Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

Truck Covers

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2024, 12:30 PM
tbear853
Lead Driver
Received 1,349 Likes on 1,143 Posts
Maybe success. It's been a few days since adding the dangles with eyes and those speaker magnets (most birds can see magnetic energy as light, it's one way they can migrate using earth's magnetic poles, and extra magnets disturb them so they will avoid those places) to the owl .... and I have seen no birds in the carport, no poops either. Before the added dangles and magnets .... I was finding fresh poops about every day.

I picked up a few of the 4" magnetic parts cups at HF to maybe hang. At $3 each, I figured ... can't hurt to add them. Might just leave them in the molded plastic packaging that has a nice hang-up hole. I searched through the display, picked out some with smooth non embossed bottoms for high reflectivity.

Old 05-26-2024, 04:46 PM
tbear853
Lead Driver
I'm still considering .... and drawing ... some DIY alternative tonneau cover ideas. I did pick up a can of Iron Armor yesterday to weather proof whatever I do so it can be left in place if desired. I've drawn up a few ideas, and I keep coming back to a certain idea. Basically pretty much as shown above in post 11, a center square about 35" x 35" will handle any spare I'll carry. I'm pretty sure I'll start cutting my pieces this coming week. We have plans the first full week of June, so if I get my pieces cut out this week and can coat what needs coating with the HF Iron Armor bed liner stuff ... it should be well cured by the time we return. I'm not buying any wood, I'm using accumulated "left over" from long past projects.

If the truck is covered, I want to be able to just remove the soft cover and it be presentable so I can just leave it (the tonneau) in place ... and go. If it rains, any water leaking in will wind up in the drop in bed liner floor and run out at a grade. If I find I need to remove it at Lowe's, etc .... for a large item, it'll be easy to take down and simply lay the pieces in the bed. Like a "house of cards with boundaries".

Still no more bird poops on either truck so maybe the added dangles and those speaker magnets on the fake owl are working.
I was watching a bird yesterday evening .... It looked like it was going in, but it suddenly turned and flew around and down along the side of that carport. That carport has metal on 3 sides. Later, it came back from behind and sat on the top of the awning I added .... but it never went in.

Old 05-26-2024, 06:16 PM
Rubiranch
Cargo Master
Received 1,491 Likes on 878 Posts

Still no more bird poops on either truck

The following users liked this post:
Old 05-26-2024, 09:31 PM
tbear853
Lead Driver
Poor bird. Poor cat. That car is possessed.

Old Yesterday, 12:45 AM
tbear853
Lead Driver
No pics yet, but today I did decided on a plan for my bed cover support that will
  1. Be easy to set up & to take down
  2. Easy to store sections in the bed (like if I take it down to haul something home "unplanned")
  3. When set up in place, strong enough to walk on
  4. Top surfaces impervious to water / snow, & sun. (bed liner coating)
  5. Span / rest on the "rail guard" on my bed rail tops
  6. Not be water "proof" (water can run out at the tailgate), just will not damaged by water.
  7. No large heavy sections of plywood as the two heaviest pieces are 20-1/2 ponds, two lighter ones 12.9 pounds each. Total "lid" weight will be about 67 pounds with coatings.

I've decided to run 4 pieces across the bed rail tops, all together they'll cover the open bed from tool box to tailgate, overlapping the bed side tops (that are already protected with Pace's "Rail Guard"), and on top of the tailgate protector. I'll build a light weight but sturdy center support when the 4 top pieces are final fitted. Today I cut the 4 top or lid pieces from some left over unused sheets of 5/8" thick T-111 plywood, and after checking fit I'll coat with that Iron Armor bed liner. I figure the rough texture will provide good bite for the Iron Armor.

I have also come up with a secure way to clamp under the bed rails with one at each end of each piece. Dealing with 8 screw hold downs and slide pieces into bed floor or stand up in the carport should be pretty easy. So far, my 4 pieces are each 68" long, two are 15" wide, two are 24" wide. With a center support, just setting lengthwise in the bed, it'll work nicely.