1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

Snow Tires

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2003, 02:29 PM
HUBBELL
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Snow Tires

I HAVE 2001 EB AND JUST MOVED FROM TX TO CT. ANY SUGGESTIONS ON STUDDED SNOWS 17". I ALSO NEED SOME STEEL RIMS. I DO NOT WANT TO SPEND TO MUCH SINCE I WILL ONLY PUT SNOWS ON WHEN A STORM IS APPROACHING. EB IS A 4 X 2.

Old 12-06-2003, 07:04 PM
PaulC
Posting Guru
You should hit www.tirerack.com

Old 12-06-2003, 07:13 PM
PaulC
Posting Guru
You plan to use four, right?

Old 12-07-2003, 08:56 AM
BigMattXXL
Postmaster
Please don't use all caps when you post - it looks like you're yelling.

We can all hear just fine

I second the vote for tirerack, although if I were planning on staying in CT for any length of time, I'd kick the 4x2 out in favor of a 4x4. Even with snow tires, things could get hairy.

XXL

Old 12-07-2003, 02:34 PM
tsdrallyer
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Forget the studs. Get Bridgestone Blizzaks. They are better than any studs even on solid smooth ice, (some of my MN freinds ice race on them in the off season for rally) and are a hell of a lot quieter at all speeds.

Old 12-07-2003, 07:47 PM
tonum24
Senior User
Put on some Bridgestone Dueller a/t "revo's" . They will perform better than the Blizzaks because of the huge bite they will have in the snow/slush. The revos like to "crush" ice.

Old 12-07-2003, 08:06 PM
BigMattXXL
Postmaster
Originally posted by tonum24
Put on some Bridgestone Dueller a/t "revo's" . They will perform better than the Blizzaks because of the huge bite they will have in the snow/slush. The revos like to "crush" ice.
Actually, snow traction is primarily achieved through extra biting edges. If you look at a snow tire tread, it's got a huge amount of siping all over it as well as biting edges on the shoulder. Tires that have large voids run the risk of getting packed with snow, which turns them into fat, icy drag slicks (the BFGoodrich All Terrains sometimes do this).

That said, the REVO does rule on snow, but a dedicated snow tire will give you better traction.

Then again, if you can't move along with a 4x4 Expy with REVOs, you really shouldn't be out and about

XXL

Old 12-07-2003, 10:43 PM
hceptj
Senior User
I moved to CO and lived their for 2 winters with a 2WD expedition. My friends living their recommended the Blizzaks so I ordered 4 from tirerack and had them installed locally.

I kid you not, those are by far the best ice/snow tires you can get. The revos may do well on snow but the really, really soft compound and numerous small biting treads on the Blizzaks will outperform anything else out there on ice.

We had some good snow/ice storms during my time there and not even once did I ever feel like I was slipping or losing traction, no matter how bad it got...and there are lots of hills in CO Springs.

I would really recommend 4 of them if you can afford it.

Old 12-08-2003, 08:47 PM
tonum24
Senior User
Originally posted by BigMattXXL
Actually, snow traction is primarily achieved through extra biting edges. If you look at a snow tire tread, it's got a huge amount of siping all over it as well as biting edges on the shoulder. Tires that have large voids run the risk of getting packed with snow, which turns them into fat, icy drag slicks (the BFGoodrich All Terrains sometimes do this).

That said, the REVO does rule on snow, but a dedicated snow tire will give you better traction.

Then again, if you can't move along with a 4x4 Expy with REVOs, you really shouldn't be out and about

XXL
Yes that's true as I have winter pirelli's on my Audi S4 with a quadrillion sipes. When they wear though so goes the sipes. I just feel that the sipes clog up in a less than packed snow road and have no effect but otherwise they will be super. I am trying to find a "study" of the advantages disadnavtages of both. Ice is a different story as sipes will bite and will be your only hope.

Old 12-08-2003, 09:11 PM
BigMattXXL
Postmaster
Thumbs up

Originally posted by tonum24
Yes that's true as I have winter pirelli's on my Audi S4 with a quadrillion sipes. When they wear though so goes the sipes. I just feel that the sipes clog up in a less than packed snow road and have no effect but otherwise they will be super. I am trying to find a "study" of the advantages disadnavtages of both. Ice is a different story as sipes will bite and will be your only hope.
A valid point - it's a tradeoff either way - mudders will do great in 3 feet of snow, 'cause they'll just throw it every which way. However, once that snow get packed in, you're up the creek. By the same token, I don't feel that sipes can adequately negotiate huge snowdrifts (although my Michelins do ok) but they're great once the roads have been driven on a bit.

I still feel that the best snow tire is whatever tire is on your truck - when your truck is parked in your driveway and you're safe and warm inside the house. No chance of an accident with those tires

XXL

Old 12-08-2003, 09:45 PM
tonum24
Senior User
After a few hours of research (especially the Canadian sites BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR~~~~~~~~~~~) it seems that modern tires have full depth sipes and that they are the way to go! Don't forget that the tires like the Blizzaks also have a softer tread which helps. The open tread on the normal suv tires are said to throw the snow out on each rotation which is a good trait. Long live our Expy's!!!!

Old 12-09-2003, 04:17 AM
BigMan69
Senior User
We just had 17" of snow and I finally had the chance to put the REVO's to a workout. They handled it just great. I had no problems what-so-ever. Drove on the fresh soft snow to severely packed snow and they are a great tire. Still HIGHLY recommend.

BigMan69

Old 12-09-2003, 11:04 AM
ineedashot
Senior User
I live in CT as well. In my town we got 13" last weekend and altough my truck is a 4X4 the weight of the Expy will help you go through the snow fairly easy. If you live in the suburbs and maily ride in trails you may have problems, but main and secondary roads are pretty much OK for a 2X4. Of corse, there is nothing like the confidence the 4X4's give you. Go w/ the snow tires in the winter months, you should be OK.

Later,

H

Old 12-09-2003, 11:29 AM
PaulC
Posting Guru
One thing to bear in mind with an Expy is that no matter what the tire, 5,500 lbs. doesn't like to stop. Always allow extra room for braking. My Expy, shod with new Revo's, gleefully slid through an intersection with ABS chattering away. Wasn't the tire's fault, just the driver and a few of the peskier laws of physics.

It's hard to accept the fact that a 1984 Chevette will outbrake me on snow or ice. It's particularly hard for the Chevette owner to accept if I'm behind him.

Old 12-09-2003, 11:58 AM
Eric K
Junior User
Check out the Nokian WR tires. They are awesome on snow, ice and wet - it is hard to get the ABS to come on in the snow they work so well. Further, they ride nice and quiet under all conditions all year around and wear very well. They also have a 50k mile warranty!!

Check them out http://www.nokiantires.com/newsite/t...opup.cfm?id=17

Eric K
2000 Expedition
1997 F-250 Powerstroke

Quick Reply: Snow Tires