Sponsored by: DP Tuner

How to tell if truck has been "tuned"?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2024, 10:24 AM
Eman85
5th Wheeling
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
How to tell if truck has been "tuned"?

I bought a new to me 2003 7.3L F350 and was wondering if it was possible to tell if the truck has had any changes to it's factory tuning program? I do have a Snap On and an Autel scan tool.

Old 05-07-2024, 10:26 AM
LegalizeChey
Tuned
Received 185 Likes on 76 Posts
I think the easiest way to tell would be to inspect the pcm because the programmers get installed into the pcm board…

this is my first rodeo with tuning though so I may be wrong

Old 05-07-2024, 11:49 AM
udsuth78
Logistics Pro
Received 1,297 Likes on 977 Posts
While it is possible to reburn the PCM it really isn't all that common. If it has been reburned it's usually to match some other upgrades like injectors. Even then it's typically a mild tune for streetability and diagnostics. A performance chip is the most common method of adding performance tuning and if it's ever been chipped then it will have a cut out in the PCM case removed and the board connection pins will have been cleaned.

The following users liked this post:
Old 05-07-2024, 11:55 AM
brokestroke
Cargo Master
Received 830 Likes on 473 Posts
Originally Posted by udsuth78
While it is possible to reburn the PCM it really isn't all that common. If it has been reburned it's usually to match some other upgrades like injectors. Even then it's typically a mild tune for streetability and diagnostics. A performance chip is the most common method of adding performance tuning and if it's ever been chipped then it will have a cut out in the PCM case removed and the board connection pins will have been cleaned.
Flash tuners use the OBD2 port as well.

Old 05-07-2024, 11:59 AM
Brandonpdx
Cargo Master
Received 294 Likes on 245 Posts
Outside of the tell tale physical evidence on the back of the PCM where you can see it’s been monkeyed with, not really, sometimes also in the dash there will be jury-rigged holes cut in the dash where switches or ***** were installed after the fact.

they can also be “flashed” with a single tune like mentioned above to where the PCM has different parameters but no outward signs it isn’t stock. You’d know by driving it. If it feels suspiciously peppy with a very sensitive throttle response and rolls coal even with a high flow air filter, that isn’t stock tuning.

The following 2 users liked this post by Brandonpdx:
Old 05-07-2024, 12:00 PM
udsuth78
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by brokestroke
Flash tuners use the OBD2 port as well.
Are you talking about stuff like the edge tuners? I was under the impression those didn't do much actual tuning. More along the lines of boost foolers and those kind of "upgrades". I don't have any real world experience with them only what I've picked up through reading.

Old 05-07-2024, 12:05 PM
brokestroke
Cargo Master
Received 830 Likes on 473 Posts
Originally Posted by udsuth78
Are you talking about stuff like the edge tuners? I was under the impression those didn't do much actual tuning. More along the lines of boost foolers and those kind of "upgrades". I don't have any real world experience with them only what I've picked up through reading.
SCT tuners used OBD2 as well. The ones I have used had very aggressive tuning between 40-100hp.

The following users liked this post:
Old 05-07-2024, 12:10 PM
udsuth78
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by brokestroke
SCT tuners used OBD2 as well. The ones I have used had very aggressive tuning between 40-100hp.
There I go learning something again.

Old 05-07-2024, 12:43 PM
cleatus12r
Butt-Head
Received 1,998 Likes on 1,123 Posts
If the PCM board has no physical evidence of having a chip connected to it (conformal coating will be scraped off of the edge connector) then at least that PCM (OEM or not) has not been "tuned" with a "chip". Most commercially-available flash programmers from Edge, Bullydog, SuperChips, et. al. leave behind a few miscellaneous bytes written to the VID block of the calibration after programming; even after returned to stock. The only way to find this is to actually read the calibration and look at it in a hex editing program. Scan tools cannot do this.

Old 05-07-2024, 01:21 PM
Eman85
5th Wheeling
Thanks for the info,
This truck is very clean for the year, no holes in dash no additional gauges so no tell tale signs of being modified in any way. I'll have to look at the PCM if I get a chance.
All of that said what would be a good tune for this truck. it's a dually and I pull a 28' enclosed car trailer in the mountains sometimes.

Old 05-07-2024, 04:55 PM
Wes444
Logistics Pro
Received 1,155 Likes on 657 Posts
Most likely a 25-40hp tow tune will be best for that application. That's assuming you have an EGT gauge installed first tho. Even a 40hp tune can get too hot on an ascent, yet be all the extra you really need.

All that assumes you have the entire truck @ 100% . The cooling fan engaging is more than enough to feel it when it robs 10-13% of the engine's HP output, so if your cooling system isn't up to snuff and you are heat soaked the entire trip the fan will stay on constantly, robbing you of useable power to the road (and about 2.5mpg)

Old 05-07-2024, 05:36 PM
RacinJasonWV
Lead Driver
Received 1,652 Likes on 1,160 Posts
Originally Posted by Eman85
All of that said what would be a good tune for this truck. it's a dually and I pull a 28' enclosed car trailer in the mountains sometimes.
PHP Hydra is the only way to go. It comes with free access to their stock injector tune library. Switch on the fly between tunes.

https://cncfab.us/products/power-hun...dra-chip-hydra

The following 2 users liked this post by RacinJasonWV:
Old 05-07-2024, 07:55 PM
Don Ridley
Tuned
Received 112 Likes on 96 Posts
I have read that some tuned Fords will not connect to Forscan. It has to do with something that is changed by the tune that Forscan does not recognize as stock. I don't think a chip tune causes this problem. Check out the Forscan posts on this forum for more information. If you want more performance you will need a scan tool to monitor everything.

Old 05-07-2024, 10:24 PM
Eman85
5th Wheeling
Thanks for the info,
As I said truck is new to me and I have some basics to straighten out before I even think about changing the tune. Want to see how it pulls the way it is first and monitor the temperature. Cooling system looks to have been maintained and antifreeze is very clean looking. I'd say I'd need an EGT and a boost gauge also before changing the tune.

Old 05-09-2024, 03:04 AM
aawlberninf350
It's a Van Gogh
Received 826 Likes on 604 Posts
So much to think about.

EGT and boost gauge for sure, but I'd also suggest Fuel Pressure gauge. If something goes wrong cuts diagnosis in half.

If up pipes are OEM they need to be replaced with bellowed.

Hutch and Harpoon mods.

Oh my, I'm getting the vapors with all the options.

Basically we know nothing about the truck and we want you to be as happy as we are. Needs to fit your goals. When you can settle back for a long read try the Failure Prevention Thread, tons of info. Maybe kinda outdated by now but serves as a great primer on these trucks.

The following 3 users liked this post by aawlberninf350:

Quick Reply: How to tell if truck has been "tuned"?