General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

I need someone elses opinion.

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2003, 08:58 PM
98rangerstep
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I need someone elses opinion.

I am currently looking to buy my old car back, it's a 91 Lincoln Mark VII. Now my wife thinks I am crazy because she knew how much money I poured into it, but I had fixed all that was wrong with it so I think it couldn't be all that bad.

I stupidly got rid of it for a Chevy P/U, but as you can see by my screen name I don't have it anymore. Am I nuts and have a bad case of nostalgia or do you think it would be a good idea.

Give me your opinion, and I know everyone on here has one.

Old 12-05-2003, 09:01 PM
theologian
Postmaster
We have a Lincoln MKvii that is a great car. It looks terrible, but is a reliable beast, I would buy another in a heartbeat. Unlike the MKviii I foolishly bought to replace it with.

Theo

Old 12-06-2003, 12:59 AM
BuiltToughF250
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
nostalgia....

my brothers wife recently got ahold of the car her grandfather bought new, sold, repurchased, gave to her, she sold, and then my brother repurchased....

so out of all the times the family owned it, the nostalgia issue never really happened... in the garage it sits just collecting age.

now ME personally wouldt buy a CAR to restore int he hopes of an investment, unless the car ita 1970 or older. but then again im not the brightest bulb on the tree

Old 12-06-2003, 03:37 AM
christop43
Posting Guru
You got rid of it for a reason. Maybe it was marriage, or something else. I say move on, there are other cars out there. That car is not a classic.

Old 12-06-2003, 06:28 AM
Bruin52
Elder User
For some reason, us guys seem to bond with a vehicle. Especially spending so much time pampering and nurturing it. Taking care of it and keeping it from being harmed from the elements of the world. It unknowingly becomes like a child to us and when we part with one it seems as though we have lost a part of ourselves. I think it's completely uncommon what you're going through and what you're feeling. As for getting the car back, consider how much it will cost. What are you going to use it for, a daily driver, a weekend cruiser, or to just fill a void in your life. Think it over, and when you've made YOUR decision, then explain it to your wife. Good luck!

Old 12-06-2003, 06:34 AM
Opiewan
Elder User
do you really need the car ? you sold it for a reason. you were done with the car, you didnt want it anymore. putting it back in your driveway is just what will happen. you will be like a child with a new toy, play for it awhile but the newness of having it again will wear off and you will sell it again. It is like getting married, getting divorced and then dating and marrying the same girl again. The familer habits and other things would be like a welcome back kinda thing but soon the old things that led you to the divorce will pop back up again. You said goodbye once and moved on. keep it that way. if you want a new girl to play with, then go find a new one, dont go back to the old one .

Old 12-06-2003, 09:46 AM
98rangerstep
Senior User
Gentlemen the reason I sold it was my wife had just gave birth so she said I needed some thing that got better gas mileage. Now I have a much better job and I also have a nice car for my wife so I don't need to worry about mileage as much.

I fixed all that was wrong with it at the time so I know what was bad and what was good, now I am not saying that the people who bought it took care of it, I don't know that. What I am saying is that if anything needs to be repaired I have the experience with it.

Also, do I make my decision and tell my wife that is that, because I have to have more ammo than that.

Old 12-06-2003, 10:05 AM
christaylor
Posting Guru
Still Looking for my first car 1968 Mustang got me stuck on Fords early. Loved that car boy was I stupid!!!!!!!

Old 12-06-2003, 12:01 PM
Mike W
Post Fiend
If you want it back, go get it. I hardly ever sell cars. Bought a 65 Mustang new, still got it.

Old 12-08-2003, 07:20 PM
1956MarkII
Lead Driver
As a devoted Lincoln owner myself, I say go get the car if it's in decent shape. If the current owner trashed it, then I'd look elsewhere. The Marks are great cars (what else would you expect from someone with my signature?), and like you say, if you fixed everything that was wrong, the flow of money should pretty well have stopped by now.