5th wheel Gooseneck Mount Hitch Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2023, 12:44 PM
acdii
Logistics Pro
Received 2,099 Likes on 1,428 Posts
Originally Posted by cwtex04
Make sure if you go with GenY you get correct weight rating for your 5thwheel. Gen Y has some standard ratings but can be ordered with higher ratings if needed. Too little capacity and it will have too much bounce . Too high a rating and it will be rough ride . I called GenY and talked to engineer to order what I needed for my rig.
Agreed. I have a Sherline so I can get an accurate pin weight.

Old 10-07-2023, 03:18 PM
Scoobertdoo
Mountain Pass
Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts
I started with a regular B&W hitch but took out my back window with 101 inch wide camper. So I bought an auto sliding hitch, worst decision on a hitch I have ever made. Lucky for me I bought it on FB marketplace and sold it for the same price I paid for it. Was going to go back to to a B&W and take my chances rather then deal with all the hassles of that hitch but gave the Andersen (steel one one rails) a try and loved it.

Gooseneck would be a good option as well, but you couldn't give me another autosliding hitch.

Old 10-09-2023, 08:03 AM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Received 1,182 Likes on 1,074 Posts
Go with the Andersen ! Loved mine for many years.

Old 10-09-2023, 10:53 AM
cwtex04
Tuned
Received 144 Likes on 70 Posts
Originally Posted by Scoobertdoo
I started with a regular B&W hitch but took out my back window with 101 inch wide camper. So I bought an auto sliding hitch, worst decision on a hitch I have ever made. Lucky for me I bought it on FB marketplace and sold it for the same price I paid for it. Was going to go back to to a B&W and take my chances rather then deal with all the hassles of that hitch but gave the Andersen (steel one one rails) a try and loved it.

Gooseneck would be a good option as well, but you couldn't give me another autosliding hitch.
GenY has a offset ball that gives you more clearance for short bed trucks .

The following users liked this post:
Old 10-12-2023, 05:33 AM
Creditcardguy
5th Wheeling
Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts
Anderson recommended the offset #3217 (raised) for my shortbed F250 for better clearance, just fyi. Just ordered it, but now you fellas are scaring me away from it lol. In the process of choosing a fifth wheel but it will be in the 12-14k gwcr range. Anyway beautiful truck and camper combo. Congrats!

Old 10-12-2023, 10:51 PM
Old Turnkey
Cross-Country
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Have towed our 14200gvw 31’ toy hauler just under 15k miles with an Anderson with no issues. The biggest plus for me is it’s easy to take out of the truck. 50ish pounds compared to a couple hundred pounds. We travel about four times a year so using the bed the rest of the time is a big plus. As a side note, if you do go Anderson, get a horse stall mat to set the hitch on. Helps to save wear and tear on the bed/ liner.

FYI. Aluminum version on a B&W turnover ball. 2016 6.7L 4x4 CCSB Haven’t had any turning clearance issues. Just pay attention.

The following users liked this post:
Old 10-16-2023, 12:27 PM
rufushusky
Fleet Mechanic
Received 432 Likes on 307 Posts
Just to piggy back off this thread, I know in the case of the goosebox lippert will honor the frame warranty on 5th wheels using their frame. Anyone running the andersen or Gen-Y have any frame warranty issues with their set ups? TIA.

Old 10-17-2023, 01:01 PM
OBS460
Cargo Master
Received 1,545 Likes on 997 Posts
Originally Posted by rufushusky
Just to piggy back off this thread, I know in the case of the goosebox lippert will honor the frame warranty on 5th wheels using their frame. Anyone running the andersen or Gen-Y have any frame warranty issues with their set ups? TIA.
Good luck getting Lippert to warranty any frame damage with any pin box. Read some RV forums or check out YouTube and you'll see a lot of people having frame issues and Lippert trying to blame everything under the sun to deny warranty. If my frame gets damaged I'll claim it on insurance. I have 1 year left on my "structural warranty". It would take me 3-4 months to get in to an RV dealer to get looked at and then probably months of fighting with Lippert to cover anything. I dropped my 5th wheel off for warranty work right after I bought it and they had it 4 months and didn't fix everything. Grand Design said it was my choice to pick the camper up before they finish the work. I told them it was my choice to buy a Grand Design and if I would have known all their service centers around the country would be booked for 4 months out and take forever to do any work I would have chose different.

If I had frame damage I dont want the same camper back.

Old 10-17-2023, 02:11 PM
cwtex04
Tuned
Received 144 Likes on 70 Posts
Originally Posted by rufushusky
When I bought my New Horizons they offered and still offer GenY hitches as an option. When I asked them about frame / chassis worries they had none since they build their own chassis in house .

Old 10-18-2023, 10:30 AM
acdii
Logistics Pro
Received 2,099 Likes on 1,428 Posts
Don't forget the chains when using the Anderson. It is technically still a gooseneck and BY LAW chains are required! safety chains (part # 3230)

Old 10-18-2023, 10:56 AM
rufushusky
Fleet Mechanic
Received 432 Likes on 307 Posts
Originally Posted by OBS460
Good luck getting Lippert to warranty any frame damage with any pin box. Read some RV forums or check out YouTube and you'll see a lot of people having frame issues and Lippert trying to blame everything under the sun to deny warranty. If my frame gets damaged I'll claim it on insurance. I have 1 year left on my "structural warranty". It would take me 3-4 months to get in to an RV dealer to get looked at and then probably months of fighting with Lippert to cover anything. I dropped my 5th wheel off for warranty work right after I bought it and they had it 4 months and didn't fix everything. Grand Design said it was my choice to pick the camper up before they finish the work. I told them it was my choice to buy a Grand Design and if I would have known all their service centers around the country would be booked for 4 months out and take forever to do any work I would have chose different.

If I had frame damage I dont want the same camper back.
Originally Posted by cwtex04
When I bought my New Horizons they offered and still offer GenY hitches as an option. When I asked them about frame / chassis worries they had none since they build their own chassis in house .
Thanks guys. I got the feeling it would be like getting a warranty claim through on a CP4 failure. Possible but more the exception than the rule or at least that is how it seems.