Dumped Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2003, 03:30 PM
xallxforxchristx
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dumped Exhaust

I was considering getting an exhaust setup with a Flowmaster 40 Series muffler and dumping it under the bed. Will I lose any performance by doing this? Also, will there be any noticable sound changes by dumping it rather running it straight out the back? Any help would be grateful, thanks.

Old 12-17-2003, 04:40 PM
rusty70f100
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It'll be loud. I have standard no-name high flow mufflers and side exit dual exhaust, exiting right behind the cab. The drone about kills ya on the highway. The farther back you go the better you'll like it. It'll still be loud when you get on it, but just driving it you wont go nuts.

Old 12-17-2003, 05:11 PM
akford351
Posting Guru
Yup it'll be quite a bit louder on the inside and a bit louder and deeper on the outside. I think Flow 40s natural resonance and dumping combine for a noisy interior ride.

Old 12-17-2003, 10:27 PM
badassfordpu
Junior User
dumps sound great! loud as hell and very hot rod but rusty is right on the money! gets really annoying after a while. had to get rid of mine! do miss the hard core rumble seemed like lost some power once I went to tail pipes.

Old 12-17-2003, 10:41 PM
f100guy
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
dumping often causes everything inside to rattle and shake. if you want to hear somebody talking then don't do it

Old 12-18-2003, 08:55 AM
xallxforxchristx
Senior User
How long did it take before the noise became annoyingly excessive? If I did a single in, dual out with dual turn downs, would that give me the vesitility to convert to duals out the back?

Old 12-18-2003, 09:10 AM
f100guy
Postmaster
yeah you can put those out the back that is what i used to have on my 90 f150. it might be a week or so before you start hating it. you might blow your speakers just to hear them.

Old 12-18-2003, 12:41 PM
akford351
Posting Guru
Yeah I ran mine dumped for about a couple months...
My girlfriend HATED it. LOL
Said it sounded stupid or something... Then again I was running a Flow 40 original SI/DO w/no cat.

Old 12-18-2003, 02:49 PM
rusty70f100
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by f100guy
...if you want to hear somebody talking then don't do it
Then again, this could be a good thing!

Old 12-18-2003, 04:11 PM
dirtbiker
New User
I have had mine domped for about a year and a half. I love it, people can hear you coming before they even see you. The power is a bit better too. Try cutting out your cats and put in two high-flow cats, an x-pipe and 2 40 flowmasters. It will gain you more power and a bit more sound. I will be doing this during the summer time. I have a 2 month old boy and when i put him in the truck it doesn't even bother him.

Old 12-18-2003, 04:35 PM
nd4spd
Senior User
Mines dumped, had it done for about 6 mo now, for the first few weeks it was great, but it does get annoying, but the truck was *on blocks* for a week or two and when igot it fixed i didnt realize how much i missed the sound....i got two 40series flowmasters, no cats......it is loud as hell, ppl can hear me coming a mile away......my girlfriend loves it....but not when i gas it up, she gets whiplash reeeeeal bad hahaha, especially when i dump it down into second haha....mine is great on the interstate....you can barely hear it in the cab.....but tooling around town it can get kinda bad, but thats cool, cuz who wants to hear their old lady talking anyways??!? Id rather put in some Def Leppard or some Van Halen myself, and crank up the tunes.....you might have to crank them up aways to hear the music.....but hell i sometimes turn off the radio so i can hear the rumble....it sounds sweet as hell sitting at a stop light or whatnot....i love to open up the back glass....you can even hear it better that way.....butttt...mine isnt quite loud enuff for me....wanting to go long tube headers....give it some more rumble, power too....anyways hope that helps you out some....but if i had the chance, i would do it all over again.....true duals sounds kick a$$

Old 12-18-2003, 06:40 PM
xallxforxchristx
Senior User
Bringing up the concept of true duals, I've heard that it is illegal to modify your original exhaust configuration. Does anyone know if that's true or not? I live in Texas and it could just be a Texas thing, but I also heard that it's illegal to touch working cats. Anyone know about that one also?

Old 12-18-2003, 07:41 PM
modru2004
Elder User
to be honest with you it doesnt' really matter. if the truck can pass emissions and isn't loud enough to get you pulled over, (some citys have noise laws) then you can run true duals, put on high flow cats or whatever. i have yet to see a cop crawl under a truck to see what it was running. as for inspections it dosen't really matter how it looks as long as the exhaust is in good shape and it passes the emission testing. psst some places in texas don't do it even though they are supposed to.

Old 12-18-2003, 10:57 PM
f100guy
Postmaster
i live in texas and i have true duals. people here have straight pipes on there trucks. nothing but pipe. my truck is like this now because i have no money.

Old 12-19-2003, 09:54 AM
xallxforxchristx
Senior User
My emissiions requirements might be more strick being that I live in Dallas/Fort Worth. I'm not sure about that though. I'll probably go and talk to some people at the local shops about converting to true duals sometime during the break. Although my timeframe might change because I now have to pay off a speeding ticket that I got yesterday going to school. One question though, if I am able to move to true duals, will two flowmaster 40 series be louder than just one or will thay be about the same volume?

Quick Reply: Dumped Exhaust