a few questions - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices

a few questions

Old 12-16-2003, 07:02 PM
fonefifty50
New User
fonefifty50 is starting off with a positive reputation.
a few questions

ive had my 97 f-150 for awhile and ive been wanting to do some changes.. its a longbed xl 4.2l with a automatic.. its got around 120,000 miles on it. how long will these motors go before they need a rebuild? its been well taken care of and i do tune ups when its time.. also how much will it cost to have it rebuilt? would the 4.2 be able to with stand a lift kit and some bigger tires? are there any kind of motor and transmisson mods i can do? maybe even some stuff to make it look better?? thanks..

-John

Old 12-16-2003, 08:18 PM
true4.2
Postmaster
true4.2 is starting off with a positive reputation.
First of all Welcome To FTE!

Yes, there are tons of mods you could do to your truck. Anything from intakes, exhaust, headers, wheels, gears, and so on! Check these sights out:

www.motorhaven.com
www.seffects.com
www.truckperformance.com
www.macperformance.com

I think it really depends on how you drive your truck and take care of it to determine how long it will last. If you are taking care of it like you say, then I'd say you should be all right. Check this sight out for certain problems your truck runs into down the road:

www.leakingfords.com

Hey, if you have the money get the lift and put some mudders on there! I'm more of a street guy myself, but I'm all for jacking up a truck!

As far as a price on how much a rebuilt 4.2 is...guys?

Old 12-16-2003, 09:48 PM
fonefifty50
New User
thanks for the welcome id drop it to the ground but doesnt hydros cost more then a lift kit? also how would a long bed look droped?? any pictures?? thanks

-John

Old 12-16-2003, 09:56 PM
fonefifty50
New User
also thanks for those links but one more thing.. can someone tell me what parts maybe theve used and got the most gain from? headers, chips , cai , ext. thanks again

Old 12-16-2003, 10:49 PM
horizonhuskies
Posting Guru
horizonhuskies is starting off with a positive reputation.
I think the biggest gain people have seen in a small amounts of money is an intake, exhaust, and a diablo chip from motorhaven.com

Tom saw .4 seconds off his 1.4 mile time

Garrett

Old 12-17-2003, 07:33 AM
BlueOvalFitter
Posting Guru
BlueOvalFitter is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Ive been kicking the idea around about lowering the rear of my truck to give it that leveled look. I am also looking into putting some 2002-2003 GT Mustang rims on it too.I want the ones that look like the 60s American Racing version.(You old farts out there know which ones i'm talking about)

Old 12-17-2003, 12:02 PM
Jimmy Dean
Postmaster
Jimmy Dean has a very good reputation on FTE.Jimmy Dean has a very good reputation on FTE.Jimmy Dean has a very good reputation on FTE.Jimmy Dean has a very good reputation on FTE.
Mags? the ones on the MAch 1?

Old 12-23-2003, 11:12 PM
MJEmerson
Senior User
MJEmerson is starting off with a positive reputation.
I am personally a stock guy...and think the truck will last longer. But heck whats the use of having it if ya dont like the look. I say modify it all ya want but just be aware of the excess wear of a truck thats been lifted, and modified. The excess wear gets even worse when you do a low bugdet mod.

Old 12-24-2003, 02:46 AM
V6Mustang
Senior User
V6Mustang is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally posted by BlueOvalFitter
Ive been kicking the idea around about lowering the rear of my truck to give it that leveled look. I am also looking into putting some 2002-2003 GT Mustang rims on it too.I want the ones that look like the 60s American Racing version.(You old farts out there know which ones i'm talking about)
Like these?
'01 GT "Bullit" wheels

Sorry for the bad angle..it's the only one I have

Old 12-24-2003, 03:45 AM
BlueOvalFitter
Posting Guru
BlueOvalFitter is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Yeah V6Mustang,those are the ones! Wouldnt those look bad azz on a LWB F150? And Jimmy Dean,those are outta my league!

Old 12-24-2003, 06:11 PM
V6Mustang
Senior User
V6Mustang is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally posted by BlueOvalFitter
(You old farts out there know which ones i'm talking about)
And I'm not old

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.