major tuneup/minor rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2003, 01:30 AM
Njbmx
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb major tuneup/minor rebuild

its been a while since i posted a new topic or even visited this great'ol site. but after thinking for a while i dont want to sell my tired '82.
here is what i got: the engine runs [at least i got that goin for me] but it runs like *****. its not running on all of its cylinders, smokes, diesels, clutch is worn, brake booster is shot, carb needs a rebuild, head needs rebuild, engine consumes no oil, needs better exaust system then a 'rigged glasspack setup, failed emmisions, needs front break caliper/shoes, cant think of anything else it needs to be a reliable functioning truck.
this is what i want to do: i want to make this a good truck that i can use for small cleanup/fixup jobs for now. also i want to do a'lil small offroading adventures in the pines...but that is another post.
do you think its worth all of this work on a 20+ y/o truck? i know how to get this truck on the road...but i dont know if i want to invest like $1000+ to get this on the road.
all it comes down is if i want to save this truck or part it out...please help me out.
thank you in advance

Old 12-02-2003, 09:24 AM
35l911
Senior User
well first do you know why it dosen't run on all cylinders

Old 12-02-2003, 10:07 AM
gatesj
Posting Guru
Body and frame reasonably good? Everything else is pretty easy to fix... You can even swap motors for cheap.

Old 12-03-2003, 02:01 AM
NM5K
Senior User
Well, if the rest of the truck is in real good shape, I guess it's worth it.
Thats really a question only you can answer. Do you like it well enough to look at it another 20 years?
I certainly felt it was worth in my case. Look at new truck prices.
I've already spent three times that much doing much the same thing to my 68. But it has the added advantage of not needing an emission test here. That sure can be handy. A new engine will take care of many of the emission problems, but other parts will likely be needed to get it to pass a test. IE: carb, o2 sensor, cat, etc, ad nausium...
It's a bummer when you have to spend a good majority of your cash just to get it pass a smog test.
I only had to do that when I finally spun a bearing. I went through this smog thing on my old 81 monte carlo. Spent $600 bucks overhauling the emissions sytems. I finally unloaded it...It was falling apart, ugly and not worth dumping more money into. You'll be lucky to do all that work on 1k unless you scrounge for parts. Sounds like it needs a fairly through going over like mine did when I first got it. My truck was one sick puppy when I first got it. MK

Old 12-04-2003, 01:30 PM
kywoodwrkr
Junior User
To change or not to change? That is the question!

Pete,
I think I'd have to agree with gatesj.
I'm assuming(usually a real bad plan! assuming that is!) that you will do the work yourself.
I'm going through a kinda similar situation with a newer vehicle.
Current engine is going south.
I found a replacement engine(with all attached components) in a local bargain mart shopper for sale. $175 ready to be picked up.
I got to hear it run befrore the fellow pulled it for me.
I'd do the clutch work while replacing motor.
I'd check the carb on the replacement engine by driving before rebuilding old carburetor off the old engine.
Do safety work on brakes & booster by cleaning and repack front wheel bearings and gauge whether to replace rotors and or pads.
Then decide on booster.
Do exhaust system work if all else is going good.
Looks to me the bulk of the $ would be the used engine.
Keep the old core for parts or rebuilding at a more leisurable time and pace.
Just some passing thoughts.
DaveP

Old 12-04-2003, 05:37 PM
Njbmx
Senior User
i'm deff. thinking on spending the $$ on making this truck roadworthy again...i'm going to need a cheap worktruck soon. thank you for all of your posts and i know i will post more when i need to.