Swaying with new truck using same WDH

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2024, 01:29 PM
dilas
Tuned
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Swaying with new truck using same WDH

I've been using the Andersen WDH for last ten years with my previous F150 pulling with 24' travel trailer with no problems. In fact, loved it. Then I traded the travel trailer for a longer one with 29'. Works pretty good with my F150, but decided to upgrade with a new F350 after two years. Finally had a first towing experience over the weekend using the same WDH attached to the 29' TT. Lower the hitch height to keep the trailer level, and to my surprise that the sway is much noticeable towing the same TT with new F350 driving on interstate at around 70mph. It had some winds over the weekend, but I've driven through the wind bunch of times so I'm pretty familiar how it feels. But the sway was pretty extreme this time, any advice? The Andersen WDH works really well in the past, I've tried to tighten up the chain to transfer the weight to front end of truck. Still no difference. Trying not to overreact by getting a different WDH, but will be open minded if it's necessary. Hmm, the only difference I can think of is that I had to use the 2.5" to 2" adapter sleeve on the hitch end.

The following users liked this post:
Old 04-30-2024, 03:53 PM
Strider250
Mountain Pass
Received 139 Likes on 93 Posts
I would be suspicious of the built in sway control feature of your truck which can fight with your WD hitch, this can easily be disabled. I would check with Anderson for their recommendations to see if they recommend turning it off. Blue Ox recommends turning it off which I do every time I start the truck with the trailer attached because the default is "On" and there appears to be no way to set the default to "Off". I have no problems with sway with it off.

Old 04-30-2024, 04:06 PM
dilas
Tuned
Hmm, good to know this. Is this under Towing settings or truck settings? Still have lots to learn on this truck.

Old 05-01-2024, 07:01 AM
SpencerPJ
Laughing Gas
Received 207 Likes on 169 Posts
My guess, the trailer is loaded poorly, with much too much weight on rear end. You need 12-15% of overall weight on the tongue. Personally, I would take it to the scales at a truck stop. This link is pretty good on how to do it https://vehq.com/weigh-travel-trailer/

Old 05-01-2024, 08:38 AM
Strider250
Mountain Pass
Received 139 Likes on 93 Posts
Originally Posted by dilas
Hmm, good to know this. Is this under Towing settings or truck settings? Still have lots to learn on this truck.
It is under Towing, just scroll down. The biggest pain is that you have to turn it off every time you start the truck with the trailer attached.

Old 05-01-2024, 01:50 PM
seventyseven250
Lead Driver
Received 455 Likes on 332 Posts
Get your weights, otherwise you are just guessing. The 3 weigh method at the CAT scales is how I do it.

The following 2 users liked this post by seventyseven250:
Old 05-03-2024, 07:46 AM
dilas
Tuned
Originally Posted by Strider250
It is under Towing, just scroll down. The biggest pain is that you have to turn it off every time you start the truck with the trailer attached.
Hmm. Is that what ForScan can help by disabling permanently? There are other things I want to disable but am annoyed having to manually every time I start the truck.

Old 05-03-2024, 01:37 PM
B-ManFX4
Laughing Gas

Received 779 Likes on 358 Posts
Originally Posted by dilas
I've been using the Andersen WDH for last ten years with my previous F150 pulling with 24' travel trailer with no problems. In fact, loved it. Then I traded the travel trailer for a longer one with 29'. Works pretty good with my F150, but decided to upgrade with a new F350 after two years. Finally had a first towing experience over the weekend using the same WDH attached to the 29' TT. Lower the hitch height to keep the trailer level, and to my surprise that the sway is much noticeable towing the same TT with new F350 driving on interstate at around 70mph. It had some winds over the weekend, but I've driven through the wind bunch of times so I'm pretty familiar how it feels. But the sway was pretty extreme this time, any advice? The Andersen WDH works really well in the past, I've tried to tighten up the chain to transfer the weight to front end of truck. Still no difference. Trying not to overreact by getting a different WDH, but will be open minded if it's necessary. Hmm, the only difference I can think of is that I had to use the 2.5" to 2" adapter sleeve on the hitch end.
Make sure your rear tires are inflated to the max rated pressure for their tow rating. When I bought my TT I started the journey home and was not happy with the sway I was experiencing. I stopped and looked at my rear tires - I had them at 60 lbs. because that is where I keep them for unloaded driving. Adding 20 lbs. to them eliminated all sway and made the entire combo feel very much stable and planted.

The following 2 users liked this post by B-ManFX4:
Old 05-03-2024, 02:07 PM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,946 Likes on 2,811 Posts
What tires are on the new truck? I had a terrible towing experience with a set of tires that replaced the OEM Goodyear Wranglers. The truck itself was swaying which then cause the trailer to also sway. I went back to the tire store and they swapped them back to the Wranglers and towing was back to being great.

I've never had to tweak the truck's sway control setting.

On the hitch, is the ball firmly inserted into the cone? If the friction material in the cone is shot then you may not be much sway control.

Old 05-08-2024, 11:16 PM
CathedralCub
Lead Driver
Received 777 Likes on 708 Posts
Just so we are sure that we are all on the same page, confirming the trailer is swaying behind the truck while the truck is stolidly tracking straight forward without moving side to side?

Also, what tires are on this truck?

Old 05-09-2024, 03:32 PM
redford
Received 1,597 Likes on 933 Posts
I just went thru this with a Blue Ox WDH. Turning the truck sway control off made a huge difference. With sway control on, the TT swayed and felt twitchy.

On my 2019 F-250, you can turn off sway control on each trailer setup menu, although it is prudent to check it each time you start.

Old 05-09-2024, 09:34 PM
dilas
Tuned
Originally Posted by CathedralCub
Just so we are sure that we are all on the same page, confirming the trailer is swaying behind the truck while the truck is stolidly tracking straight forward without moving side to side?

Yes

Also, what tires are on this truck?
The truck came with OEM Bridgestone dueler. I have yet to tow the trailer again in last two weeks. It’s been windy nonstop daily in last few weeks. Hope to tow it to cat scale and check out the numbers then adjust the chains on the Andersen to get the numbers correct this weekend. Will try to turn off automatic sway control on the SuperDuty and see.

Old 05-09-2024, 11:41 PM
CathedralCub
Lead Driver
Received 777 Likes on 708 Posts
Sounds like you're on the right track. My next question was about tongue weight.

Also:

Any difference with aerodynamics on the truck? . . . such as the F-150 had a full height topper and the F-350 does not?