Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

1996 Explorer Limited OEM Suspension Height

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2024, 02:39 PM
Martin Torres
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1996 Explorer Limited OEM Suspension Height

Where can I find the OEM suspension ride height for a 1996 Explorer Limited with Automatic Ride Control? I installed an add a leaf kit to compensate for worn leaf squat but it now sits too high when it is empty and the "Check Rear Ride Control: or something similar warning comes on. I believe it's trying to level out the car by letting air out of the shocks. Ride height sensors are not adjustable and after scouring the internet, it does not seem to be a way to reset the "zero" on the system. Once I can determine the stock height I can come up with a solution. Thanks. Pic is with the back loaded with about 500 lbs.

Old 05-01-2024, 12:46 PM
shorod
Logistics Pro
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts
That information is typically in the "specifications" section of the factory service manual. I'll try to find time this evening to check and provide if I find it, unless someone beats me to it.

-Rod

Old 05-01-2024, 10:10 PM
shorod
Logistics Pro
I was able to make a PDF of the ride height measurements and settings for the 1996 Explorer. I attempted to attach it. I've never tried attaching a PDF before so we'll see if it works.

-Rod

Attached Images
File Type: pdf
1996_Explorer_Ride_Height.pdf (219.1 KB, 5 views)
Old 05-02-2024, 11:48 AM
Martin Torres
Tuned
Originally Posted by shorod
I was able to make a PDF of the ride height measurements and settings for the 1996 Explorer. I attempted to attach it. I've never tried attaching a PDF before so we'll see if it works.

-Rod
It worked. I'll have to look around to find my hoist with frictionless plates. I think it's maybe in a back drawer.... Thanks. This will help.

So let me throw this at you. Had a squat and significant driver's side lean. I had it aligned and he said he cranked the driver's side torsion bar almost all the way and there was still a lean. I swapped the rear leafs side to side and installed an add a leaf. Rear was too high but visually it appeared to take the lean out but I never measured it. The ARC was constantly trying to lower the rear and after about 15 minutes would give me the error message on the center control panel. The bottom OEM spring was the same length as the add a leaf so yesterday I took them out. It dropped it down to an inch above the fronts measuring the wheel well high point to the ground. BUT!!! the driver's side lean is back. No sign of a bent frame or a repaired accident.

I pulled the torsion bars thinking maybe the driver's side was old and weak like me and was gonna swap them side to side until I learned that is a big no no. So I reinstalled them and used the adjustment bolts and adjusted them the same number of turns. The closest I can get cranking the driver torsion bar all the way in and the passenger backed out until the bolt retainer hits is the drivers side 1" lower than the passenger side measured at the wheel wells. Since I swapped the leafs the passenger side has the weak spring now. playing with the torsion bar adjusters I learned that it raises and lowers the opposite rear corner also. Does this sound like a torsion bar that is old and weak and needs to be put out of it's misery?

Old 05-02-2024, 12:34 PM
shorod
Logistics Pro
If you have drawers that can hide a hoist and frictionless plates, I'm jealous of the storage space you have!

I'm certainly not the best person to speculate on this issue. If my dad were still around I'd ask him since he was pretty much the area's alignment guru and I recall he had a few torsion bars around that he would use for really long and strong pry bars so I know he found reason to replace torsion bars at some point. During the time that I was shadowing him though we adjusted a few to address ride height concerns but never came across one that required more than a few turns of the cam bolt or whatever it's called.

Have you inspected all the body mounts and height sensors to make sure none of the mounts have deteriorated enough to shift the body and the linkage for the height sensors are not bent or improperly installed? From looking through the service manual last night it appears the ARC has pretty good diagnostics associated with it. Do you have access to a high end scan tool that could access the ARC system and maybe see what it shows for height sensor readings? Is there any indication that maybe one of the torsion bars was replaced at some point (such as a lack of factory paint markings, fresher coat of paint, etc.)? And of course, have you confirmed all tires are properly inflated per the door jamb placard?

-Rod

Old 05-02-2024, 01:00 PM
Martin Torres
Tuned
Originally Posted by shorod
If you have drawers that can hide a hoist and frictionless plates, I'm jealous of the storage space you have!

I'm certainly not the best person to speculate on this issue. If my dad were still around I'd ask him since he was pretty much the area's alignment guru and I recall he had a few torsion bars around that he would use for really long and strong pry bars so I know he found reason to replace torsion bars at some point. During the time that I was shadowing him though we adjusted a few to address ride height concerns but never came across one that required more than a few turns of the cam bolt or whatever it's called.

Have you inspected all the body mounts and height sensors to make sure none of the mounts have deteriorated enough to shift the body and the linkage for the height sensors are not bent or improperly installed? From looking through the service manual last night it appears the ARC has pretty good diagnostics associated with it. Do you have access to a high end scan tool that could access the ARC system and maybe see what it shows for height sensor readings? Is there any indication that maybe one of the torsion bars was replaced at some point (such as a lack of factory paint markings, fresher coat of paint, etc.)? And of course, have you confirmed all tires are properly inflated per the door jamb placard?

-Rod
Yes, Yes, Yes, Forscan and all checks out, Both bars look OEM and original, all new tires with correct air pressure. One thing I am gonna do after reading the attachment you sent is turn off the ARC (which I did before) and take the airlines off. Maybe there is one or more shocks that are working but not the same ride height.