Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upcoming Cross Country Trip in a 20 Year Old Excursion Towing a Camper

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2024, 03:54 PM
Excurvelle
Cargo Master
Received 224 Likes on 149 Posts
Camper's systems have been checked, broken gate valve handle, part ordered. Cleaned awning and outside of camper, waxing in process. Inside has been cleaned. Small adjustments and repairs being made, food being stocked.10 gallons of emergency diesel and second spare on camper rear rack, getting all tools together. The camper bearings were repacked a month or two ago, has not been moved since, wet bolts also greased.

Excursion's oil and filter changed, tires aired up to towing pressures. I am also carrying oil change supplies, 5000 miles will go by fast. The plan is to wash and wax it tomorrow.Also have to prep the house this week. All coming together.

The following users liked this post:
Old 04-30-2024, 05:24 AM
01__Excursion
Cargo Master
Received 298 Likes on 235 Posts
I just replaced all my handles with metal ones...

https://www.rvlocksandmore.com/Metal-Valve-Cover

Old 05-07-2024, 09:11 AM
Excurvelle
Cargo Master
Day 4. .....

Back to Day 1. Left Home and got on I-40 30 minutes from the house. We have been on I-40 the whole time. Ran into Knoxville and Nashville traffic, sometime after Nashville we heard a bang under the hood, I knew what it was, pulled off to the shoulder and found turbo pipe loose from the boot. Grabbed my 11MM deep well and reinstalled, has not come loose since. We made it to Arkansas just over the Mississippi for the night.

Day 2, drove from the Eastern border of Arkansas to Amarillo, TX, just a long day. Goal was also to skirt the incoming storm system. Ate at the Big Texan and sprayed cars at Cadillac Ranch.
Blower fan started making a clicking noise, to be safe I bought one and will replace if needed, but now the noise is gone. Got to have the parts when needed. when remote from shopping areas.

Day 3.. Left Amarillo, had winds all night and drove into the wind all day, truck really go a workout. Ended up near Winslow ,AZ.

So far, other than the turbo hose, no major issues.

The following 3 users liked this post by Excurvelle:
Old 05-07-2024, 10:22 AM
WE3ZS
Received 848 Likes on 586 Posts
Sounds great so far, except for that boot. The wind is a very real part of traveling, especially towing in TX and the MidWest at times, seems to always be a headwind!

Keep the travel logs coming as connectivity and time allows, it’s always fun to see and read about new places!

Old 05-07-2024, 11:36 AM
unleashd
Fleet Mechanic
Received 69 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Excurvelle
Back to Day 1. Left Home and got on I-40 30 minutes from the house. We have been on I-40 the whole time. Ran into Knoxville and Nashville traffic, sometime after Nashville we heard a bang under the hood, I knew what it was, pulled off to the shoulder and found turbo pipe loose from the boot. Grabbed my 11MM deep well and reinstalled, has not come loose since. We made it to Arkansas just over the Mississippi for the night.
Good to see the updates!! Next time that CAC boot comes off, cover the inside with a bit of hairspray for some extra holding before you tighten the clamps.

Old 05-07-2024, 03:12 PM
01__Excursion
Cargo Master
Received 298 Likes on 235 Posts
Originally Posted by Excurvelle
Day 4. .....

Day 2, drove from the Eastern border of Arkansas to Amarillo, TX, just a long day. Goal was also to skirt the incoming storm system. Ate at the Big Texan and sprayed cars at Cadillac Ranch.
Blower fan started making a clicking noise, to be safe I bought one and will replace if needed, but now the noise is gone. Got to have the parts when needed. when remote from shopping areas.

Day 3.. Left Amarillo, had winds all night and drove into the wind all day, truck really go a workout. Ended up near Winslow ,AZ.

So far, other than the turbo hose, no major issues.
Cadillac Ranch hasn't aged much sine I last saw it August 2017...!!!

Old 05-07-2024, 04:31 PM
Excurvelle
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by unleashd
Good to see the updates!! Next time that CAC boot comes off, cover the inside with a bit of hairspray for some extra holding before you tighten the clamps.
Crazy thing was we were through the mountains and cruising, Good advice on the hairspray but standing next to I-40 with rain my goal was to get moving. I keep checking the clamp, hasn't budged since Tennessee.

The following 2 users liked this post by Excurvelle:
Old 05-08-2024, 03:13 AM
John in OkieLand
Fleet Mechanic
Received 540 Likes on 414 Posts
I well remember when Cadillac Ranch was Private Property, and no admittance was allowed, the car still had their factory paint on them.....

lived in Phoenix, AZ from 1991 to 2011 and made a lot of trips by there, going to OKC to see my parents.