edelbrock 1406 problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2003, 08:10 AM
m14dan
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
edelbrock 1406 problem

I have a problem with a new edelbrock 1406 600 cfm alectrick choke carb on my 3/4 ton. It starts fine cold and runs ok although I need to correct for the altitude one of these days. When the engine is warm it doesn't start worth a darn. It cranks for about 10 seconds or more and I have to press the gas about halfway and hold it to get it to start. My engine and everything on it is new and I built it so it is right. I hope that doesn't sound too arrogant but I have been doing this a while. I just don't know beans about edelbrocks. I used the performer intake and followed all the instructions and the only problems are hot starting. It isn't vaporlocking that I can tell. Underhood temps are low and the engine isn't running more than 180 deg. Anybody got an idea what the problem can be? Edelbrock teck suport won't ever return my emails like holley always did when I had dumb questions. I should have bought a holley this time!

Old 12-04-2003, 10:29 AM
mchild
Senior User
One thing to look for is excessive air. Either a vacuum leak or overly lean jetting for your motor.

Does the motor have a mechanical fuel pump or the low pressure in-tank electric pump? The low pressure electric pump helped with vapor lock by dumping excess fuel back in the tank. If your truck has an electric pump make sure the return fuel line is operating properly.

Ignition coils can get weak after they are hot. You might check that.

Lastly you may want to check the accelerator pump on the carb and make sure it is adjusted correctly for your motor and that it is not damaged.

I have called Edelbrock tech support and had good response. You may want to contact them that way. The number is on the web site.

Good luck,

Mark

Old 12-04-2003, 12:24 PM
m14dan
Senior User
It's a mechanical pump. No electrics. I was just leaving work to come home for lunch and I was sitting at the light in front of the shop and it just sputtered and died. It wouldn't restart and was pumping fuel. Maybe not enough though. I had someone else crank it and I held the filter up level where I was sure it was getting through and it sputtered and died. We tried it again and now it works fine. WTF? The coil is new as is the rest of the ignition system as of last week. I'll bet it is the fuel pump bypassing or just plain not putting out enough. Should it put out enough to completely fill a see through filter or not. It isn't but appears to be pumping strong.
Ya know you work on fuel injected junk for so long and own nothing but nice old reliable carbureted stuff and then when it comes time to fix them you spend more time scratching your head and thinking what to do because it is just so simple you're lost. Is it just me or has anyone else forgotten more about the old stuff than they know about new stuff?

Old 12-04-2003, 01:45 PM
mchild
Senior User
You may want to add a small electric pump in line with the mechanical one. I bought one this past summer for a piece of equipment, and if I remeber correctly, it was less than $50 at Auto Zone. Just ask for a generic low pressure pump. Should not be more than about 5 psi.

If your mechanical one has a small hole in the diaphragm then it can lose pressure while sitting and also be putting gas into your crankcase. You probably should check and see if it can hold pressure. If it is okay you can still add the electric unit and simply run through the mechanical one.

Mark

Old 12-04-2003, 06:42 PM
m14dan
Senior User
Well I just fixed it. I took it off and called advance to come and get it and bring me a holley instead. They did and didn't even complain. The holley is a vac sec elec choke 600 and it went on perfect and all I had to adjust was idle and the choke pull off. It sure runs nice and ya know the fuel filter stays full now. I wasn't getting any fuel in the crankcase but it sure couldn't get the fuel filter full with the edelbrock.
Well thanks for the replies but I got it licked now. I can deal with a holley.

Old 12-05-2003, 07:57 PM
fordeverpower
Postmaster
i debated it for 2 weeks a holley or edelbrock. i ended up buying the edelbrock 1406 as well. I had problems with cutting out, fuel filters, vaccum and timing and everything else. I won't but another i'll tell you that.

Old 12-05-2003, 09:08 PM
m14dan
Senior User
I should have known too. I had a carb made by weber , the same company that makes edelbrocks, catch fire on my old 64 mgbgt about 20 years ago. It totaled the car and I was on a backroad 20 something miles from Barstow calif. I waited a couple hours then headed out walking in the general direction of San Diego. It was about 18 hours before someone came by and gave me a ride. I swore then to never get anything else from jcwhitney. That's where I got that carb. I should have sworn off webers too. Ya know this Holley really runs good. I got this little sort of test strip by the house and the truck with the edelbrock would get to about 50 mph in the space between the two points I use and now with the Holley , And I haven't even Jetted it yet, It will get to right at 65 mph. They are both the same 600 cfm but the holley out of the box works much better.

Old 12-05-2003, 09:35 PM
fordeverpower
Postmaster
i have thought about throwing it off and getting a holley.

Old 12-05-2003, 09:41 PM
m14dan
Senior User
Sell it on ebay. Make it sound like it is something special like the manufacturer does. You may make more than you spent on it.

Old 12-06-2003, 12:13 PM
mjl351w
Senior User
I know this is gonna sound dumb ...but i have a carter , looks just like and Edelbrock, my buddies all ran brocks and i have had a carter for 3 years same one no tuning ......there edelbrocks are all now paper weights or tire chocks...they all bought carters and guess what ,no more problems ...makes no sense to me jsut telling ya what i have seen

Old 12-06-2003, 01:22 PM
LxMan1

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
I've had my EDE 1407 (750) for 4 years and on 2 different trucks now and I have never had a minutes trouble with it. I had it on my 460, then put it on my 351W and all that was needed was to readjust the idle mixture and I put larger metering rods in it to lean it out a little. It has been a much better carb than the Holley's that I have owned.
I still have a 600 Holley that I put on the 460 off of the 351, it makes less power on both and gets worse gass mileage on both as well. I have sold, owned and tuned on Holley's for many years so it is not a tuning issue.
Jimmy

Old 04-01-2008, 01:05 AM
85' F250
New User
So my 1406 has run like a champ on my 250. I have played with the jet and rod combos. I put out a lot of power but i get some black smoke out the pipes during hard top end accerleration. This i believe is due to either the jet combo or the rods so tomorrow it will be torn down and played with until I am happy. I run high compression and great ported and polished heads with a nice torque cam so i should be able to handle the amount of fuel but i think she still needs to be leaned out. Does anyone have any jet/rod/spring combos that work on a 460 with a good amount of performance mods? The other kicker is i live at about 6000 ft?

85' F250
473 ci with too many mods to list