General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Q about buying in Alberta

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2003, 02:31 PM
longview1
Fleet Mechanic
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Q about buying in Alberta

OK this is probly one for us BC'ns and Albertans'.
Come January im gonna buy CR125. I live in BC, approx. 2hrs away from AB border. My roommate's telling me he heard if you buy in Alberta and they know your a BC boy, you end up paying both taxes. Is this tue?? Thats what i would like to know. Got some buddies at work who just bought sleds, which apparantly you have ot have insurance and I tihnk they said somehting about the tax deal, not sure though.

I also would be doing the finance for the bike and be getting it in Grande Prairie most likely.
Anyone know anything???

Old 11-29-2003, 02:44 PM
Nova
Junior User
i just would like to know how they could tell if you still live in BC because lots of people from there live here and still have the plates from BC on there cars and trucks. but anyway i don`t think that they can charge you more for taxes just because your from BC.

Old 11-29-2003, 04:03 PM
Waxy
Postmaster
longview1,

Do you have to register the CR with the BC gov't? ie for forestry use?

If so, that's where they usually get you on collecting the tax. If the vehicle doesn't have to be registered, they have no way of identifying it as out of province, and therefore can't charge you the tax. If it doesn't have to be registered, your CR is technically no different than a toaster you bought in AB.

I know the rules for AB to SK real well because I've played that game a lot. I'm not as clear on the BC rules because you guys have private insurance like AB, and I'm not sure how your provincial registration works.

For example, if I buy a CR in AB, and take it to SK, no problem, because I don't have to plate/register it. No PST. However, if I buy a sled/truck and take it to SK, I'll have to pay the PST as soon as I go to plate/register it. That's SGI at its finest.

The dealership in AB CANNOT collect out of province sales taxes.

Nova,

Technically you are only allowed 3 months of residence in another province before you are required to transfer your vehicle's registration and your driver's license to that province. After that, you're taking your chances. I had a friend get burned my his MB insurance because he had been living in AB for 5 months.

Waxy

Old 11-29-2003, 05:22 PM
longview1
Fleet Mechanic
Awesome, Thats what i was looking for, thanks Waxy.
And no, No need for regestering it, for pleasure use only.
Thanks again

Old 11-29-2003, 07:43 PM
Nova
Junior User
Thanks Waxy i learned somthing new today guss i better take my NS plates off the truck before i put it back on the road

Old 11-30-2003, 12:01 PM
Hyper
Senior User
That's kinda how it is here in the states.
I'm from Pennsylvania but bought my KLX300R in Ohio. Ohio didn't charge sales tax. If it were a quad(which needs to be registered) I would've had to pay the tax, but dirtbikes don't need to be registered, so no tax payed.
The bike still has an Ohio title, but that shouldn't be a problem until I sell it, at which time the buyer would have to pay sales tax (if they're from PA).

Old 11-30-2003, 02:34 PM
theonlybull
Posting Guru
nova, where abouts in NS are you from?

Old 11-30-2003, 04:15 PM
Nova
Junior User
i lived in truro before i moved out here.