Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only
View Poll Results: What do you think blew all the oil out of Ol Blue?
Hpop line O rings
0%
Bad pcv valve
0%
Oil sensor seal/ o ring
0%
Rear main seal
0%
Other Devastation
100.00%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

88 F350 Blown its top, or did it?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2023, 08:48 PM
90Ford73
More Turbo
Received 65 Likes on 58 Posts
Yep drain hose that connects to nothing. Post edited because info was already posted above.

I always make sure that hose is clear when I check/change my air filter, I remember Dad telling me a story of how he had parked the truck for a while because he didn’t need it, and came to find out mice had packed that hose full of dog food and were trying to live in the housing. This was probly 20+ years ago, and Dad still gets mad about the mice living in there lol

I’ve had mice living around the glowplug controller, so I make a point of checking because that busbar gets hot back there.

OP, like the guys have said, clean the engine up a little, top off the oil n see where she leaks from. I think the Powerstroke guys were using some kind of UV tracer dye that they dumped in the oil n could trace it with a light right to the source. I don’t know anything about it tho, never used the stuff.

The following users liked this post:
Old 01-09-2024, 03:49 PM
Matt Rex
Trailering
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tecgod13
Tom I hate to contradict you, as you are usually full of top notch info.
The stock location of the oil pressure sensor is on the top back of the engine closer to the passenger side. If it catastrophically failed it could spray up towards the top of the engine, this would be very rare though. Some turbos use that location as an oil feed line and move the oil pressure sensor. I think the Factory ATS puts the oil pressure sender on the top of the turbo. The aftermarket kit leaves it, and feeds the oil from a spot on the back of the block near the oil cooler. Your sensor is maybe installed over there.

That hose is for water to drain out of the filter housing when driving in heavy rain, most vehicles have some sort of drain hose, or hole in the air filter housing for the same reason. In a non-turbo (or N/A) IDI the CDR sits in the back of the valley pan and connects directly to the back of the intake manifold. The lower tube from the CDR that goes to the valley pan is open to the crankcase to pull vapor out of the crankcase, similar to a PCV on a gas engine. In turbo applications the CDR is often moved and that location is used as an oil drain for the turbo.

I do think you are correct that there is an issue with the CDR, as that would better explain the oil in the intake. If excess oil got into the intake, it would drain out the tube and pour over the back of the engine.

There is a test for the CDR where you gently blow into a tiny hole on the back of the CDR and feel if the diaphragm inside moves. Gently means clean the CDR off and use your mouth to blow. If air is leaking out the diaphragm when you blow its definitely bad.
Someone suggested to replace the CDR with a mann provent oil separator since the cdr can go bad so easily even if replaced right now. What do you guys think of the swap while I do the rest of the things in my search?

Old 01-09-2024, 07:56 PM
Matt Rex
Trailering
The more I find about the CDR, the more I worry that it might not be my issue. I know that might be why oil got through to the intake, but it doesnt seem capable of draining almost all the dang oil out on such a short drive like what happened.

Old 01-10-2024, 09:55 AM
tecgod13
Logistics Pro
Received 124 Likes on 105 Posts
Originally Posted by Matt Rex
Someone suggested to replace the CDR with a mann provent oil separator since the cdr can go bad so easily even if replaced right now. What do you guys think of the swap while I do the rest of the things in my search?
I was looking into a mann provent system, or something like it for my '88 a while ago. I ended up throwing together something with an agricultural filter of some sort, but didn't have a useful way to drain the oil out. It ended up being more of a pain in the *** than it was worth, but did catch some oil passing through before it got to the intake. I abandoned it when I moved the turbo to my '93.

The following users liked this post:
Old 02-12-2024, 01:49 PM
Matt Rex
Trailering
Here is the culprit. Copper fitting and copper hose that came out is squirting the oil while running. What is it?

Old 02-12-2024, 02:08 PM
73 Crew
Cross-Country
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Copper line and looks like a compression fitting for a mechanical oil pressure guage? Does the truck have a added on oil pressure guage any where in the cab? Just a guess on my part. Good luck with the fix.

Old 02-12-2024, 02:30 PM
Olds64
Cargo Master
Received 342 Likes on 294 Posts
At least you found the source of the leak. Remove that copper fitting and take it to the hardware store so you can find a plug for it.

Old 02-12-2024, 04:33 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,307 Likes on 2,300 Posts
Originally Posted by 73 Crew
Copper line and looks like a compression fitting for a mechanical oil pressure guage? Does the truck have a added on oil pressure guage any where in the cab? Just a guess on my part. Good luck with the fix.
agreed. looks like a fitting and line for a mechanical oil pressure gauge.

Old 02-12-2024, 06:49 PM
Matt Rex
Trailering
You guys are awesome, and are all correct. We tracked it down and saw the fountain of oil once it got running. Now back to the original problem I was dealing with when the oil thing hit. Still a healthy amount of coolant dribbling out right above the starter when running. Cant really see from where, but definitely not from any hoses/anything visible on the top/side of the engine.