Oil & Lubrication  

Synthetic performance: WOW

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2003, 08:45 PM
B C fx4 Level II
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Synthetic performance: WOW

Am I crazy or does synthetic oil make that much difference with performance?
My Dealer kept trying to run Motorcraft 5w-20 Semi synthetic blend in my Brand new Ranger which was labeled 5w-30 on the oil cap and manual. But Thanks to everybody's advice on this forum, I would not let them do it again...
Bit the bullet and converted to Motorcraft 5w-30 Full synthetic motor oil on my 2003 Ranger FX4 level II 4.0L SOHC 9,000 miles.
The reason I did it was for engine protection, I was not expexcting my engine to be so much quieter, smoother and have better excelleration, but it does. And the cold weather startups are fantastic, it seems the lube is up there in seconds. ( it's been getting below freezing at night lately )
Is my performance so much better from having the proper Viscosity in my engine? or is synthetic oil that good.
Also does anybody know if Motorcraft 5w-30 Full synthetic motor oil is indeed a True synthetic Like Mobil 1, and how the numbers stack up against the tried and true synthetics?
Are other people getting the same performance results I did when switching to the likes of mobil 1 ? or other true synthetics????????

Old 12-13-2003, 08:54 PM
rusty70f100
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I doubt it. I think the psychological factor has a -LOT- more to do with it. You may gain 1-2hp with synthetic fluids (even that's questionable), and the 5w20 should be better for HP than the 5w30. In general, lower viscosity oils have less friction than higher ones. This is why racers use 2 or 5 weight oil for qualifying. Probably the 5w30 was a little lower in the viscosity range for 30 weight.

Old 12-13-2003, 09:33 PM
B C fx4 Level II
Senior User
I have driven a lot of miles and a lot of different types of vehicles since getting my driver's license in 1971....
And I am not crazy, my engine is half as loud than it was with the Dino oil. Very noticeable at running Temp.

Old 12-14-2003, 09:35 AM
jim henderson
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have used syn for over 20 years and never was really able to detect a difference between dino and syn at operating temperature. I have not used dino in any vehicle I owned since then except for my wife's van until I switched to syn at 30K. Did not notice a difference.

However, at very cold temps I do notice that the syn pumps right away and the engine turns just like it does when warm. Don't know if the dino in my wife's van caused slower starups since we always parked it inside and it was a 5W30 dino which should theoretically pumps easy at freezing.

Mileage and power gains should be in the noise level for most of us. Afterall until you get say 10% gains in either you probably won't feel it or detect it reliably. In my 94 460, a 10% gain in mileage is about 1mph. My mileage varies by about 2mpg in day to day driving. A 10% power gain is not usually feelable by the buttometer.

Noise and smoothness however are detectable, but I have not really noticed, but then it has been a long time since I ran dino and then switched to syn.

But there is plenty of lab testing, and I don''t mean onesy twosy oil analysis. Valid scientific testing requires millions of miles and many tests, which I assume none of us can afford to do. I mean long term tests by oil companies, that point to syn being better for long term wear, temperature tolerance, oxidation etc. All the dino oils tout thier "almost synthetic like" performance, so Syn must have something going for it since all the majors try to match it with dino.

Don't get me wrong, dino, especially current formulations are excellent and many are very close to syn in performance. Syn is more of a religion for many of us. We have read there are numerous advantages so we use it. Kind of like putting premium gas in your Geo Metro to treat it good. Most people will never need premium gas and not use the advantages of syn.

If you tow, drive in extreme temperatures or go for extended drains(7.5K is extended in my mind), have a fresh new engine and plan to drive forever, then syn may be right for you. If you change every 3K, have an older engine, "burn oil", don't tow, don't drive in extremes(without changing viscosity) then dino would be excellent for you.

I personally use syn at my first oil change on all my cars since 1980, except for the wife's van. I have never torn down an engine using syn so I have not seen for myself the "miraculous cleanliness and no wear" that syn gives, there are plenty of lab tests and pictures thjat do show that. So I do believe, that's my religion.

Whatever you use, use the correct API and SAE spec good quality oil for your engine, change regularly and stick with it. No matter what my opinions are, you won't go wrong with this one. If it does make your engine run smoother and quieter etc, excellent.

Note I do not like 0W30 syn. I used it twice in my Chebby in the winter, and it made a lot of valve clatter on cold startup. 5W30 syn works excellent in all my vehicles.

Good Luck,

Jim Henderson

Old 12-14-2003, 10:05 AM
jschira
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
But there is plenty of lab testing, and I don''t mean onesy twosy oil analysis. Valid scientific testing requires millions of miles and many tests, which I assume none of us can afford to do. I mean long term tests by oil companies, that point to syn being better for long term wear, temperature tolerance, oxidation etc. All the dino oils tout thier "almost synthetic like" performance, so Syn must have something going for it since all the majors try to match it with dino.
Actualy, there has been a "millions of miles" real-world test. Oil and filter changed every 5000 miles. All engines run for 100,000 miles, torn down and inspected. No noticeable difference between ANY oil, dino or syn.

Don't get me wrong, dino, especially current formulations are excellent and many are very close to syn in performance. Syn is more of a religion for many of us. We have read there are numerous advantages so we use it. Kind of like putting premium gas in your Geo Metro to treat it good. Most people will never need premium gas and not use the advantages of syn.
OK. So long as you recognize this, I've got no complaint. Sort of the theory that "nothing can be too good".

Old 12-14-2003, 11:31 AM
rusty70f100
Post Fiend
Originally posted by B C fx4 Level II
I have driven a lot of miles and a lot of different types of vehicles since getting my driver's license in 1971....
And I am not crazy, my engine is half as loud than it was with the Dino oil. Very noticeable at running Temp.
I didn't say you were crazy. I'm sure you did notice the difference in smoothness. But the reason I'm thinking is that you went to a heavier oil. The heavier oil, 5w30 instead of 5w20, will have a thicker oil film, and will probably reduce noticed "harshness" of the motor while it's running, especially in a motor designed for 5w30. I got the same thing when I went to Mystik JT-8 from Mobil 1, as it's a little higher in the 30w range than Mobil 1.

As for the performance, I still think it's just in your head. Subconciously, you probably equate a smooth running motor with one that performs better. And why not? On the surface, it makes sense. You're not crazy, you're very much normal.

I'm glad you came on here and said something!

Last edited by rusty70f100; 12-14-2003 at 11:33 AM.
Old 12-14-2003, 02:21 PM
B C fx4 Level II
Senior User
I think your right on the performance part . It's just that I have never had a brand new engine and when they put the proper viscosity oil for that engine it just sounded the way it was supposed to. Kind of blew me away....Got a little excited.
Why is there no Feedback on the Motorcraft Full synthetic..this is a Ford Enthusiasts site and isn't Motorcraft Fords No. 1 ? The Stuff isn't cheap.
Am I paying for the name or should I go to a tried and true synthetic like mobile 1, which is a better price where I live.
Thanks to everyone who advised to go back to the dealer and tell them to put the proper viscosity oil specified for my engine..The engine was factory filled with 5w-30 as specified. changed the oil at 1k with 5w-30 dino.
took it in for the 3k oil change the dealer put the motorcraft 5w-20 Semi Synthetic. As soon as I got home I whent right to my invoice and looked to see what the heck they did to my truck ( they didn't tell me about the switch!!!) Thats how much louder the truck was with the 5w-20..
They talked me into it one more time at the 6k oil change. But after I called ford and they told me it was a dealer issue, and for them to put it in writting if they were going to use a different viscosity then specified on the oil cap or owners manual. So 5w-30 for me.. And the sythetic made it even a little quieter. Never had a truck run so nice it just blew me away...

Old 12-15-2003, 11:41 AM
jim henderson
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
quote... Actualy, there has been a "millions of miles" real-world test. Oil and filter changed every 5000 miles. All engines run for 100,000 miles, torn down and inspected. No noticeable difference between ANY oil, dino or syn.

That sounds like it was the famous/infamous Consumer Report taxi test, it also implied that it didn't matter what brand oil you used, any cheap oil meeting spec was sufficient. A little too "sacreligious" for many of us to buy into, but probably true.

Against our religion but still meets with one of my other statements... Whatever you use, use the correct API and SAE spec good quality oil for your engine, change regularly and stick with it. No matter what my opinions are, you won't go wrong with this one.

I will say stick with one brand once you choose it, since there is some evidence there is some minimal evidence that it does have some effect on the overall effectiveness of the additive package.

Like I also said, syn is my religion, I won't try to convert the unwashed heathens who use deceased dino remains as their religion. Ooooom 5W30 syn is my shepherd, through temeprature extremes and heavy loads shall it guide me. Always change regularly and everlasting engine life shall be your reward, ooom.

Jim Henderson

Old 12-15-2003, 02:30 PM
rusty70f100
Post Fiend
Originally posted by jim henderson

Like I also said, syn is my religion, I won't try to convert the unwashed heathens who use deceased dino remains as their religion. Ooooom 5W30 syn is my shepherd, through temeprature extremes and heavy loads shall it guide me. Always change regularly and everlasting engine life shall be your reward, ooom.

Jim Henderson
The scene with the druids from "Monty Python and the Holy Grail" comes to mind, where they're hitting themselves on the head with a board while chanting.

Old 12-15-2003, 05:11 PM
skywagon
Senior User
Talking

Hey Rusty, I think that python slithered up your @$^. lol

Old 12-15-2003, 06:47 PM
rusty70f100
Post Fiend
Originally posted by skywagon
Hey Rusty, I think that python slithered up your @$^. lol
Dude, I dont swing that way. The answer is no. Save it for your other boyfriends!

Old 12-15-2003, 09:20 PM
Flash
Posting Guru
Data that I have in my database shows that the Motorcraft 5w-30 Full synthetic has the following properties:
Gravity-API 34.4
Flash- COC- 440f
Pour point- -35f
Viscosity at 100C cSt- 10.51
Cold crank vis.@-30c- 4300
Low temp pump rate@ -30C- 17300

While I didn't look it up, I don't think M1 will stay up with the Motorcraft. The M1 is good stuff, probably the best they make with an API label but the MC looks better on paper.

I hope this is the info you wanted.

Old 12-15-2003, 09:38 PM
Flash
Posting Guru
Sorry for the double post but the info on the Mobil one is not complete in my database but the numbers that I do have show M1 having a SUS Vis@210 -60.3, which means they are about equal. The M1 has a flash of 430f which puts the MC slightly ahead of the M1. The latest breakdown on the M1 which is 4 months old shows the following composition:
Moly-68
boron -128
calcium-2661
phos.-751
zinc- 827

I personally don't care for synthetics as everybody tries to make them out to be more than they are. They will not add life to your engine unless you are running your engine in a critical environment. If you pull a trailer in high heat (+100F), idle for prolong periods of time(hours), or have an extremely low startup temp(-0), it will add nothing to the life of the engine. They are not "slicker", in motor oil they will not give you incredible gas milage increases. Their biggest attribute is in the temperature extremes, which they handle quite well.

Old 12-15-2003, 09:42 PM
Flash
Posting Guru
Data that I have in my database shows that the Motorcraft 5w-30 Full synthetic has the following properties:
Gravity-API 34.4
Flash- COC- 440f
Pour point- -35f
Viscosity at 100C cSt- 10.51
Cold crank vis.@-30c- 4300
Low temp pump rate@ -30C- 17300

While I didn't look it up, I don't think M1 will stay up with the Motorcraft. The M1 is good stuff, probably the best they make with an API label but the MC looks better on paper.

I hope this is the info you wanted.

Old 12-15-2003, 10:16 PM
bob-63-292
Senior User
FWIW, I think very high performance engines LOVE synthetic. My Yamaha FZ-1 really really liked it when I finally switched to full synthetic at 5000. Easier shifts, quicker revs. It loved it. Big, slow (heavy flywheels, etc.), long stroke engines don't seem to care as long as its slippery.

And I also know that no ford truck has EVER come with an engine which is ANYTHING like that monster motor in the FZ-1. You just don't see 12 grand (rpm) in a pickemup. Of course, my R6 was even wilder (15,500rpm redline - woo hoo!).

Bob

Quick Reply: Synthetic performance: WOW