charging not happing

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2024, 02:49 PM
firstandlast
8th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
charging not happing

new alt. charges then stops sometimes starts charging again or can wiggle wires back of alt. 1 wire that needs non switched 12 volts has bin replaced and tested would like to know where i can get to the other 2 wires to run new wires alt. is down under drivers side of motor can not get to wires there

Old 05-17-2024, 03:08 PM
firstandlast
8th Gear
anybody know where these wires go????

Old 05-17-2024, 03:48 PM
Franklin2
Received 1,768 Likes on 1,432 Posts
We have no idea what you are working on. Year, model, engine type, transmission, 4x4 or 2x4, crew cab, extended cab, expedition, ranger, etc.

Old 05-17-2024, 03:59 PM
firstandlast
8th Gear
sorry all new on fourms
it is a 2014 5.0 f 150 4x4

Old 05-17-2024, 04:40 PM
Franklin2
As usual, they have to make something simple complicated. I think you will need a scanner to really see what is going on with the system. I haven't found a wiring diagram yet, but here is a description of how it works.

The charging system is a negative ground system consisting of:
  1. a generator with an internal voltage regulator
    • a charging system warning indicator
      • a battery
        • circuitry and cables
          • a PCM
            • a radial arm adapter (serviced separately from the generator)
              • a battery current sensor
                • a generator current sensor

The generator is driven by the FEAD belt. When the engine is started, the generator begins to generate AC voltage which is internally converted to DC voltage. The PCM determines the desired voltage level and communicates this to the generator internal voltage regulator over 2 control and communication circuits. The voltage regulator (located on the rear of the generator) controls the DC voltage output level which is applied to the electrical system and charges the battery.

This vehicle is equipped with load shed strategy. The Body Control Module (BCM) monitors the battery state of charge using the battery current sensor attached to the negative battery cable and the battery open circuit voltage as measured by the BCM during 8 continuous hours of vehicle sleep time (ignition off with doors closed).

With the engine off and the ignition in the ACC, RUN or delayed accessory position, when the BCM determines the battery state of charge is low, a message is sent to shut down the audio/navigation system in order to save the remaining battery charge. Under this condition:
  1. the Front Display Interface Module (FDIM) displays SYS OFF TO SAVE BATT (without navigation) or BATTERY SAVER — SYSTEM OFF PLEASE START THE ENGINE (with navigation).
    • the Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC) message center may also display TURN POWER OFF TO SAVE BATT (base message center) or TURN POWER OFF TO SAVE BATTERY (optional message center) to notify the driver that battery protection actions are active.
      • the battery indicator may also illuminate.

If the vehicle battery has been charged or battery replaced, it takes approximately 8 hours for the BCM to learn the new battery state of charge. During this 8 hour period, the vehicle must be undisturbed, with no doors opened or keyless entry buttons pressed. If the vehicle is used before the BCM is allowed to learn the new battery state of charge, engine off load shedding may occur earlier than normal and a message may be displayed.

If the vehicle has been jump started, engine off load shedding can still occur and a message may be displayed until the BCM determines the battery state of charge is above 40%.

With the engine running, when the BCM and Power Steering Control Module (PSCM) voltage is low, a message is sent from the BCM to either minimize or shut down the climate controlled seats, rear defrost, heated mirrors and Dual Automatic Temperature Control (DATC) blower motor to improve system voltage. Under this condition, the IPC message center displays either LOW BATTERY LESS FEATURES (base message center) or LOW BATTERY FEATURES TEMPORARILY TURNED OFF (optional message center) to notify the driver that battery protection actions are active.

The PCM monitors the generator current using the generator current sensor attached to the generator B+ battery cable. This is used for engine idle stability and torque control.

Old 05-17-2024, 04:43 PM
Franklin2
If you had a scanner, you could see if you had one of these codes in the system.

P0562 System Voltage Low PCM GO to Pinpoint Test B.
P0563 System Voltage High Various Modules GO to Pinpoint Test A.
P0620 Generator Control Circuit PCM GO to Pinpoint Test C.
P0625 Generator Field Terminal Circuit Low PCM GO to Pinpoint Test D.
P0626 Generator Field Terminal Circuit High PCM GO to Pinpoint Test D.
P065B Generator Control Circuit Range/Performance PCM GO to Pinpoint Test E.
P0A5A Generator Current Sensor Circuit Range/Performance PCM GO to Pinpoint Test H.
P0A5B Generator Current Sensor Circuit Low PCM GO to Pinpoint Test H.
P0A5C Generator Current Sensor Circuit High PCM GO to Pinpoint Test H.
P1397 System Voltage Out Of Self-Test Range PCM If combined with P0562, GO to Pinpoint Test B.
If combined with P0563, GO to Pinpoint Test A.
B1317 Battery Voltage High Various Modules GO to Pinpoint Test A.
B1318 Battery Voltage Low Various Modules GO to Pinpoint Test B.
B1676 Battery Pack Voltage Out of Range Various Modules If combined with B1317, GO to Pinpoint Test A.

If combined with B1318, GO to Pinpoint Test B.
U1007:31 Lost Communication With Battery Monitoring Sensor "A": No Signal BCM GO to Pinpoint Test I.
U3003:16 Battery Voltage: Circuit Voltage Below Threshold Various Modules GO to Pinpoint Test B.
U3003:17 Battery Voltage: Circuit Voltage Above Threshold Various Modules GO to Pinpoint Test A. All other DTCs — Various ModulesREFER to Multifunction Electronic Modules

or the PCM DTC Chart in Electronic Engine Controls.

If directed to this section from another section, GO to Symptom Chart in this section.

Old 05-17-2024, 04:49 PM
Franklin2
1 8620 Accessory drive belt
2 W711953 Generator B+ terminal nut - 17 Nm (150 lb-in)
3 — Generator B+ terminal (part of 14B060)
4 — Generator electrical connector (part of 14B060)
5 W715094 Upper generator bolt - 48 Nm (35 lb-ft)
6 W715092 Lower generator bolt - 48 Nm (35 lb-ft)
7 10346 Generator
8 — Generator B+ protective boot (part of 14B060)

Attached Images
File Type: pdf
N0121771_580.pdf (113.2 KB, 2 views)
Old 05-17-2024, 04:55 PM
Franklin2
They did not have a 2014 diagram of the alternator, but they did for a 2015. Hope they are the same. It looks like you have some large power wiring, and the only other wires are the two smaller ones that go to the engine computer.

Old 05-18-2024, 07:27 AM
firstandlast
8th Gear
i did scan it got the 0620

Originally Posted by Franklin2
They did not have a 2014 diagram of the alternator, but they did for a 2015. Hope they are the same. It looks like you have some large power wiring, and the only other wires are the two smaller ones that go to the engine computer.

the num. 1 wire is good has 12 volts full time....its bin replaced new wire from alt. to fusebox.... i would like to replace wires 2 and 3 but can not get to them behind alternator so i am trying to find them someplace more accessible

Last edited by firstandlast; 05-18-2024 at 07:41 AM. Reason: mistake
Old 05-18-2024, 02:16 PM
Franklin2
Originally Posted by firstandlast
the num. 1 wire is good has 12 volts full time....its bin replaced new wire from alt. to fusebox.... i would like to replace wires 2 and 3 but can not get to them behind alternator so i am trying to find them someplace more accessible
What if the problem is the wiring or the plug on the alternator itself? You may have to take the alternator off to check. With that code you got, the system recognizes it has a problem with that circuit. More than likely they are going to tell you to unplug the wiring plug at the PCM, and unplug the plug at the alternator. Then put a jumper in the PCM plug and see if you get continuity at the alternator plug to check if the wires are good. If they check good, it may be the alternator has a problem, or the PCM has a problem.

Old 05-19-2024, 02:08 PM
firstandlast
8th Gear
yes

Originally Posted by Franklin2
What if the problem is the wiring or the plug on the alternator itself? You may have to take the alternator off to check. With that code you got, the system recognizes it has a problem with that circuit. More than likely they are going to tell you to unplug the wiring plug at the PCM, and unplug the plug at the alternator. Then put a jumper in the PCM plug and see if you get continuity at the alternator plug to check if the wires are good. If they check good, it may be the alternator has a problem, or the PCM has a problem.
thats what i need to do but i need to know what plug at pcm to check and then whitch pins to check there is 3 pl
ugs at my pcm

Old 05-19-2024, 02:13 PM
firstandlast
8th Gear
like to run new wires to a new plug at altinator so i need to know and access those wires where i can atatch new wire its 4x4 and alt.... is under drivers side of motor harness goes back from alt to back of motor

Old 05-19-2024, 05:50 PM
Franklin2
CDC15 violet wire is on pin 26.

CDC10 Blue/Orange is on pin 13.
Pins 77 thru 89 are not used

Old 05-20-2024, 02:23 PM
firstandlast
8th Gear
perfect

that great info franklin2 thank you vary much now i need to find out witch one of the plugs at pcm there is 3 at my pcm

I just ran into this problem of which plug with a Honda I was working on. I found what color wire was in the corner of the plug I wanted, and then looked at all the plugs till I found the wire in the corner that matched. I then looked for the wires I was testing and found their color was correct according to the diagram and their location was in the right place also. Don't know how else to do it. They never mark anything to make it easy.