Best cam for a ranchero?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2003, 04:06 PM
DRanchero
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best cam for a ranchero?

Hey everyone,
Im searching for the the best cam that fits for the best performance and the best idle sound for the ranchero. I as told to go for low end torque, but im not sure which one does the best job for our cheros. If you have any advice or an opinion on which one is best, that would help. I have a 302, and yes i am planning on changing just about everything on it so the cam will work with it.
Jachin72, I noticed you told me you had a 270H. Is that the Comp Magnum cam? Because i was thinking about that one. I have a few questions though. Did you have to change your heads or did they work with just a few changes with springs and such? I dont want to get too big of a cam where i have to get better heads. Also, did you have to change your cam bearings? Thanks a lot
Danny

Old 12-01-2003, 08:23 PM
TheBobs
Junior User
Danny,

Yes I have a CC 270H. It's a magnum hydraulic cam. I put it in during a full engine rebuild. If you have a lot of miles on the motor, beware! I had 73,000 on my 351C and successfully replaced my stock cam with an Edelbrock performer. When I pulled the engine to rebuild at 108K, all of the cam bearings were starting to delaminate (best way I can describe it). The rebuilder told me that I probably nicked the cam bearings while I installed the performer cam. Just be very careful.

As for the idle, it sounds very cool. Has some lope for sure, but still has a good batch of low-end torque. The cam is rated for my motor from 1800-5800, so I got a TCI 11" torque converter for my C4 which launches at 2400 rpm. I am also running a 3.7:1 locker (9"), so it hits the RPM but quick.

I have aussie heads that have extensively been worked over. I use FMS pedestal mount roller rockers to accomodate the .519 lift. I don't think you will have to do anything to your heads, unless you want to freshen them up. Depending on miles, you may at least want to do a valve job.

Bottom line: My '72 is FAST and FUN to drive, and sounds very KEWL at stoplights!!!

Steve

Old 12-03-2003, 09:18 AM
Sanddoc
Freshman User
what year is your Ranchero?
when I had a 351c built for my 77 Ranchero
I went with a stage II RV cam.. I fogret what the
specs are..
I personely think getting a 351w or 351c would
be a better soulution.. then rebuild your 302...
Best