Oil & Lubrication  

Additives to replace lower zinc and phosphorus

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2003, 08:30 AM
TallPaul
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Additives to replace lower zinc and phosphorus

DOHC stated on another website, "Modern formulated PCMO's after having the Zn reduced have other effect additives such as overbased calcium , boron and magnesium. "

I see that Valvoline All Climate has 0.206 percent calcuim, but Valvoline Maxlife has 0.260. Hmmm. Maybe that is making up for the lower levels off zinc and phosphorus in motor oils of recent years. Anybody know more about this? Any info would be especially useful as the levels likely will be cut even lower. Ford is toying with cutting present phosphorus levels in half.

Old 11-30-2003, 06:12 PM
Flash
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TP, go over to the BITOG site and look in the "Interesting Articles" section for a post from Molecule titled "Lubrication Rheology and Tribiology". I think this will answer most if not all of your questions. As you have most likely figured out, there are folks on the internet that like to post their opinion as fact. Mole is not one of those guys and if you need a sraight answer, though technical, he will give it to you straight.

Old 11-30-2003, 11:14 PM
TallPaul
Post Fiend
Thanks, There is a ton of stuff posted over there by MolaKule. I searched the Interesting Articles forum under his member number. Will have to look it over later, but is looks like it will more than answer my question.

Old 12-01-2003, 09:43 AM
jimandmandy
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
ZDDP is primarily an extreme pressure/anti-wear additive and secondarily an anti-oxidation additive. The calcium, boron and magnesium additives are detergents/dispersants and the "overbased" part contributes to TBN (acid neutralization). These may also be anti-oxidants as well. Moly was not mentioned and it is being used as an EP/AW substitute. Group II+ base oils are more resistant to oxidation and will be a big part of the new GF-4 formulations as well.

The new GF-4 oils are on the way and there is concern withing the industry about reduced ZDDP levels. Auto companies are being forced to warranty cat converters for 150,000 miles soon, but will still only warranty the engine itself for whatever they want, usually 36,000. Make the oil good enough to have the engine last maybe 100,000 miles. Then the car or truck will be junked before the cat has to be replaced under the emissions warranty. You sell more new cars and trucks to boot!

Jim

Old 12-01-2003, 11:46 AM
rusty70f100
Post Fiend
I just had a thought, couldn't this bring STP back? I mean, isn't that just a big load of ZDDP additive and a little thickener? When they come out with GF-4, what's to keep people from adding a bottle of STP with every oil change like they used to do in years gone by?

I am in no way a proponent of STP, but if it puts the ZDDP back when they screw up the oils, I might just give it a try. 'Till then, I'll just use my HDMO and be happy!

Old 12-01-2003, 12:34 PM
jschira
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
STP is basicly a viscosity improver. Makes the oil thicker.

Here is what STP says on its website:

Why does STP® make two different oil treatments? What are their differences?

There are two separate and distinct STP® Oil Treatment products.

STP® Oil Treatment (in the blue bottle) helps protect against engine wear with a high viscosity formula, which fights metal-to-metal friction, by providing a thicker cushion of oil between moving engine parts. It can be used in all cars, trucks, and SUVs.

STP® 4-Cylinder Oil Treatment (in the red bottle) also helps protect against engine wear by increasing oil viscosity, which provides a thicker cushion of oil between moving engine parts and reduces metal-to-metal friction. It counteracts oil thinning and also contains additives to boost motor oils anti-wear protection. This product is optimized for 4-cylinder engines.
Sounds like the 4-cylinder treatment might have some ZDDP, but not the regular stuff.

Old 12-01-2003, 07:22 PM
rusty70f100
Post Fiend
It says right on the back of the bottle, right in the warning: "Contains zinc dialkyldithiophosphate and olefin copolymer. Avoid eye contact. ..."

So I know the regular stuff does contains ZDDP.

I'll look for the MSDS to see exactly how much. I can see how reading their site it would seem like they dont put any ZDDP in there, but they just say what they do to make it sound good.

Old 12-01-2003, 11:13 PM
TallPaul
Post Fiend
Interesting info on the STP. Too bad the 4-cyl version still thickens the oil. But I use 10w40, maybe I can go with 10w30 and add the STP. All the stuff I found on the Bobistheoilguy site is making my head spin. Someone said when the GF-4 oil spec comes out (soon) only engines with roller cams will survive. I give up. Sooner or later I likely will be moving over to Chevron Delo. That'll work until the greenies put cats on the diesels and they start cutting the ZDDP from the heavy duty oils too.

Old 12-02-2003, 10:02 AM
jimandmandy
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Because they are "ashless", aircraft oils have no ZDDP at all. You should see how badly the non-roller tappets on Lycoming engines are beat up after just a few hundred hours. There are other additives that help some, but they are too expensive and toxic for car and truck oils. My hope is that the chemists at Oronite or Lubrizol will come up with a decent substitute.

Jim

Old 12-02-2003, 10:06 AM
rusty70f100
Post Fiend
Maybe I'm full of it, but I thought I saw at wal-mart a bottle simply labeled "Zinc additive." I'll have to check next time I'm out there.

I'm sure someone out there makes a ZDDP additive that doesn't thicken the oil or do any other gimmickey stuff. It's just a matter of finding it.