Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice on Injectors

Old 12-03-2003, 09:52 PM
Hydro
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Advice on Injectors

I"ve got to replace the injectors on my '89, 4.9L 4X4. Does anyone know what lbs/hr I should be looking for? O maybe a model number. I've got the part number from my blue, Ford shop manuals, but that's all. I could use another fuel rail, too. Where might be a good place to find 6 new injectors and a good rail? Would you guys trust a fuel rail from a wrecking yard?

Old 12-03-2003, 11:47 PM
yellowjeep76
Senior User
honestly, I would go with a rail from ford. as far as injectors there should be a number on the injectior. fords injectors would probably be more expensive than replacement but you can be sure of the quality. i'm not sure what company made the injectors for ford, but you should be able to find the replacements at any autoparts store. I wouldn't go with used parts because you will more than likely have the some problems because the parts are worn.

Old 12-05-2003, 02:17 PM
Hydro
New User
Thanks for the reply, YJ76.
I happened to stop by the local dismantlers and they came up with a complete rail AND 6 injectors from a '91 4.9! I couldn't resist the price. $25. It needs a little cleaning, but it's all there and in really good shape. Geez, for $450, I can buy an entire motor from those guys.
Hydro

Old 12-05-2003, 04:24 PM
homoudont
Senior User
i think motorcraft is all ford used as far as belts plugs, wires.... thats all i think

Old 12-05-2003, 06:15 PM
timjk69
Junior User
The latest Hot Rod Magazine had a good article on injectors. Read it!

Old 12-05-2003, 07:13 PM
Hydro
New User
I found that article on thier website and read it. But what I also found out is why Ford color-coded thier injectors for my truck, at least. There are 6 or more colors of injectors that COULD be used, but only one that is unique to that year, make and time slot engine. Seems they differentiated for altitude, fuel system updates, whether or not the truck would have been sold in CA or not and lots more. Thus, the different colors. I have to say here that I attribute my new knowledge to the dilligence of one parts man at a local dealership. The other dealers and all the parts shops I asked, didn't have a clue. Now, I've got the right numbers and colors to match up with that bargain I got at the wrecking yard. Turns out, all the numbers from the Shop Manuals and the parts man match! I feel a lot better now about what parts I'm going to put into my truck. I just need to get them cleaned and balanced.
Thanks to all who responded!

Search this Thread