Sponsored by: Moser

Looking for a new to me 2012-2014 SuperCab 5.0

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2024, 08:31 AM
f100beatertruck
Cargo Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Looking for a new to me 2012-2014 SuperCab 5.0

As the title states, I'm looking for a SuperCab, 6.5' bed 5.0 4x4 in the 12-14 vintage.

So far I've picked up to look to see if the transmission recall has been done - better said, look to see if there are any open recalls. Any tips on trying to ID problems on a test drive? I'm assuming I should plan 20-30 minutes with a variety of driving, but I didn't know if there were any tell tale sines.

I've heard a few of the earlier 5.0's had problems and if I hear piston slap I should walk away. How common is the issue and how well can someone hide it if they're trying to offload it? I found a really nice 2012 I like with about 80k and worry about it having problems. I assume by 80k I'd know if it had an issue with piston slap / oblong bores.

Axles - I don't recall seeing just a limited slip. Do they exist? I see locking and non-locking and can spot the dash switch as a quick check. I don't want an open diff. Although I guess I could put a spartan in. I'm not going major off roading, just snow, dirt trails, easy stuff. I don't need a locking rear - I want it. LSD is fine too.

I've noticed a couple dash options. Some have a green LCD that looks like it's from 2000 and some have a nice color display. Any guides or insight into what models got what and if it matters? I want good Bluetooth and a backup camera, but I'm ok with aftermarket so I don't know if it matters. Maybe if one is easier to upgrade?

Any other problem areas? I've heard about the leaking 3rd brake light.

Thanks

Old 01-04-2024, 08:21 AM
mrderek
Trailering
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I don't have any answers for the questions that you pose but I just wanted to give some feedback on the 2013 SuperCab that I bought within the last year. I wanted a SuperCab because the regular cabs do not provide enough interior storage space and the CrewCabs are too large for my taste. The first time I took my truck to go grocery shopping I discovered a severe flaw. As you may already know, the doors on SuperCabs are "suicide doors". Imagine someone parks next to you while you are shopping. You come back with your cart and want to load the groceries into the back seat. Unfortunately, there is not enough room to open both doors and have the cart next to the truck to unload because there is another vehicle parked next to you.
If I had realized this issue before I bought the truck, I would have got a standard cab or SuperCrew.

Old 01-04-2024, 12:20 PM
Johnny Paycheck
Laughing Gas
Received 127 Likes on 111 Posts
Originally Posted by f100beatertruck
As the title states, I'm looking for a SuperCab, 6.5' bed 5.0 4x4 in the 12-14 vintage.

So far I've picked up to look to see if the transmission recall has been done - better said, look to see if there are any open recalls. Any tips on trying to ID problems on a test drive? I'm assuming I should plan 20-30 minutes with a variety of driving, but I didn't know if there were any tell tale sines.

I've heard a few of the earlier 5.0's had problems and if I hear piston slap I should walk away. How common is the issue and how well can someone hide it if they're trying to offload it? I found a really nice 2012 I like with about 80k and worry about it having problems. I assume by 80k I'd know if it had an issue with piston slap / oblong bores.

Axles - I don't recall seeing just a limited slip. Do they exist? I see locking and non-locking and can spot the dash switch as a quick check. I don't want an open diff. Although I guess I could put a spartan in. I'm not going major off roading, just snow, dirt trails, easy stuff. I don't need a locking rear - I want it. LSD is fine too.

I've noticed a couple dash options. Some have a green LCD that looks like it's from 2000 and some have a nice color display. Any guides or insight into what models got what and if it matters? I want good Bluetooth and a backup camera, but I'm ok with aftermarket so I don't know if it matters. Maybe if one is easier to upgrade?

Any other problem areas? I've heard about the leaking 3rd brake light.

Thanks
I believe Ford went with the electronic locking rear by this time. I’m not sure what goes into installing the factory version, so if you want it that badly, aftermarket will have to do.

The nice gauge display is optional on 301A XLTs and standard on 302A and up. It’s the 4.2” display.

You’ll want to go aftermarket for Bluetooth and whatnot. I think this generation had the camera display in the mirror if it wasn’t an 8” Screen in the Lariats and up.

Originally Posted by mrderek
Unfortunately, there is not enough room to open both doors and have the cart next to the truck to unload because there is another vehicle parked next to you.
If I had realized this issue before I bought the truck, I would have got a standard cab or SuperCrew.
As a fellow SuperCab owner, this can be overcome. Close the front door and there should be enough room to unload the cart into the back seat.

Old 01-04-2024, 12:53 PM
f100beatertruck
Cargo Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Good info...

I did find out the truck has an open recall on the trans issue, so I want that taken care of first. It's just the reflash.

I have a Nissan Frontier with the "flipper doors" as I call them and yes, open the front enough to open the back then close the front. Not ideal but I like the 6.5 foot bed and 1 foot shorter overall length. I also try and park away the store to reduce door dings, so it's more likely I'll have room. Of course you always have that one idiot that parts in the middle of nowhere with you and parks so close you can't open your door. One time with my Cobra I waited for almost an hour and was half tempted to beat the guy to death. I parked in the absolute farthest spot away as I could and some idiot in a 10yo car parked right next to me and I had to crawl in from the passenger side. He probably saw me pacing and thought no way he was going to come out... There were 100 other spots...

I'm plan on looking to see if Fuse 27 has been relocated. I hope the flash doesn't mess up the shifting but I hear it can. I'll be looking for any hunting or weird shifting. I'm also going to bring my scanner and scan all the modules for codes. I can get to them all, do bi-directional tests and view live data, etc. If the lead frame fails at some point I'll fix it. Kinda sounds like it's a maintenance item like head gaskets on a Subaru.

As for cab corners - it's a Ford... Hate to say it that way but I see so many that are rotted it's almost as if it was a factory option...

Old 01-04-2024, 02:51 PM
rbentnail
More Turbo
Received 65 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by mrderek
I don't have any answers for the questions that you pose but I just wanted to give some feedback on the 2013 SuperCab that I bought within the last year. I wanted a SuperCab because the regular cabs do not provide enough interior storage space and the CrewCabs are too large for my taste. The first time I took my truck to go grocery shopping I discovered a severe flaw. As you may already know, the doors on SuperCabs are "suicide doors". Imagine someone parks next to you while you are shopping. You come back with your cart and want to load the groceries into the back seat. Unfortunately, there is not enough room to open both doors and have the cart next to the truck to unload because there is another vehicle parked next to you.
I replaced the front door checks with a pair from northlightlabs.com. they change the detent position so the front will stay 1/2 open but still be enough to open the rear. Work great!