Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

U-Haul bans trailer rentals for Ford Explorers

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2004, 08:14 PM
JP Arizona
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is the new U-Haul policy and even if you have a reservation, you will not be able to hitch up when you get to U-Haul. My U-Haul dealer showed me the letter he received that states the new policy.

I sent Ford the following note. If Ford does not get this fixed with U-Haul, then the value of new and used Explorers just went down. I would suggest that all Ford Explorer owners send a simular note to Ford.

https://www.customersaskford.com/Kan...e=fordVehicles

Dear Ford,

I was recently informed by U-Haul that my Ford Explorer was not an acceptable towing vehicle and that they are refusing to allow Ford Explorer owners to use any of their equipment.

They indicated that it was not a specific safety concern, but it was safety related.

I want to know what is wrong with my Ford Explorer that makes it unsafe to tow with.

I have used my Explorer many times for towing and have never had a problem, so the U-Haul policy is quite a surprise.

This U-Haul policy reduces the value of all Explorer vehicles (including new ones that are yet to be sold). If the perception is that Ford makes a SUV that is not safe for towing, then why would anybody buy one?

Regards ............ John

Old 01-05-2004, 08:50 PM
CobraXP
Logistics Pro
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
JP - first off - Welcome to FTE!

I really don't think this will hurt the resell of Explorers. This is going to hurt U-Haul more than they know. They are already in trouble (financially), long before this, and this will take even more out of their income. Think of the number of Explorers that have been sold and are on the road since their creation. This is the number of lost business they will have.

As I said earlier - U-Haul will never see my business again - no matter what my needs are or vehicle I plan to use. That is a 'Been There - Done That' situation I care not to repeat.

Old 01-05-2004, 11:07 PM
2muchcoffeeman
New User
Angry Sport Trac no, Ranger yes -- wha?

Just for kicks, I went through the trailer rental section of www.uhaul.com and selected a Ford Explorer Sport Trac 4x4, which the server nixed.

Then I tried a Ranger Supercab 4x4, which is on the same basic chassis and wheelbase as the Sport Trac. Guess what? Worked like a charm, with the server politely informing me that "our records indicate that this is a recommended towing setup."

My next trick was to run a 1989 Bronco II through U-Haul's server for a one-way trailer rental. No problem whatsoever. Then a '78 CJ-5, successfully. Same for an '86 Suzuki Samurai, an '04 Jeep Liberty and an 03 6cyl Wrangler, with the caveat that it would have to have a hard top.

I can see not towing with the original Bronco II and the two-door short wheelbase Sport models, but a Sport Trac (as long a wheelbase as a Ranger SuperCab) should have no problem with any U-Haul trailer.

Old 01-06-2004, 01:47 AM
brianjwilson
Senior User
Dogman, the Ranger has a longer wheel base, atleast the supercab does, and makes it a more stable towing platform. Aside from that, what probably happened is a bunch of "soccer-mom's" with Ford Explorers rented u-haul trailers and loaded them wrong. Mix that with someone who doesn't know how to pull a trailer and next thing you know U-haul is being sued by a few Explorer owners. Looking at it from a business standpoint, they figure renting to Explorers is a liability for them right now, so they just don't do it. Remember a while back when a bunch of people were rolling over the 15 passenger vans? Most of them were rentals with inexperienced drivers behind the wheel, and people who weren't wearing seatbelts, and the manufacturers got sued for it!
There's probably a similar situation going on with a couple Explorer owners who rented U-hauls. Personally, I think it's stupid
I'm sure the Explorer makes a great light/medium towing platform for people who know how to drive. A few idiots always have to ruin it for everyone else though...

Old 01-06-2004, 06:52 PM
dogman
Elder User
brianjwilson, I under stand that your saying about the wheel base, and I have a short wheel base ranger and it's not much longer than my explorer sport . People go rent trailers and have no clue that to do when the trailer starts doing the wiggle thing.It just blow my mind. I've driven 18 wheelers for 14 years and ever time I see something new. Seen this today man and his wife towing a boat and it was not on the trailer ball the safety chains where hold it to the truck. The man would not stop to fix it. Fhp had to pull him over to fix it. People are nuts or stupid!

Old 01-06-2004, 08:47 PM
4.0 Beast
Elder User
c'mon guys, its common sense uhaul is doing this because of the drivers and not the trucks. how can you say or tell me that an explorer is not suitable to tow with. bull you-know-what. the v-8 explorer works just fine when towing any of your towing needs like a small boat, a jet skit, or a quad. i even use my 1992 v-6 to tow a stang on a full car trailer with the old ball and hitch. works fine for me, yea there's sway but big deal, just deal with it and drive accordingly. you think i or anyone gives a darn about tanny or engine wear and tear? for christs sakes, its a 1992 (or whatever year if its an older one). if you get a newer or brand new one, just get the v-8. uhaul has this new policy because of the drivers and not the truck....imo they are doing the right thing and covering there behinds......regardless which is at fault, the truck or the driver.

Old 01-06-2004, 09:21 PM
rb26powered
Junior User
This is funny, so I'll add my two cents.
First of all I'd like to comment on the guy who mentioned somewhere in the thread that he did 90mph pulling a trailer, that's just plain ignorant in any discipline.
I have a 97 Explorer V8, went to Florida to pickup my 14' boat I had in storage and drove it back to California without any problems. My Explorer is equipped with all the proper equipment to ensure safe trailering..that is the key. I remembered my father showing me all the right ways of trailering many years ago. I believe there should be licensing laws for people who intend on pulling trailers, because it's no simple task. I envy the big rig drivers especially when I see them maneuvering those mammoth beasts in and around tight spots, and they went to school to be certified to operate these rigs...small trailers should be no different as it requires skills and knowledge to tow anything behind your vehicle.
On a final note, Uhaul deserves to go bankrupt, their fleet vehicles are poorly maintained and are a safety hazard to say the least. I should know, I rented one in October and it was a frightening experience. The problems are definitely not in the Ford Explorers. Problems most always lie in the end user regardless of what negative scenario in life you experience.
Okay, one more final note, In high school, I had a 73 Mazda RX-2 which my dad installed a tow hitch on so I could pull my two dirt bikes to the track, I never recalled any scarey situation while pulling it on the freeway. I had to pass my dad's certification of approval before he would let me trailer the bikes which consisted of numerous hours of practicing for a month and him following behind me to make sure I was doing everything right. I'm following his lead and showing my 16 year old daughter on proper ways of rigging and towing a trailer.
thanks everyone for your time and wish everyone a wonderful new year!

Old 01-07-2004, 07:20 AM
JP Arizona
New User
This is the reply I received from Ford. It is not very satisfactory and I will be sending a second note.

Dear John,

Thank you for your message of 01/5/04 regarding your 1997 Ford Explorer.
We appreciate the time you have taken to write us with your inquiry
towards the currents events surrounding Uhaul Rental and the Ford
Explorer.

We regret the circumstances that have prompted you to contact us and ask
that you please accept our apology for any frustration or inconvenience
you may have experienced as a result of this situation.

However, please note that the Ford Motor Company has no affiliation with
Uhaul Rental, and therefore we do not have any jurisdiction or influence
towards the policies and procedures in which Uhaul chooses to practice.

Ford Motor Company makes every effort to maintain a high standard of
quality control in our manufacturing process. We pride ourselves on
becoming the worlds leading consumer company for automotive products and
services.

Our goal is to provide first-rate customer solutions to valued customers
such as yourself. Your loyalty is valued and appreciated.

We would like you to continue to enjoy the many Ford products and
services which we have to offer.

At Ford Motor Company, we consider the satisfaction of our customers as
one of our most important objectives. If you have any other inquiries
or concerns, please feel free to contact us and we will be happy to
address them.

Thank you for contacting Ford Motor Company.

Sincerely,
Phil
Ford Motor Company
Customer Relationship Center

Old 01-07-2004, 07:22 AM
JP Arizona
New User
Below is my second note to Ford on this issue:

Dear Ford,

You did not answer the fundamental question.

What is the safety problem with using my Ford Explorer as a tow vehicle?

If there is no problem, then Ford should be all over U-Haul for disparaging
the top selling SUV. Since you don't inform me that Ford has contacted
U-Haul and demanded that this practice be stopped, the current owners of
Explorers must assume that there are problems with Explorers that support
U-Haul's position.

I tow frequently with my Explorer and I deserve to know if this is an unsafe
practice and just what is the nature of the problems that led to this policy
at U-Haul.

I understand that Ford does not run U-Haul, but you do have an obligation to
protect the Explorer owners if there are problems towing with explorers and
if there are no problems, then Ford must act to protect their share holders
for having the brand devalued.

I think that there is plenty of justification for Ford to act in this matter
and not sit on the sidelines.

Regards ..................... John

Old 01-07-2004, 07:40 AM
jclj2003
Senior User
wow you whent to town on them RIP THEM A NEW ONE lol hope they o find out why

Old 01-07-2004, 07:56 AM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
U-Haul as a company has gone so far downhill that I couldn't care less what they say about anything. Their service line went to the dogs a long time ago, including truck/trailor rentals, fleet maintenance, installations, etc. I wouldn't let them near my Ranger nor will I rent anything from them. They do have some quality products that you can purchase and have installed elsewhere.

Think of the irony: U-Haul won't let a 2002 4x4 Explorer pull around one of their crappy trailors, but they will go ahead and happily hook one up to an '81 Dodge K-Car that can no longer even make the maximum 82HP that it had out of the factory, with holes in the floorboards, squeaky brakes, bald tires, etc. Simply ludicrous.

Old 01-07-2004, 03:53 PM
dogman
Elder User
There is a up side to this we wont be degradeing are explorers with U-haul junk, and less U-haul junk on the road is a good thing. LOL

Old 01-07-2004, 04:50 PM
CdnSoldier
Senior User
Hey Fellas
The U haul dealer where I live in Ontario Cdn went out of business. I tow a qual Ski doo trailer ( holds 4 Sleds for you southern folk) , through snow and down the hwy,with no problems at all. I also tow my 21 ft tent trailer with both my Aerostar and my wife’s Explorer.
I like my Aero for the hwy though lots of torque and power. But in some parks the Explorer would come in handy. I have gotten stuck in a park or two, due to the lower ground clearance of the Aerostar.
I have phoned the Rider dealer and two other truck and trailer dealers. They have no problems with the Explorer. They do have a restrictions listing for some smaller cars. For weight and speed limit. One T&T dealer also owns the Ford dealership was laughing because as stated the Ranger, Navajo, Mountaineer are the same. He thinks it is because of the Firestone Tyre BS and not the veh. For he did receive a load rating notes for Firestones.

Last edited by CdnSoldier; 01-07-2004 at 04:55 PM.
Old 01-08-2004, 05:15 AM
babalu
Freshman User
I've gotta agree with CobraXP on this one guys. I've towed with my '96 5.0 for years with no problem. The Explorer is not the problem here, Yahoos that don't know what their doing is. Proper brake control setting, Anti sway bar setting, Spring bar tension are just a few items that need to be addressed before setting out on a journey, or even just going across town. Towing at a rate your comfortable with and knowing how the your rig handles in all situautions is critical with any tow vehicle. Know your vehicle!

Old 01-08-2004, 07:13 AM
jpsartre12
Posting Guru
Originally posted by 4.0 Beast
c'mon guys, its common sense uhaul is doing this because of the drivers and not the trucks. how can you say or tell me that an explorer is not suitable to tow with. bull you-know-what. the v-8 explorer works just fine when towing any of your towing needs like a small boat, a jet skit, or a quad. i even use my 1992 v-6 to tow a stang on a full car trailer with the old ball and hitch. works fine for me, yea there's sway but big deal, just deal with it and drive accordingly. you think i or anyone gives a darn about tanny or engine wear and tear? for christs sakes, its a 1992 (or whatever year if its an older one). if you get a newer or brand new one, just get the v-8. uhaul has this new policy because of the drivers and not the truck....imo they are doing the right thing and covering there behinds......regardless which is at fault, the truck or the driver.
U-Haul won't rent a trailer for use with an Explorer because they are part of at least two big dollar lawsuits related to the Firestone tire fiasco. They just did a short segment on it on the local Detroit radio station that's covering the 2004 Detroit Auto Show.

Quick Reply: U-Haul bans trailer rentals for Ford Explorers