Troubleshooting Stealth Power Problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2003, 01:28 PM
arizonius
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Troubleshooting Stealth Power Problem

Hi,

I just bought an '89 Bronco which needs a little TLC. I've managed to hammer out many problems, mostly related to wiring, body, etc. It's a 5.0L.

However I am having one problem in which I'm stumped (not so familiar with mechanics of the truck/fords). I am hoping that by my description, you may be able to tell me some possibilities, or maybe where to start looking. I'll go into a little detail in hopes that this helps your opinions/diagnosis.

When the truck is a little warm, and when driving the truck seems to lose power when going higher speeds (30+). Seems to happen mainly when under a slight load (heater on, going up small grade hills, etc) The loss of power is happens when the gear is in OD, but if I stomp it, the tranny will downshift and I get power that way. So.. I get up to my needed speed, tranny upshifts, and I lose power again. Just seems not to want to "go".

Basically, to maintian speed, I've got to have it in 2nd. Also - the check engine light blinks when this happens, and it's intermittant.

I did have the mechanic fix one problem, and I'll mention it because it could be related. When I got the truck I couldn't stop w/out it stalling. They cleaned out the throttle body and that took care of 90% of that problem. It only stalls occassionally now. Apparently the previous owner didn't take very good care of the truck - lots of dirty stuff.

I replaced all filters (including fuel), PCV, plugs, rotor, etc. etc. I'm hoping I don't have to bring this in the shop over and over for them to try to troubleshoot the prob and pay for replacement parts as a process of elimination.

Your opinions are much needed! Hope to at least troubleshoot this without a dozen trips to the mechanic! Thanks!

Old 12-14-2003, 09:49 PM
Bodyman Chuck
Senior User
going to slow for overdrive.what size tire is on it?

Old 12-14-2003, 09:56 PM
Corey872
Senior User
Question

First of all, congrats on your new purchase. Although "have an 89 bronco" and "I'm hoping I don't have to bring this in the shop over and over..." usually aren't seen in the same post too often, there are some steps to minimize the hit in the wallet.

First get a decent shop manual for the truck...chiltons or haynes is OK, a full blown Helms manual would be ideal, but cost more. Second reference the manual and pull your trouble codes. If the engine light is on, there is a code(s) stored in the computer. Finally, step through the procedure on tracking down that code. If the ultimate repair is beyond you, head for the shop, but you may find out that it is as simple as a bad sensor or something else which has been affected by neglect.

Good Luck

Old 12-15-2003, 10:11 AM
iskybantilus
Elder User
sounds like it might have something to do with the torque converter. Stalling when trying to stop ... torque converter is staying locked up, or engaging to rapidly? just a thought.. definately want to check the codes.

Old 12-15-2003, 08:05 PM
arizonius
New User
Originally posted by Bodyman Chuck
going to slow for overdrive.what size tire is on it?
Should have been clearer on this. It's an automatic - I was referring to OD as the D/OD gear selector position. Not sure of the tire size (truck is in the shop right now getting some suspension bushings put on) though I do know they are larger than stock.

Old 12-15-2003, 08:08 PM
arizonius
New User
You guys metion checking the codes. That would have been my first move, but from other things I've read I was under the impression that if the CE light isn't on permenantly (if it occassionaly blinks) that the system would't store the code.

Am I mistaken on this?