Keypad door entry

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2003, 08:35 PM
skibender
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Keypad door entry

I just bought a 98 Explorer. I want to program the keypad so I have another option if I lock myself out. The book says that the factory code is on the label on the computer module. I am assuming they are talking about the PCM but there is no number on the sticker that is 5 digits. Anyone else know where to find this factory preset code?

Old 12-04-2003, 07:47 AM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
The book might be referring to the keyless entry module, which is not the same thing as your PCM. That's where I found it on my Taurus when I bought it used.

I think the Remote Anti-Theft Personality (RAP) Module is what performs this function on your Explorer. I don't know a heck of a lot about Explorers, but I think that the RAP module is located behind the driver's side (LH) interior rear quarter trim panel.

Maybe someone with an Explorer will come along and confirm this...

Last edited by Rockledge; 12-04-2003 at 07:50 AM.
Old 12-04-2003, 09:00 PM
1956MarkII
Lead Driver
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The module you're looking for is in the same area where they store the jack. The problem is trying to read the code, because the module sits FORWARD of the wheel well. Take the cover off and, using a mirror and a flashlight, look towards the front of the vehicle. You'll see a box with several numbers on it. The 5-digit code is in larger, bolder numbers than all the rest. It's tough to see; it's easier if you have someone pull back on the panel as you're trying to read it. Check back if you need help programming in your personal code.