1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

3 on the tree shifter broke off!

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2003, 09:00 AM
handyhand
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 3 on the tree shifter broke off!

We have a 1972 F-100 Ranger with a 3 speed Colum shifter and the Shifter broke off clean where it meets at the colum, was hoping to get some tips or instruction for making the nessesary repairs before I start to dig into this project, we have a steering puller allready to go, but after that I have no clue what needs to be removed? Thanks for any help gang! james.

Old 12-29-2003, 01:03 PM
Faithful Old Road Dog
Elder User
From what I recall, if it's just the lever itself, there's a pin that holds it in. The pin is located externally and you should be able to tap it out with a punch and hammer. The lever pivots on that pin. I had to change the actual shift collar before and it wasn't that difficult otherwise I would have remembered how much of a pain it was. I do know that my column shifter got real sloppy and I ended up moving the shifter to the floor. I even changed the bushings that are on the linkage at the column in the engine compartment and at the tranny.

Old 12-29-2003, 03:56 PM
handyhand
New User
thanks

Thanks for the reply, the shifter broke right at that collar and actually took some of the collar with it, so it looks like I will need to replace that collar also, thats the part that intimidated me the most, I am glad you had stated that it was not that hard, I feel better about that, any other tips you guys can provide before I tackle this would be welcome, thanks again! James.

Old 12-29-2003, 04:06 PM
stargazer
Senior User
in my humble opinion, leave it broke off and put in a floor shift, it wont be stock but it will work alot better. the only thing you loose is it a little more uncomfortable for three people to sit in the truck. also, by the time you buy all the parts to fix up the coulmn shift, handle, bushings, coller... etc, ya might as well put in a new floorshift, you will be amazed at how much easier and nicer it is. but then again... thats just my opinion.

Old 12-31-2003, 02:05 PM
Opiewan
Elder User
dennis carpenter has them for 28 bucks, not a pain at all to put on, just takes a little time maybe 20 minutes. also scan the junk yards there is always one out there too.