Sponsored by: Moser

state by state dent price range

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2023, 10:09 AM
F-250 restorer
Lead Driver
Received 139 Likes on 119 Posts
state by state dent price range

I recently looked at a thrashed 73 F250, engine needs rebuild, trans 9c6) doesn't work, tires shot, seat shot, door panels trash, plastic and alum. radiator, brakes trash, body panels relatively straight and rust free, except for the hood with severe rust.
The guy here in California wanted $4500. I told him when the price got down around $1500 he should call me.
That made me wonder what the prices are like in other states.
If you have an idea, let the forum know. Thx.

Old 09-02-2023, 11:52 AM
440 sixpack
Lead Driver
Received 1,568 Likes on 1,152 Posts
I pickup like that here in the NW,( OR,,ID ,WA ) will run about $1500 with little or no rust. with rust less. there was a '75 high boy near me for $1500 that was a basket case but no rust and all there for $1500, took him several months to sell it. .

Old 09-02-2023, 12:16 PM
User 32921
Tuned
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts
I paid 2500 for something like that. Parted out what I didn't need for 1000. I only kept the frame, title, cab, doors, hood. The driver's door is trash. Cab needs floors. Bed was trash, tailgate was missing.

If it was at least moving under it's own power I'd say $4500 was good.

Old 09-02-2023, 02:13 PM
OBSession05
Laughing Gas
Received 281 Likes on 187 Posts
Around the mid west (KS, NE and CO) see the running and driving (usually pretty rough shape and need a little TLC) go for around 3500 to 5500. Ones not running and driving go anywhere from 1000 to 2500. Were going dirt cheap a year ago but I think the dentside is getting more desirable around here. With the car market being so messed up from the chip shortage the prices has been up and down for months. Sometimes you'll get one pop up for 500 dollars but you have to jump on it ASAP otherwise it'll be gone in a couple days.

Old 09-05-2023, 10:38 PM
DirtyLarry79
Tuned
Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts
Everything OK is either trashed and super cheap or halfway “restored” and someone put a ugly (expensive) paint job and ugly (expensive) wheels. Trucks that half all thief parts, not beat crap, running with a little work seem very few and far between. But there are very cheap parts trucks, and you could easily find a truck you like and want to fix.

Old 09-06-2023, 05:15 AM
Caleb H
More Turbo
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Living in the rust belt definitely changes prices but not necessarily in the way you'd think. The ones in decent shape here in central PA sit somewhere between $3-5k a lot of the time, and that means the ones you could drive home even if they need some work. There will be rust, it is inevitable. On the other hand, there are certainly plenty listed for sale around where I am for less than $2k that are very repairable and some that aren't even very rusty. Long bed rear-wheel-drive trucks seem to be the ones you can still get for dirt cheap around here, and the heavy duty utility style trucks (F350 dump trucks, flatbeds, etc) are also oddly cheap and take a while to sell, even in ready-to-work condition. But once again, there will always be rust and rot here. It's just a matter of where on the vehicle it is, and how much. I've bought two that just don't have driver's/passenger floorpans anymore, and cab corners are a luxury.

Just like everywhere though, old trucks are trendy and the prices are higher than they used to be, especially on 4x4 models (other than slick sides? Old beaten up 4x4 slicks around here always land at like $1200?) and shortbeds, and there are also plenty of restored or modded trucks that people always want huge money for but they never seem to sell. I think that's not just specific to this area, though.

Old 09-06-2023, 06:19 AM
Mark8man
Laughing Gas
Received 233 Likes on 159 Posts
No pics so have to assume some things and condition. Highboy? Straight rust free body and chassis, that truck here is SW PA (strong truck country) could sell for $4500 but it'd take awhile. More like $3500 and doubt it would last a week on the market at $3500. But truck isn't in SW PA so yea, more like $1500. Everything else is repairable/replaceable by a person with reasonable mechanical skills. Rust repair - not so much. Its not just repairing rusty sheet metal, you have to fight every rusty bolt on the chassis when dismantling vs a dry climate vehicle where 50 year old bolts come off like they were just installed.
When fixing up a truck or car in these parts, rust free sheet metal and chassis is almost worth its weight in gold; no not literally, but you get the idea. Many don't realize what they are getting into with a rust bucket until their time, frustration tolerance, and money are depleted. So anyone that has been down rust bucket road would gladly pay $3500-$4500 to eliminate the challenge right up front.
Peace!

Old 09-06-2023, 10:40 AM
OBSession05
Laughing Gas
Has anyone else noticed that prices have been up and down on these trucks throughout the months? Maybe it's just my area but ever since the chip shortage you'll get trucks that don't run for 5k one month and then 1k the next. The market is beyond f'd up from new vehicle production being stopped off and on for months but seems kind of weird it constantly goes up and down and doesn't stay balanced out for the most part. A great example is the 1st gen superduty. They were going for 15k at 300k miles but now they're barely getting 5k out of them.

Old 09-06-2023, 06:07 PM
Christmas
Cargo Master
Received 341 Likes on 267 Posts
Old 09-06-2023, 06:48 PM
OBSession05
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by Christmas
Holy **** that is expensive. Even a fully restored dentside only goes for around 30k.

Facebook Post
This is what they run around here.
​​​​​

Old 09-06-2023, 06:51 PM
OBSession05
Laughing Gas

Guess the link is private or something

The following users liked this post:
Old 09-07-2023, 05:41 PM
tbear853
Lead Driver
Received 1,313 Likes on 1,111 Posts
Well, it's interesting to see "values" as they change from here and there ... but I bought mine to use in 1986, I know it's history, I know what I have in it, I know what I like.

Was a time a few years ago I was trying to sell it because of illness, I didn't want to saddle my Wife ... and I was not then able to enjoy it. I even offered it at 2500 with that much value in spares, body parts, etc all collected over the years ... going with it. I had guys wanting me to come off that even, then I said "screw it", and Wife said (on our 42nd Anniversary) "Just fix it up and keep it, get Roy to help". She felt I'd enjoy it some that way she said ... & she was right. I guess I put near 10k in it, body work, doors, fenders, bed sides, tailgate, paint, etc and some mods and long planned updates, and while I know it's still just an old truck, I no longer even entertain offers (there's been a few too, even a couple fair ones).

If something happens to me, she knows to let it sit, give it away, or auction it off. It won't make a difference either way ... she's set. If I sold it, even at a profit, I'd not be happy having done so.

One old buddy that I've known since an enforcement action 40+ years ago, has said several times he effed up not jumping on it at 2500, but he's better off restoring tractors. Another old buddy wanted it to just park & collect & haul trash from his shop.

Whatever, when someday someone else winds up with it, he'll maybe be here b****ing about a previous owner's mods. They'll figure it out.

Old 09-07-2023, 08:25 PM
OBSession05
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by tbear853
Well, it's interesting to see "values" as they change from here and there ... but I bought mine to use in 1986, I know it's history, I know what I have in it, I know what I like.

Was a time a few years ago I was trying to sell it because of illness, I didn't want to saddle my Wife ... and I was not then able to enjoy it. I even offered it at 2500 with that much value in spares, body parts, etc all collected over the years ... going with it. I had guys wanting me to come off that even, then I said "screw it", and Wife said (on our 42nd Anniversary) "Just fix it up and keep it, get Roy to help". She felt I'd enjoy it some that way she said ... & she was right. I guess I put near 10k in it, body work, doors, fenders, bed sides, tailgate, paint, etc and some mods and long planned updates, and while I know it's still just an old truck, I no longer even entertain offers (there's been a few too, even a couple fair ones).

If something happens to me, she knows to let it sit, give it away, or auction it off. It won't make a difference either way ... she's set. If I sold it, even at a profit, I'd not be happy having done so.

One old buddy that I've known since an enforcement action 40+ years ago, has said several times he effed up not jumping on it at 2500, but he's better off restoring tractors. Another old buddy wanted it to just park & collect & haul trash from his shop.

Whatever, when someday someone else winds up with it, he'll maybe be here b****ing about a previous owner's mods. They'll figure it out.
Well damn man it's nice to know I'm not the only one feeling that way. My grandpa gave my 76 to me at 15 for my first vehicle. I did a little work but decided it needed a reseal because there was more oil on the outside than inside lol. One thing lead to another and the machine shop did a horrible job working on the block and they ruined my crank and didn't stand by it. I ended up finding a 352 that was torn down for 100 bucks with a T18 already. I salvaged parts off of it and got it running eventually but they forgot one vital thing...an oil plug. It caused the top end to get no oil pressure and after three weeks of trying to rush to get it ready so I could drive it because we were moving and as soon as I went to start it I knew it wasn't going home with me that day. As this was my first ever major tear down of an engine I had no idea what to look for. My dad wasn't sure either as he's been a Chevy guy since young. I dropped it off with a good friend and he found one of the lifters gone and the cam was on it's way out. I was heart broken and once again the machine shop didn't stand by it. Eventually I got very angry with them and eventually they gave in giving me all the parts I needed to fix it for free. Today the truck sits half way blown apart as I've found it hard to work on because it's left a bitter sweet taste every time I tried to work on it. This summer I realized I needed it back remembering all the funs times I had in it. I'm planning a full restore and possibly a 4x4 conversion. It's been apart of my family since the 90's and since I'm the gear head of the family so it's been passed onto me. Out of my entire family I've been the only one who showed interest in it. Everyone just looked at it as a piece of junk but I seen a true legend sitting there waiting to be road worthy again. I'll run it till the day I die and it shall never leave the family EVER and I plan on giving it to the next family member that takes as much interest in old vehicles like this as me. I've said it before and I'll say it again, keep these legends alive and I recommend getting yours sooner than later. As time passes they get harder to find and more expensive to buy and restore.