Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

Keyless Entry Codes

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2013, 01:07 PM
sbbk2nascar
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 Explorer Sport Keyless Entry System

The code is not in any of those places on our 2001 Explorer Sport. In the jack compartment (left side back) in ours there is not a washer fluid bottle (that is under hood). We cannot find any kind of module.The only boxes we find are fairly large & they look like they are for the seat belts (yellow one on left side & blue one on right side). The dealership in this country town wants $150 to get me the code.
Both my husband & I are handicapped & do not get around well. Does anybody know where else we could find this code?

Old 08-17-2013, 09:58 PM
sbbk2nascar
New User
Replacment Keys

I just bought an extra key for my 2001 Explorer Sport at Wal-Mart. They sell them totally programmed. They get $59.99 @. So if your are getting 2 keys it still cost about $120 but you have the convenience of doing while shopping for other things.

Also don't you if you realize that you can get a regular cheap key cut for a spare for your vehicle. We had an extra made & hide it inside the car. Then both my husband & I had a regular cut spare key. If either if us lost our key we could get in with the cheap key & then dig out the computer key. Also having the regular cut key solved problems of just getting in if we somehow locked ourselves out.

Old 08-17-2013, 10:57 PM
sbbk2nascar
New User
Thanks for the Great Pictures of how to Find Codes

That was wonderful to follow. You are great to go through all the effort.
Too bad I have the 2 door Sport. I cannot find any module in the compartment in the back. I am handicapped with major spinal issues(have already has 7 spinal surgeries) . I managed to pull the defroster pane. It was not easy but I got on the hood & looked for modules & codes through the windshield but did not find anything. I don't think there is anyway I could get in & try to drop the air bag. That is past my capabilities.
We live on a small social secuirty income. The local dealer here wants $150 to get me the codes. Those kind of funds are just not available in our tight budget. We only purchased this Explorer with the payoff $$ from the insurance company from the totally my 2002 Tauruas.

Can anybody help me out like you did for many here?
Thanks

Old 08-18-2013, 10:02 PM
shorod
Logistics Pro
Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts
If you know someone with a professional scan tool, or have a regular shop that you give a fair amount of work to, they should be able to pull the factory remote keyless entry keypad code using the scan tool. Both my former OTC Genisys and my current Autel DS708 are able to display the code. The DS708 is even able to program new keys.

-Rod

Old 08-18-2013, 11:46 PM
sbbk2nascar
New User
THNAKS FOR INFO ON CODES

Thanks for that information.
We have been forutnate not to have to spend much time or money in any shop. The only problems with had with our previous Tauruas was able to be taken care of by a mechanic we have at church. He works at a local parts store as well as doing work out of his home garage. I do not know if he has any of that equipment but I will have to check with him. Before he retired to part time work at the part store he had a large shop here locally in this town. I will have to check with him to see if still has any thing like that.

Thanks for the info

Old 08-27-2013, 10:34 AM
Turx
Senior User
I've had good luck finding the "code" under the dash on either side. Explorer's, Expeditions and Navigator's 01's thru 08's.

Old 07-23-2018, 08:48 AM
rpasetto
New User
Just bought a 2007 Explorer and I have lots of questions. Forst is there a way to reprogram the 'door button' code? Also I'd like to get an extra remote. Are there sources and can I program it myself.

I have lots more questions but this is probably the wrong thread for them

Old 07-23-2018, 12:10 PM
shorod
Logistics Pro
Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts
The answers depend on what your starting conditions are. If you know the factory-assigned door lock keypad code you can program an additional user code. The factory code will always continue to work but you can add a more meaningful/easy to remember code. There are instructions in the owner's manual on how to program the user code. If you're wanting to change the factory code, I don't think you can do that. Many years ago (late 80's and early 90's) the code was hard-coded in the RAP module and could be changed by opening the RAP and moving some jumpers around. I'm pretty sure that's no longer the case. If you don't know the factory code then you can either read it out with a professional scan tool or find the code tag. There is a sticky thread that explains the multiple places this code tag might be located.

If you have two programmed ignition keys you should be able to program an additional fob. Yeah, there are multiple online sources or you can also visit your dealership or a locksmith. If you only have one programmed ignition key you'll either need to visit the dealer or a locksmith or gain access to a professional scan tool to be able to program an additional cut key before you'll be able to program a new fob.

-Rod

Old 07-23-2018, 03:10 PM
Chaosracing
Posting Guru
If you see above its stated where to find the factory code for the doors. You will either need a cell phone camera or a inspection mirror to read it. It took me about 2 minutes considering the contortion act I had to do to be able to read it.
As for new FOB's, I got new ones on ebay and they work great. Forget where I got them as its been a few years, but easy to program to our explorer. Also if you need another key, most hardware stores (incuding Lowes and Home Depot) can now cut and program keys with chips in them. Just make sure you take the vehicle with to test it out. I got mine done at a local ACE and their policy is they will redo the key if it doesnt work AND if the vehicle is on site to test. Once you leave their lot with the key, thats it, no going back.