1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

Airbag light flashing

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2024, 02:08 PM
glstrich6
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Airbag light flashing

Hi all, I am new to the forum. Hope to get some help with my airbag issue. Thanks in advance for your help.
I am based in Portugal and own a 2003 Ford Ranger 2.5D 4x4 109hp. Bought the truck used with flashing airbag light and have been trying to fix it since. With an inspection upcoming I need a fix to pass. Her is the
of the light.
One complication is that the truck does not have ab OBD port (I know all EU vehicles were supposed to have one in 2003, but this one does not. more on this in another thread). Instead it has a 17 PIN Mazda style socket. So far nobody managed to connect a scanner to it.
According to the repair manual of the truck, it should be indicating the airbag fault codes through the blinking pattern of the airbag light in the dashboard. Here is what it says:

The SAS unit has an on-board diagnostic function that flashes or illuminates the air bag system warning light to indicate trouble in the air bag system. The trouble can be determined by the warning light illumination or flashing pattern. Caution: When the output pattern continuously flashes (standby code), perform the deployment authorization procedure. (Refer to AIR BAG SYSTEM, AIR BAG MODULE DEPLOYMENT AUTHORIZATION PROCEDURE.)

In my case it flashes continuously, so I followed the AIR BAG MODULE DEPLOYMENT AUTHORIZATION PROCEDURE several times but the light is still flashing:

3. If the air bag system warning light flashes continuously, turn the ignition switch to LOCK position then back to ON position after more than approximately 1 second.
4. Verify that the air bag system warning light illuminates for approximately 6 seconds and then goes off.
5. If the light stays on, perform the deployment authorization procedure again.

Am I missing something? Any other ideas on how to proceed?
Thanks for your help!
Gleb

Old 02-01-2024, 03:53 PM
G2IC_Wraith
Laughing Gas
Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Gleb,
I can certainly tell you I am not familiar with non-US diesel Rangers.
I believe your statement about not having the OBD2 port is "normal" for a diesel.
I am not a diesel guy, but I know they operate VERY differently than the gas engines & the emissions are just as different.
You likely don't have o2 sensors with catalytic converters hence the no OBD2.

I know it is an older truck, but have you checked with your local dealer to see if there is an outstanding Recall notice or TSB for your model year?
There were tons of recalls about air-bags for many makes & models here in the States for several years. Maybe worth the phone call.

If it were my truck I would probably start with the things I think I could handle.
DISCLAIMER: WARNING BE VERY CAREFUL POKING AROUND WITH YOUR AIR-BAGS!
It is possible this could be something as simple as a loose or faulty connection under the bag on the steering wheel.
If you discharge all battery power & are careful you can remove the air-bag & check the contacts / wires.
If you don't feel comfortable messing with the air-bag, this might be one of those "leave it to the pros" tasks.
Good luck.

Old 02-01-2024, 04:34 PM
glstrich6
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks, checked connections and found a loose connector to the airbag module. problem solved!
​​

Old 02-01-2024, 09:52 PM
G2IC_Wraith
Laughing Gas
Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Good to hear.
Glad you got it fixed.