1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Best" extended warranty???

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2002, 04:30 PM
Tony1790
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 21-Sep-02 AT 05:37 PM (EST)]I've been thinking about getting an extended warranty for my 2001 F250 4x4, CC, LB, Lariat. If I were to get one, which one would you all recommend?? I would want a $ 0 deductible, long term reliability of the company and a no hassle way of using it. Currently it looks like Warrantydirect.com would fit that bill.

What concerns me most is that I would spend $1500-2000 on a bumper to bumper warranty and then the company either go out of business or readily deny claims to keep from having to pay out money.

Of course there is the school of thought that extended warranties are just a waste of money (my thoughts), but having seen many people on here having problems with engines going out, tranny's going out that I would feel more at ease with an extended warranty and that it would pay for it self if a major catastrphope occurs.

So assuming I get one which one is best?? Any thoughts or experiences would be greatly appreciated.

p.s. Do company's deny claims for tranny's if you raise your truck?? I want to get a 4" lift next year and 33-35" tires as well.

And should I get an extended warranty now with with 17K miles and 2 years left on my new car warranty or wait until just before the manufacturer warranty is set to expire

Thanks

Tony in Alaska

Old 09-21-2002, 09:07 PM
Monsta
Sit. Stay.

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

>...but having seen many people on here having problems with engines
>going out, tranny's going out that I would feel more at ease
>with an extended warranty and that it would pay for it self
>if a major catastrphope occurs.

Keep in mind that you're gonna read more "bad" stuff than good stuff on a troubleshooting type forum like this. That isn't always indicative of what you will experience. Just don't let yourself get down because of that. These trucks are quite reliable.

>And should I get an extended warranty now with with 17K miles and 2 years left on my new car warranty or wait until just before the manufacturer warranty is set to expire.

The latter.

Plus get the one that suits your budget best. Looks like you're well informed about them so far. I have warrantybynet.com 7/100K and it has paid for itself. Very easy to use and inexpensive. I have not used it since I exceeded the cost of it though. I wonder if they'll will be hard to deal with now...

Old 09-23-2002, 10:29 AM
mxz7
Junior User

Warrantydirect.com has the best warranty, trust me, I researched the daylights out of them for 3 months. 6/100,000 miles from date of purchase of warranty. Bumper to Bumper, all sensors in the emisions. And will even cover plastic valve body covers. Most other warranties would not cover plastic valve covers in the fine print. Mine was $1575.

Old 09-23-2002, 04:05 PM
Tony1790
Senior User

Well I signed up for an extended warranty on the Internet today. I went with Warrantydirect.com, although it depends on who you ask, they may or may not be the best. 1sourceauto and warrantybyenet were two other favorites of people.

It was on sale, I got 7yr/100000 miles bumper to bumper with $ 0 deductible for $1500.00

I think I have 60 days (may be 30 days) to cancel with 100% refund if I'm not happy.

Does anyone have any last minute advice, as in get rid of them quick or that they are one of the best and stick with them.

Any advice is appreciated.

Tony in Alaska
(worrying....as usual)

Old 01-08-2003, 08:57 PM
moon dawg
New User

Who(m) did you purchase from and what was the name of the company covering the vehicle. Please email me at oregonsmall at earthlink.net
Thanks.

Old 01-08-2003, 09:13 PM
Powerhorse
New User

Old 01-09-2003, 09:27 AM
garymake
Senior User

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 09-Jan-03 AT 10:30 AM (EST)]The one thing I would strongly recommend is that you call around to the people that will be doing the warranty work on your truck and make sure that they accept whatever company you choose. The repair shops I use around here wouldn't deal with any of the ".net" companies. If I had gone with one of these companies (WarrantyDirect, WarrantyByNet, etc.) I would have to pay for the repair up front and then try to get reimbursed by the warranty company.

Based on this, I decided to go with the Ford warranty (by serching online and getting quotes, I was able to get a price that was in the ball park of the other companies - I then took the lowest quote for the Ford ESP plan to the local Ford dealership and they matched the price). I think I paid $900 for 6/60000 on the Ranger and $1300 for 6/48000 on the F250 ($0 deductible on both).

Gary M.

White 2002 F250 SD, SC, SB, 4x4, 6.8L v10, 3.73LS, 4spd Auto, Reverse Aid Sensor, Class IV Hitch, Offroad Package, Manual Hubs, 40/20/40 Bench Seat, Towing Package, Camper Package, Lariat, Putco Locker Side Rails, Mud Flaps, K&N Filter, Vent Visors, Aluminum in-bed Tool Box (sits in the bed, dosn't hang over the bed rails), Vent Visors, CB radio w/102" SS Whip Antenna, Autolocks programmed off, Seatbelt Minder programmed off, Key in ignition sensor wire dosconnected...

White 2002 Ranger 4x2 3.0L V6 XLT 2 door supercab with the power group, auto, chrome wheels, mud flaps, body side molding, vent visors, Leonard cab high fiberglass camper shell, and the 60/40 bench seat as my daily driver

Old 01-09-2003, 09:50 AM
hitecdan
Elder User

Well, if you live in Kalifornia your screwed.

California Insurance Department has a regulation that prohibits you from buying a warranty from a web site, by phone or through the mail. A little over a year ago, they stopped all web sites from offering warranties to California residents.

Also check with your auto insurance company, some offer extened warranty programs.

Old 01-09-2003, 01:22 PM
Y2K350
Elder User

I don't need an extended warranty, I bought a Ford. Now if I had bought a cheby I would have bought the extended warranty at the time of purchase.

Old 01-09-2003, 01:24 PM
Y2K350
Elder User

I hope I didn't just jinx myself.

Old 01-09-2003, 05:58 PM
wgm114
Mountain Pass

How long can you wait to buy an extended warranty from Ford? I have a 2001 F250 SD with 18,000 miles. Can I still go in and buy one since it is still under the original warranty?

Old 01-09-2003, 06:57 PM
Racerguy
Hotshot
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You can still buy Ford ESP if you're still under the original warranty. Ford warranty is the only way to go.
At our shop we see people with different brands of warranty and all the problems that go with them. With Ford warranty the dealer doesnt usually have to call for the ok to fix something. With the aftermarket warranty they have to be called. Sometimes they will send an appraiser to look at the problem. This can take a day or 2 and then you have to wait for the ok to fix it. Quite often they will only pay for what broke. For instance you have a broken valve spring and the valve drops and makes a hole in the piston they will pay for the broken spring but not for any of the damage it caused. An engine that's burning oil will maybe get new rings but not new bearings or gaskets unless you pay for them.
Maybe not all aftermarket warranties are bad but the ones I've seen were.

Old 01-09-2003, 07:33 PM
Tony1790
Senior User

I checked on a premium Ford ESP on my F250, I was quoted something like $3800.00. For that much money I could get new heads when/IF the spark plug blows out the top of the engine. I wound up canceling the Warrantydirect.com contract due to the fact that they will void your warranty if you have mods done....lift kit, etc. But most other warranty companies will do the same thing as well(even Ford). I will go over 21,000 miles on my truck on my way home today and so far so good, (with the exception of that misfiring incident)

p.s. I've seen lots of posts about engaging the 4x4 system on here recently......sounds like lots of snow

Tony in Alaska

Old 01-09-2003, 09:59 PM
Racerguy
Hotshot
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

At the dealership I work at we honor the warranty on truck that have been modified....as long as the mods didn't cause the problem.
There are different types of ESP too. They dont all cost that much

Old 01-10-2003, 03:15 AM
wgm114
Mountain Pass

OK. I am sold on buying a Ford Motor Warranty. How do I do it? Do I have to go back through my original dealer or can I get prices online?

Quick Reply: "Best" extended warranty???