1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

young guy with more questions!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2003, 10:12 PM
bluespark11
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question young guy with more questions!!!

Hey Guys,
I'm looking to upgrade the suspension in my 64 F-100. I want somehthing that will really grab the road. Something I can take a hair-pen turn going about 65 or 70 mps. (You know what I mean.) I heard some good things about "Mustand II IFS SYstem" but I was wondering if i could put something like a newer cobra racing suspension. Too be honest I really don't know which one whould give the best performance on the speedy back roads. Any suggestion would be very helpful! Thanks And marry X-mas!!

Bluespark11

Old 12-20-2003, 05:22 AM
ddavidv
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Late model Mustang stuff won't work. It's a half-assed strut suspension (that honestly is pretty awful).
The usual fix for the pre-65's is to install a different subframe and suspension. I don't know if the M-II bolts on easily or not. I've seen Dodge Diplomat clips used...okay but not great. There is also a number of guys using Aerostar subframes. Search on this site awhile and you'll find a lot about these.
Your truck will never, ever handle like a sports car, so put that thought away now.

Old 12-20-2003, 11:04 PM
Rosati
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A lot of your problems will stem around the fram rail spacing. You should really decide what it is you want to do with your truck before taking action though. There are several options for custom suspension setups that are not bolt on but can be configured if you have the knowledge.
On the market now are three choices if you want a selection,
1. Mustang II from Fatman Fabrications
2. Dakota IFS from Industrail Chassis
3. Corvette IFS from Progressive Automotive
These are available in kit form and require welding and fabrication.

Alternatively, you can find several donor vehicles to rob the front clip from but it's trail and error to get it right.

Old 12-22-2003, 06:29 AM
William
Logistics Pro
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I'd recommend you buy health insurance, a helmet, five point seat harness and have at it. My guess is that you will wreck this truck before to long. Hopefully you will survive this stage in your life and have children, a mortgage, and an old truck to work on. Like the rest of us!