1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake rotor/pads recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2023, 04:32 PM
frysl
Cross-Country
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Brake rotor/pads recommendations

Evening all.
I will soon be doing a brake job on all four corners of my 2015 F250. Any recommendations on rotors and pads for the truck? I use it as a daily driver but do frequently tow a camper as well as a tractor on a 20’ trailer.

Old 11-08-2023, 04:53 PM
Truckwardo
Mountain Pass
Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts
White box. Get cheap ones. Rockauto. Durago, centric, Wagner. All the same.

Old 11-09-2023, 08:02 AM
Diamnd1
Laughing Gas
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts
I had 2 complete sets of Powerstop extreme brakes/rotors. 1st one I installed, the 2nd were installed by a shop. I had to replace both sets within 8k miles due to warpage. Customer service from them was rude and of 0 help both times. I bought a set of Detroit axle brakes/rotors and installed myself and have over 10k on them with 0 issues. Great bite, no fade. I have them on my Jeep as well.

The following users liked this post:
Old 11-09-2023, 08:20 AM
WWR
Cargo Master
Received 381 Likes on 337 Posts
I also have the Powerstop Truck 'N Tow on my '11

They've been fine for ~25k but I've come to believe the cheese grater rotors are mostly a gimmick.

If you want better pads you might try Akebono. For rotors, I honestly don't know. RockAuto typically lists some rotors for heavy use that are allegedly "high carbon" and for "fleet" or "severe duty." Maybe worth a shot. Or white box rotors might be just fine for you.

Old 11-09-2023, 08:20 AM
99powerstrokedF250
Fleet Mechanic
Received 374 Likes on 294 Posts
I've always been treated well by whatever brand Advance Auto carries that comes with a 'lifetime' warranty. They seem to hold up pretty well, last time I did brakes on a truck they lasted well over 50k with no fade issues.

Old 11-09-2023, 01:50 PM
Rudiak
More Turbo
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Motorcraft Severe Duty is what I run and would recommend

The following 2 users liked this post by Rudiak:
Old 11-09-2023, 08:57 PM
Antonm23
More Turbo
Received 291 Likes on 207 Posts
Power stop has been default go-to brand recently. Put their stuff on at least seven or eight different vehicles now (including an F250 and an Excursion).

Power stop stuff has always worked good for me. I do my own installation and follow the break-in procedure written on the box.

IMHO, it’s when people don’t follow the break-in procedure that’s written on the dang box ( maybe they don’t even know there is one because they didn’t do the installation themselves ) is the main reason some people has issues while others just don’t.
​​​​​​…

The following 2 users liked this post by Antonm23:
Old 11-10-2023, 08:00 AM
Diamnd1
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by Antonm23
Power stop has been default go-to brand recently. Put their stuff on at least seven or eight different vehicles now (including an F250 and an Excursion).

Power stop stuff has always worked good for me. I do my own installation and follow the break-in procedure written on the box.

IMHO, it’s when people don’t follow the break-in procedure that’s written on the dang box ( maybe they don’t even know there is one because they didn’t do the installation themselves ) is the main reason some people has issues while others just don’t.
​​​​​​…
I did follow the break in procedure per instructions...I mean you said instructions are on the box!! And I was in the truck when the shop did the break in procedure on the 2nd kit as well and was followed per procedure as listed on the box. And why would you not follow break in procedure after spending $$$ and putting your family's well being at risk?? Be kind of stupid!
I have installed many a brake kit that have break-in procedures without issues. Just installed the 3rd high performance kit on my VW that gets abused from Autocross and very spirited driving. Never had any issue with any kit other than the PS kit. And I scratch my head on those 2 kits. Rotors and pads were inspected for cracks as usual. Calipers and slides were inspected and all worked as expected. .
I see that many people have had great performance from the Powerstop kits. I did not and their customer service...well there wasn't any outside of the indignant rudeness I got from them 2x. Besides, I have spent less $$$ on other brands that have yielded better performance and less headache than the PS. Why would I waste $$$ on kits that have excrement for CS and less than desirable service??

Old 11-10-2023, 09:29 AM
Antonm23
More Turbo
Originally Posted by Diamnd1
I did follow the break in procedure per instructions...I mean you said instructions are on the box!! And I was in the truck when the shop did the break in procedure on the 2nd kit as well and was followed per procedure as listed on the box. And why would you not follow break in procedure after spending $$$ and putting your family's well being at risk?? Be kind of stupid!
I have installed many a brake kit that have break-in procedures without issues. Just installed the 3rd high performance kit on my VW that gets abused from Autocross and very spirited driving. Never had any issue with any kit other than the PS kit. And I scratch my head on those 2 kits. Rotors and pads were inspected for cracks as usual. Calipers and slides were inspected and all worked as expected. .
I see that many people have had great performance from the Powerstop kits. I did not and their customer service...well there wasn't any outside of the indignant rudeness I got from them 2x. Besides, I have spent less $$$ on other brands that have yielded better performance and less headache than the PS. Why would I waste $$$ on kits that have excrement for CS and less than desirable service??
I can't comment on Power Stop's customer service (or lack thereof), never had a reason to call them. Before Power Stop entered the game, my default go to was EBC brakes (either their green stuff or their yellow stuff pads). Never had an issue with EBC either, but they just kept getting more and more expensive, so I started looking elsewhere and found Power Stop.

As for people not following break in procedures, yeah, happens all the dang time unfortunately . A lot of people either people don't know ,don't care, or don't think its actually necessary, and its not just limited to brakes. Jeep guys will drop $3k plus getting new gears and lockers installed, and then not follow the gear break-in procedure, then complain that yukon gear/ nitro gear/ whatever gears they bought, suck and are just terrible. Mustang guys will do the same with clutches, can’t tell you how many “brand X clutch sucks, didn’t last 1000 miles” threads I’ve seen. Heck, flat tappet cams have a bad reptuation now becasue people don't follow the cam break-ins, and therefore end up wiping lobes sending metal through their new engine.

Old 11-10-2023, 10:36 AM
Antonm23
More Turbo
Originally Posted by Diamnd1
And oh, BTW

Old 11-10-2023, 03:24 PM
Diamnd1
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by Antonm23
And oh, BTW

Thank you! I needed another box! I ran out this morning!!

Old 11-10-2023, 11:33 PM
INFRNL
Laughing Gas
Received 130 Likes on 109 Posts
You will get a million different answers to leave you more confused than when you posted this.

i have ran several different aftermarket setups and haven't really been pleased with any of them. i've ran cryo rotors and had the worst experience with them. I've ran power stop, power slot, centric and now dynamic friction.
Centric rotors have probably lasted the longest so far.

I have ran hawk pad, power stop/ slot (can't remember but highly recommended) They did the job but nothing really improved over factory.
Centric pads do really well but started getting squeaks here and there around half life. I'm currently testing dynamic friction pads.

I'm going to say this...these "better pads" they are nothing special but one thing I have noticed is they don't perform as well in the cold or initial start of the day. They essentially need to warm up a bit to provide their peak performance.

I do not recommend drilled rotors and the comment about cheese grater, maybe he does not fully understand how slotted rotors work. there is always a trade off even with pads. they will not last as long and can leave more brake dust.
I chose to go slotted rotors for one main reason. yes they will likely wear out the pads a little quicker but they always keep the pads clean with a fresh surface. that is worth the trade off to me.

I have a very long time before I will need brakes again but next run will be EBC rotors and pads.

Raybestos makes good stuff, centric and oem or certain Napa rotors and pads. I am also currently trying out TRQ calipers. I would have went raybestos had i known they make new calipers as I do not want remans because quality is unknown and ford supposedly isn't offering them anymore.

there's another not known brand that is supposedly good but i can't recall the name.
please don't buy into all the hype. in my experience; it's none better than OEM as far as stopping goes. I have not had any of these rotors "warp" I saw very very minor heat/stress cracks starting from the holes in my centric drilled rotors. Not an issue but I still don't recommend them.
Either go with a solid rotor or slotted only. Choose a known name brand pad and you should be fine.

If you like the option to have parts available locally, try to get raybestos or something from napa
You need to fully understand and except the trade offs of performance pads/ rotors if you go that route. Most do not then make false claims about them later

that's the gist of my experience

Old 11-11-2023, 08:57 AM
teddorsey
3rd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Rudiak
Motorcraft Severe Duty is what I run and would recommend
100% agree. I used to do a lot of towing with my 02 F350. Tried aftermarket rotors and pads two times. Warping issues each time. Finally went back to Motorcraft and haven't had any problems.

That's the only time I went off the Motorcraft reservation buying parts for my baby. She has almost 600k on her and still going strong.

Checked the compression a few thousand milea ago. All cylinders running 440-450 psi.

Old 11-11-2023, 09:49 AM
super 6.8
Fleet Mechanic
Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts
If you can get a relatively long life out of the OEM parts why not reuse those?

I did my fronts at 70k and used Motorcraft parts and everything is fine at 97k.

I am getting ready to do the rear brakes for the first time and have no problem buying them from the Ford dealer.

Old 11-11-2023, 11:44 AM
5851a
Logistics Pro
Received 725 Likes on 573 Posts
2005 Mariner 165k on original, I just took it back to Ford for another full set.

Quick Reply: Brake rotor/pads recommendations