Sponsored by: Moser

8 Track wiring help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2024, 10:41 PM
cheechy123
7th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
8 Track wiring help!

Hey guys, I’ve got my 8 track in my 1978 f350 I’m trying to get going. All seems like it’s in good shape(from what I could tell). but I don’t think I’m getting power or somethings going on. I checked my fuse which was fine. But I did notice two wires were cut. The pink and black. No clue what these might be for. The 8 track was getting a light come on when I tried turning it on in the truck. But that’s it’s.

Old 05-13-2024, 01:10 PM
HoustonDave
Fleet Mechanic
Received 63 Likes on 50 Posts
Two fuses in the power circuit and three wires - fuse box fuse and in line fuses first. Believe the in-line fuse is switched power.

Seven wires probably indicates 1) Switched 12V+ (fused wire) 2) Chassis ground, probably thickest black 3) Light, 12V through lighting circuit (possibly the brown looking at the spade connector?)
Four wires will be probably be speaker + and - for each side, and will be the ones to the gang connector housing. Did this have door speakers? If not, the trimmed wires may indicate they just jury-rigged the connection to the dash speaker.

Could possibly be set up for all speaker - to ground to metal instead of going back to the unit, Audiovox did do that on some models, and if so, the four wires to the gang plug would be FL, FR, RL, RR. Easy way to tell would be check the ***** - the center left **** is volume, outer left tone bass/treble. Center right is your tuner **** for the radio. Outer right is probably balance L/R BUT sometimes they made the outer right sleeve a sliding sleeve which when turned in its rest position would adjust L/R but when it was pushed in on the shaft would fade F-R.

Most likely guess is as in the first two paragraphs - this is a pretty early model from the look of it.

Just a guess.

Old 05-13-2024, 10:25 PM
77&79F250
Received 3,420 Likes on 2,538 Posts
Do not think that the green plug is 12V AND the ground. They are BOTH hot, one for power one for back light or radio memory. The radio gets it ground thru the frame and the lower support bracket and the stud on the back of the radio.

"For OEM radio help, the guy to use is in Scottsbluff Nebraska. His name is Gene Cochran, and he works out of his house. He's a crusty old codger, but does some tremendous work. While he had the radio apart, he updated some of the internals and cleaned the heck out of everything. My total bill was $25!His number is 308 632-2520 (I checked with him at the time I collected my stereo, and he was OK with giving his number out) He also lined me out on the manner in which the old radios were wired (mine at least). The speakers are in series meaning positive from radio to positive on speaker #1, negative from that speaker goes to positive on speaker #2. Negative from Speaker #2 goes to Negative on stereo. Now the stock stereo rocks as loud as the little 5 1/2 speakers can handle!!!While it's there you might see if he'll wire in an aux input jack. I had it done with mine, and it allows me to run my I-pod through it. Basically, when the I-pod is connected it becomes the antenna source. Cost in parts was under $5. I set mine on a 12" extension so I could just drill a small hole in the dash by the ashtray, which I'm turning into a covert charging / storage station for my phone and I-pod. won't cost much more."

AND: The OEM radio was powered by a GREEN 2-terminal pigtail. YELLOW with a BLACK stripe is switched power, BLUE with RED stripe is dash illumination. Do not mistake the BLUE with RED stripe wire for ground. The OEM radio grounded through its mounting chassis. The speakers were connected over a separate pigtail.

Looked behind the glove box and find a connection the goes off the green and yellow. GREEN with YELLOW stripe wiring is hot-at-all-times power for the courtesy lamp circuit. Use that. There is a black 3-connector pigtail behind the glove box (which also goes on to power the cigarette lighter).

It's not the stock radio wire because the stock radio didn't need hot-at-all-times power (EXCEPT the factory digital AM radio for clock memory).

solid black—power
blue with red stripe--dial light
black with gray dashes—ground
orange with green dashes--right speaker
white with green dashes--left speaker

Assuming an AM/FM stereo and stock wiring harness'.
Purple is ground, right speaker is white and left speaker is orange.

Old 05-13-2024, 11:26 PM
knightfire83
Cross-Country
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Typical Vintage Audiovox Wiring:
(Use at your own risk. Verify correct connections with a low amperage power supply before connecting to car battery.)

Large Red- 12v Power (fused, from switched Accessory source)
Radio Chassis- 12v Ground
Brown- Illumination (dash lights 12v (+) Input)
Pink- Power Antenna (12v (+) Output)

Black- Speaker Ground (-)
White- Front L Speaker (+)
Blue- Front R Speaker (+)
Small Red- Rear L Speaker (+)
Yellow- Rear R Speaker (+)