1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

'59 223 start up

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2003, 12:48 PM
Jeff C.
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'59 223 start up

Hello all. I'm new here and just aquired a '59 half ton with the 223 6. The truck was given to me, and last ran about ten years ago and has sat outside ever since. I'm going to pick up the truck today, and would like to see if I can get her going tonight. Up till now all I've worked on is hot rod Chevy's, but I'd like to keep this old ford mostly stock with a few upgrades. Anyways, I was just going to change the plugs, change oil, run fresh gas to the carb, and probably file the points a bit and just try to fire it up. Is there anything else I should do? Is it necessary to pull the distributor and prime the oil pump? The motor spins over as is, and apparently ran really well when it was parked. And if it turns out this motor is no good, is the later 240/300 6 a bolt in? Thanks for any input in advance.

Old 12-27-2003, 02:57 PM
Col Flashman
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: '59 223 start up

J.C.

You look as if you done this kind of thing before, so keep doing what you've done in the past & always err on the side of caution.
Though I'd change out the Oil & Squirt something in the cylinders to make sure nothing has become stuck over the last 10 years.

215/223/262 blocks are totaly their own Breed of Cat, 240/300 will not just bolt up!

For a 240/300 to work for you, You have to "change the Motor Mounts location, install a Larger Compatible Radiator, mate it to a compatible C-4 or manual tranny, install a New tranny cross member".

And that's just to Basics & off the top of my head.

Originally posted by Jeff C.
Hello all. I'm new here and just aquired a '59 half ton with the 223 6. The truck was given to me, and last ran about ten years ago and has sat outside ever since. I'm going to pick up the truck today, and would like to see if I can get her going tonight. Up till now all I've worked on is hot rod Chevy's, but I'd like to keep this old ford mostly stock with a few upgrades. Anyways, I was just going to change the plugs, change oil, run fresh gas to the carb, and probably file the points a bit and just try to fire it up. Is there anything else I should do? Is it necessary to pull the distributor and prime the oil pump? The motor spins over as is, and apparently ran really well when it was parked. And if it turns out this motor is no good, is the later 240/300 6 a bolt in? Thanks for any input in advance.