Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oredigger excursion

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2024, 06:07 PM
Oredigger
Mountain Pass
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
There was pressure in the degas, don’t know that I’d consider it excessive, just a little hiss for a second as I loosened it halfway and then took off with no issue. Yeah the hope was to bring the rig back to my tools (in ND) and knock out a lot of the mods; studs, clean oil cooler, delete, CCv mod, coolant filter, blue spring, larger injectors, take care of rear main leak, drop trans pan and filter. Unfortunately all I have with here in New York is a 3/8 drive socket set, some channel locks, screwdrivers, a hammer and a couple crescent wrenches. I know I can buy whatever tools but suck when I already have money invested in nice tools elsewhere. Took it to town today and still has a miss and is depowered though no codes showing on the sct

calling around to get it in to a mechanic in the Watertown area to at least get a diagnosis on what’s causing the no power issue.

Old 05-23-2024, 07:06 PM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 329 Likes on 173 Posts
All you need is a gauge and it will tell you what the problem with the cooking system is.

If the pressure rises quickly on the gauge it's the EGR cooler leaking. If the pressure rises slowly, more than likely heads. When the EGR cooler ruptures or leaks, it makes quite a mess the three ways it does it. Ask me how I know...

Start with codes and you may have your answer sooner than you think.

Also, if you have a 2003 engine and turbo take a close look at the turbo.

Old 05-24-2024, 06:10 PM
Oredigger
Mountain Pass
Comedy of errors

Weather was nice so crawled under today to investigate the larger than previous puddle, substantial oil leak appearing to be from the back of both heads. Further research tells me the head gaskets rarely leak oil and that CAC boot may be the culprit, looks like will have to go buy some cheap harbor freight tools to tear into this thing some.

Also figured I’d change fuel filters to see if that was issue, long story short spent way too much time trying to baby the stupid plastic covers on upper and lower fuel filter. Cracked the plastic nut on the top because the PO apparently decided to torque way beyond spec.

Anyway, plastic nut and wrench are words that don’t belong in the discussion of truck parts. Who sells a decent fitting steel or aluminum replacement for all the filter housings? First and last time I fight with crappy plastic on a heavy duty truck

Old 05-26-2024, 09:52 PM
Oredigger
Mountain Pass
Down the rabbit hole

I was in the glovebox after a drive today searching for the code for the keyless entry and heard a hissing, popped the hood and traced it to one of the heater hoses. Seems to have a weep hole in it? If not placed there intentionally it’s an odd failure being right in the ferrule like that. Coolant coming out some but mostly air. Was running max AC on the drive prior to parking and opening glove box. this cannot be a normal thing correct?

Old 05-26-2024, 10:00 PM
Oredigger
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by Oredigger
Weather was nice so crawled under today to investigate the larger than previous puddle, substantial oil leak appearing to be from the back of both heads. Further research tells me the head gaskets rarely leak oil and that CAC boot may be the culprit
was actually the turbo drain pipe had come loose. Ordered a replacement but in the meantime took intake off and used a piece of wooden lathe I found in someone’s firewood pile at the campground annd an hammer and got it reseated without having to pull the turbo. Gotta get creative when you’re 1500 miles from your own shop. Took for a short drive and came back with only 2 small drips on the cardboard. The old girl was definitely in need of some TLC. Life will be so much easier when I can tear into this thing in my own shop.

Old 05-27-2024, 06:17 AM
01__Excursion
Cargo Master
Received 324 Likes on 255 Posts
I was in the glovebox after a drive today searching for the code for the keyless entry and heard a hissing, popped the hood and traced it to one of the heater hoses. Seems to have a weep hole in it? If not placed there intentionally it’s an odd failure being right in the ferrule like that. Coolant coming out some but mostly air. Was running max AC on the drive prior to parking and opening glove box. this cannot be a normal thing correct?

A/C hose, yes, normal, no.
With the buildup of black gunk, looks to have been a slow leaker for a little while, oil leaking out, collecting dust/debris. The green is the leak dye from the system.

The following users liked this post:
Old 05-27-2024, 06:41 AM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 329 Likes on 173 Posts
Originally Posted by 01__Excursion
A/C hose, yes, normal, no.
With the buildup of black gunk, looks to have been a slow leaker for a little while, oil leaking out, collecting dust/debris. The green is the leak dye from the system.
Correct that hose will need to be replaced.

Old 05-27-2024, 08:00 AM
Oredigger
Mountain Pass
Thanks guys, assuming will need a full purge and recharge with this job then, correct?

Old 05-27-2024, 08:24 AM
'89F2urd
Lead Driver
Received 165 Likes on 140 Posts
Thanks guys, assuming will need a full purge and recharge with this job then, correct?
A/c is work is jam packed with "misewells", since any and all service requires purging. Check all hoses, strainers, any removable orifice, etc while you're at it. It's a good idea to replace the dryer too, its not very expensive.

Old 06-05-2024, 08:46 PM
Oredigger
Mountain Pass
While I wait to get in to one of the few diesel shops here in the Watertown area, Amazon delivered my obdlink Mx and ran forscan, at least now I have a place to start troubleshooting the poor running.

Old 06-05-2024, 08:52 PM
unleashd
Fleet Mechanic
Received 83 Likes on 53 Posts
While I wait to get in to one of the few diesel shops here in the Watertown area, Amazon delivered my obdlink Mx and ran forscan, at least now I have a place to start troubleshooting the poor running.

I would suggest moving this thread over to the 6.0 section. Be aware that you will need to pull a lot more info to be collected from ForScan than just this list of codes to get the right guidance. JMHO.