Ford-Powered Motorhomes - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines

Ford-Powered Motorhomes

Old 04-09-2001, 02:32 PM
TallPaul
Post Fiend
TallPaul is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Ford-Powered Motorhomes

Anyone have a Ford-Powered motorhome? I wonder if there are enough folks to warrant a forum (Possibility Ken?). Reason I ask is I just put money down on a Ford-Powered motorhome. I wasn't all that thrilled about spending so much money, but when I saw it was Ford-Powered, I kinda lost it (thought bubbles: "its a truck--yeah" ... "a REAL BIG truck--yeah" ... "and its a FORD--Oh Yeah!"). It's a 26-footer with a twin-I-Beam front suspension (thinks an E450 chassis) and has a fuel injected 460 V8 (245hp/380ft.lbs)--SWEET! When I mashed the pedal that baby moved out pretty good. Don't think wife's 3.0 Aerostar is much faster. If I buy this I probably will be wanting to discuss motorhomes on this site (and may be working two jobs ;-).

Old 04-09-2001, 05:40 PM
jowilker
Post Fiend
jowilker is a splendid one to beholdjowilker is a splendid one to beholdjowilker is a splendid one to beholdjowilker is a splendid one to beholdjowilker is a splendid one to beholdjowilker is a splendid one to beholdjowilker is a splendid one to beholdjowilker is a splendid one to behold
Ford-Powered Motorhomes

Paul, Looks like you are on to something there. I do have a concern for you though, knowing who you like your little I6s. You will take that 460 out on a nice long road trip, and after you have filled that big ol gas tank a couple-three times and you still have a long ways to go, you could have a heart attack.

We'll keep you in our prayers. :-)

John
jowilker
[link:www.ford-trucks.net/users/jowilker|Club FTE since 01 01] My FTE Page

[link:www.ford-trucks.net/users/jowilker/NCFTE.html|NC Truck Owners] NC Ford Truck owners group

66F100s Rule
In the cool still quite of night you can hear chevies rusting away.

Old 04-10-2001, 12:45 AM
greg58
Senior User
greg58 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Ford-Powered Motorhomes

Aw Joe, that is what vacation is for, to spend money you wouldn't ordinarily spend. No freedom better than burning some petro on the open road! Go for it TallPaul, show your family this big beautiful country.

Old 04-10-2001, 05:42 AM
TallPaul
Post Fiend
Ford-Powered Motorhomes

Thanks for the warning. I expect fuel mileage around 9 or so. My 300 I6 with 2000 lb trailer was suckin it down at about 10-11 mpg, so it shouldn't be too much more of a shock. Probably my biggest regret is I won't be towing with my I6 F150 anymore. That was like pickup truck heaven towing through the rocky mountains with a stick and an I6. Also, the motorhome has a slushbox so the wife can take it out on short trips when I am too busy at work. Well at least it is a C6 (they said). Gotta check it all out for sure. I did notice that the I-beams on the late 90s E350/E450 motorhomes are much more massive than on the 1990 model. And when you get into the Class A chassis I believe they go to monobeam and leaf springs in the front.

Old 10-07-2002, 10:14 AM
ralphie123
New User
ralphie123 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Ford-Powered Motorhomes

Well, I've got a 36' RV, 460, with a full Banks intake/exhaust, and still beat you at about 6mpg. If pulling a toad, about 5.5mpg. And fuel prices are going up!!!!!

Old 10-07-2002, 10:51 AM
TallPaul
Post Fiend
Ford-Powered Motorhomes

Well, after 1.5 years with this thing and several trips totalling about 6000 miles or so, it averages around 7.5 to 8 mpg. Course I'm driving 65 mph most of the time.

Old 10-07-2002, 08:38 PM
FortyFords
Post Fiend
FortyFords is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Ford-Powered Motorhomes

Paul ,
I been there done that yrs ago,I still have my 86 e350 motorhome
its only got 46,000 on it,bought it brand new 26ft fully self contained .the best I ever got after tuneups was 9-10 mpgs not towing anything.
It really drops off when towing the boat or the toad.Its been sitting in my storage building the last couple yrs.
Well as time deals us many blows ,I went to use it this summer and the fridge let go, amonia gas smell,tubing sprung a leak ,needs a new fridge
not cheap over a $1000 ,I'll fix it this winter ,problably gonna sell it
in the spring .
If i was going to do it again I'd get a diesel.

Good luck with yours!
Rich

Old 10-07-2002, 10:18 PM
Vampiro
Postmaster
Vampiro is starting off with a positive reputation.
Ford-Powered Motorhomes

my dad and i have a motorhome. it's a 79 dpodge 360. i know it iant ford but still the basic idea is the same. i've been bugging him about getting newer used rig. he's thinkin about it. tryin for ford too!

Old 10-08-2002, 06:07 AM
ralphie123
New User
ralphie123 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Ford-Powered Motorhomes

Wow, I didn't notice when I jumped in here that your post was made in 4/01. Guess I pulled it out of near retirement LOL. Anyway, about 7.5 is what I used to get with a 27' Class C, also with a 460 engine. You're doing OK.

Old 10-15-2002, 06:55 AM
TallPaul
Post Fiend
Ford-Powered Motorhomes

If I had the money to get a custom motorhome, it would be on the SuperDuty pickup chassis with a six speed stick. Forget this cutaway van chassis stuff. It makes for one tight engine bay.

Old 10-15-2002, 07:54 AM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
FTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputation
Ford-Powered Motorhomes

Wouldn't a motorhome fit under "Super Duty/Heavy Duty"? Just another variation on a heavy duty chassis.

Old 10-15-2002, 08:01 AM
TallPaul
Post Fiend
Ford-Powered Motorhomes

>Wouldn't a motorhome fit under "Super Duty/Heavy Duty"?
>Just another variation on a heavy duty chassis.

You are right. Guess I was thinking if there was enough action on motorhomes alone, but there are motorhome sites for that. But it really dosen't belong in "General Conversation." Ken, would you be able to move this thread to the "Super Duty/Heavy Duty" forum?

Old 10-18-2002, 09:03 AM
sgaubatz
New User
sgaubatz is starting off with a positive reputation.
Ford-Powered Motorhomes

I had a 1997 Winnebago 34'RQ with a slide & the 460, It kept blowing the R/Side exhaust manifold gaskets, had it fixed 3 times by others. The 4th time I pulled it off had it milled .030" shortened the bolts, and installed it without a gasket and it lasted until I traded it in on a 38' Diesel Pusher with the 330 CAT what a diference in mileage. With the 460 I averaged about 6.5 MPG with the new MotorHome its 10MPG and flies down the road.

Old 10-18-2002, 09:19 AM
TallPaul
Post Fiend
Ford-Powered Motorhomes

>I had a 1997 Winnebago 34'RQ with a slide & the 460, It kept
>blowing the R/Side exhaust manifold gaskets, had it fixed 3
>times by others. The 4th time I pulled it off had it milled
>.030" shortened the bolts, and installed it without a gasket
>and it lasted until I traded it in on a 38' Diesel Pusher
>with the 330 CAT what a diference in mileage. With the 460 I
>averaged about 6.5 MPG with the new MotorHome its 10MPG and
>flies down the road.

Your 34-footer must have been a pretty heavy rig. My 27-footer is about 10,000 lbs. I believe they run the 460 in rigs twice that heavy and can see why those folks would be buying all the Banks' power products. I heard Ford bought Cummins and if so, I wonder if the 5.9 straight six diesel would be a good motorhome engine.

Old 11-17-2002, 07:15 PM
Smile_1
New User
Smile_1 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Ford-Powered Motorhomes

Like the idea about a forum for RV's. I also have a 97 460 Class A. I had the same problem, as well as some of my fellow rv'ers witht he right exhust manifold bolts and it cracking. Most of us have put on headers of some type. Seems this is a KNOWN problem with ford but they don't want to admit it.

I do have a current problem. My engine will quit idling after 3-5 minutes when I first start it up. Had it into several dealerships her several times, but if it doesn't show up on the computer they don't know what to do. I just read in another forum about the IAC valve being a possible fix, anyone else with this problem and had it fixed??

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ford-Powered Motorhomes

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.