1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

'03 F250 CC XLT 4wd - Wipers and ABS issue - Coincidence?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2024, 11:54 PM
Scott Vincent
Mountain Pass
Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts
I am quite impressed Y2K, the more I read through your posts and comments to other peoples Posts, I am becoming more inclined to think I missed something in life, you sir, are quite the engineer! Methodical and detailed to very high degree that I truly admire. Thanks for sharing.

Old 04-28-2024, 11:58 PM
Scott Vincent
Mountain Pass
Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts
I was able to work a few hunches this weekend, yes, something my OCD and PTSD forces to do or I would beyond help, I don't expect more analytical minds to understand, but that is how I have to live. Anyways, I went to a local salvage yard on Saturday, the only one within 30-40 miles that showed they had relevant vehicles for my hunt, 2 ea. '03 F350's with 7.3L remnants, and 1 ea. '05 F350. To cover my bases, I scavenged a great set of tow hooks off of an '03 F250 (no, i did not need them, but I 'collect' things, I scavenged a wiper motor (to have on-hand should it be needed to fix the wiper issue identified in the OP), and finally, i scavenged the last ABS pump which had the ABS module attached from one of the '03 F350's. Since the engine compartment was fairly clean, it was an easy pull, AND it was the right series for my part number so I took it. For pump and module, $45, and I could not find a rebuild from anyone respectable for the module rebuilt, for less than around $400; eBay has several complete assembly's for reasonable prices, ~$200-$400 for module and pump, but I hope my $45 proves worth my effort; it was therapeutic so that is a bonus.

After my salvage yard session, I was able to dig deep and do more research, I found a few interesting things, interesting to me, but I hope it helps others:

A bad ABS Module will cause the 4WD ESOF to cease operation (as mine is not working), windshield wiper and washer motor will cease operation, and of course the ABS system will cease to function properly. I saw a sentence in the Wiper Motor section for the Ford Shop Manual that caught my eye and I started digging. This was after I retraced my steps meticulously trying to see if I screwed up when I replaced the cluster bulbs with LED's last week, or during my exploratory Fuse Panel expedition. In the end, I am feeling more confident that I did not cause this issue, but I am not 100%, so there is still room for finger pointing.

This evening I spent about 4 hours tracing my steps, installing a new Dorman wiper/signal switch to test if it was a simple fix, and reading, lots of reading, thanks to @Sous and his contribution to the cause. And this is where I found the information in the previous paragraph. Tomorrow morning, am going to replace the original ABS Module with the scavenged one to see if there is an improvement in the DTC's and pray there is positive news.