem, or run the engine until it blows. I have had a knock for a while....think its a lifter. Problem is most of the time fixing an internal engine problem at a shop can cost more than its worth...then a new engine is better. If its not going to damge the rest of the truck you will be better off just runnin that engine and seeing what happens....it may run a long time . Just avoid long trips where you need a reliable vehicle...and crank the music up.

Jasper 4.2 = 2400 bucks

Old 12-30-2003, 11:43 AM
MJEmerson
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
by the way....do check out what the other guys said to make sure you dont do further damage....I am just saying if it doesnt get worse that engine may run a while.

Old 12-30-2003, 06:07 PM
junkford?
Freshman User
I have a question regarding Alex`s thought. Does anyone know what it would take to convert to a 4.6, as far as tranny compatibility and such?

Brian

Old 12-30-2003, 06:39 PM
travlnman
More Turbo
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Too much. Take the cost of a 4.6, the cost in time(labor) and aggravation chasing parts down, and apply it to another truck with a 4.6 already in it. Trust me, you will be much happier and a lot less stressed out. It won't happen overnight, how long can you be without your truck? If you don't trust your 4.2, get rid of the whole truck now, don't wait until a problem comes up. The newer 4.2 (99 +) doesn't have this problem, and I bought my 2002 new with 5miles on the clock for less than 15k.

Old 12-30-2003, 07:26 PM
TheBrokenMarine
Senior User
That's what I needed to hear..thanks bro. Reckon I'll just look for a later model 4.2. I've found several salvage yards online that are looking for around 1700 bucks for the motor shipped which really ain't a bad price.

I didn't get one with a 4.6 because of fuel economy there I go bein' cheap again.

Old 12-30-2003, 07:44 PM
bubbasz1
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Take the heads off, and drop the pan and take the offending rod and piston out, and replace it. Definatly cheaper than a new engine.

Old 12-30-2003, 07:48 PM
TheBrokenMarine
Senior User
Actually Bubba, think that in labor that would be more costly because I'd still need to replace those jacked up gaskets so they don't cause further failure.

Old 12-30-2003, 08:05 PM
97Teal150
New User
Havent been on this site in a long while. Over at ******.com, member Blue Oval Fitter was quoted 1965.00 for a Ford reman long block. 1000.00 core charge.

Old 12-30-2003, 08:06 PM
TheBrokenMarine
Senior User
What!? Why did your post turn into stars?

Quick Reply: Engine TAPPINGS!