Sponsored by:

Where to store propane tank?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2023, 07:57 AM
CajunX
Cross-Country
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Where to store propane tank?

I'm trying to figure out where to store/mount a propane tank on the Ex. I use the propane for my blackstone griddle with side burner and for a propane fire pit when camping.

I would like to use a 20 lb tank but could go smaller. Definitely do not want to use the disposable 1 lb tanks.

Any recommendations?

I've considered getting a new bumper with the swing arm, and mount the propane tank on the swing arm. But I'd prefer to not do this, as I don't plan on carrying a spare (running 37" tires and may go to 40's one day). Some of the swing arm bumpers aren't rated for tires that large, and none of the other cars I have owned in the last 15 years have a spare anyways. I also don't care for the look or the added weight of the rear-mounted spare. Another issue is that most of these types of bumpers also do not let you swing the barn doors all the way open.

Now if I could find a swing arm bumper that didn't interfere with the barn doors and would just let me mount propane and water cans, maybe that's an option but a real expensive one.

Also thought of bolting something to the outside of the barn door, but since its fiberglass would have to engineer something that tied it back to the steel on the inside.

Old 09-03-2023, 07:42 PM
ASFC27FTFBQ
Laughing Gas
Received 121 Likes on 86 Posts

The fit and finish of these are awesome. Cut outs for rear lights is a plus.

This is an Aluminess bumper. The arms are capable of holding 150 lbs each. You are right; that they do not let the barn doors swing all the way open.

The following users liked this post:
Old 09-04-2023, 09:39 AM
CajunX
Cross-Country
Are those 2 receivers?

Does it rattle?

Thanks for letting me know you can't open the barn doors all the way. That's something I need to be able to do for my drawer slides.

Old 09-04-2023, 09:59 AM
WE3ZS
Received 858 Likes on 595 Posts
Originally Posted by CajunX
Are those 2 receivers?

If you are referring to the trailer hitch receivers, then yes. ASFC runs the TorkLift SuperHitch 20K dual receiver hitch, there are a few others around here with these super beefy hitches, I love mine!

Old 09-04-2023, 10:54 AM
ASFC27FTFBQ
Laughing Gas
No rattle.
Pic of barn doors wide open with latch undone:

From the inside most edge(s) it is 50 3/4”.

Old 09-04-2023, 01:50 PM
BC2019F250
Tuned
Received 213 Likes on 108 Posts
I don't have a good solution but would definitely keep it stored outside the vehicle.

Old 09-05-2023, 05:46 PM
MasterX
Must Go Faster!!!!!
Received 338 Likes on 259 Posts
yea, definitely not in the cabin, i was coming home from a trip and had a half spent green can in the back, and half way home i started smelling it, and realized it must be leaking, so i stopped, vented the vehicle, and got rid of the can.

I've heard before the cheap green store bought cans do not reseal properly after being used, but first time i experienced it, glad i have a sensitive nose and smelled it before it built up inside too much.

Old 09-05-2023, 06:12 PM
CajunX
Cross-Country
Originally Posted by WE3ZS
If you are referring to the trailer hitch receivers, then yes. ASFC runs the TorkLift SuperHitch 20K dual receiver hitch, there are a few others around here with these super beefy hitches, I love mine!
Forgive my ignorance, but what is the purpose of a dual receiver hitch?

Old 09-05-2023, 08:44 PM
ASFC27FTFBQ
Laughing Gas
Per TorqueLift literature it is for added strength. You can use the upper receiver for a bicycle rack or for some other use. For the Ex, maybe not as good an idea as for a non-barn door configuration.

Old 09-06-2023, 06:53 PM
WE3ZS

Duh……to pull 2 trailers!
Having the choice allows for some additional height adjustability for the drawbar, I use the bottom hole for my Hensley Arrow hitch stinger with its 4” drop/rise going up, keeps the big TT level.
The dual receiver concept was born to allow trucks with slide in campers to also tow heavier trailers with a dual beam truss adapter up to about 4’ with side mounted turnbuckle stays.
The hitch is over the top heavy duty and very well made.

Old 09-06-2023, 07:27 PM
CajunX
Cross-Country
Gotcha. Thanks for the explanation!

Old 09-06-2023, 07:34 PM
CajunX
Cross-Country
Originally Posted by MasterX
yea, definitely not in the cabin, i was coming home from a trip and had a half spent green can in the back, and half way home i started smelling it, and realized it must be leaking, so i stopped, vented the vehicle, and got rid of the can.

I've heard before the cheap green store bought cans do not reseal properly after being used, but first time i experienced it, glad i have a sensitive nose and smelled it before it built up inside too much.
You got lucky for sure.

I hope someone comes up with a solution on where I can mount that propane tank. I keep staring at the Excursion trying to figure it out. I can get by with a 5 lb tank, which is smaller than the standard bbq grill size 20lb tank. That's about as much as I burn in a trip. Hopefully the smaller size will help solve this problem.

Old 09-07-2023, 07:53 AM
WE3ZS
Are you planning to have a roof rack at all? If so getting the small 5lb bottle up and down from there shouldn’t be too much of an issue.

Old 09-07-2023, 01:35 PM
jasonodsky
Fleet Mechanic
Received 154 Likes on 78 Posts
I'm trying to figure out where to store/mount a propane tank on the Ex. I use the propane for my blackstone griddle with side burner and for a propane fire pit when camping.

I would like to use a 20 lb tank but could go smaller. Definitely do not want to use the disposable 1 lb tanks.

Any recommendations?

I've considered getting a new bumper with the swing arm, and mount the propane tank on the swing arm. But I'd prefer to not do this, as I don't plan on carrying a spare (running 37" tires and may go to 40's one day). Some of the swing arm bumpers aren't rated for tires that large, and none of the other cars I have owned in the last 15 years have a spare anyways. I also don't care for the look or the added weight of the rear-mounted spare. Another issue is that most of these types of bumpers also do not let you swing the barn doors all the way open.

Now if I could find a swing arm bumper that didn't interfere with the barn doors and would just let me mount propane and water cans, maybe that's an option but a real expensive one.

Also thought of bolting something to the outside of the barn door, but since its fiberglass would have to engineer something that tied it back to the steel on the inside.
Do you tow a camper for camping or just camp using the Ex? If you're just camping with the Ex, consider a simple hitch carrier. Strap the propane tank to it and be done. A basic one can be had for $60-$80. There are some nicer ones that angle up at the hitch so you get more clearance at the rear.

Jasonodsky

Old 04-27-2024, 06:52 PM
CajunX
Cross-Country
Originally Posted by ASFC27FTFBQ
No rattle.
Pic of barn doors wide open with latch undone:

From the inside most edge(s) it is 50 3/4”.

I really appreciate you measuring that for me! Thank you. I think this may work for my purposes...trying to maximize the width of some pull out drawers I'm installing in the cargo area.