Sponsored by: DP Tuner

7.3 shuts off after warm up?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2023, 03:19 PM
WILLYSOVERLAND
Cross-Country
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
7.3 shuts off after warm up?

New to me, 1999 f350 256000 on the odometer. in the morning the truck starts good, then when the temperature comes up to normal the truck shuts off and will not start till the temp comes down. it smokes really bad and has a massive oil leak between the block and starter. it has a lot of blowby too. Do I have one two or three problems? no fuel in the oil, no oil in the fuel, no oill or fuel in the antifreeze. I cant see where the oil leak is coming from either. please ask questions. thanks in advance.

Old 08-30-2023, 04:56 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,572 Likes on 2,900 Posts
Maybe the IPR, maybe it is running itself out of oil and stalling.

How many problems you ask, multiple...

You can check if it is the IPR by pouring cool water on the coil or using some keyboard cleaner compressed air upside down to cool the coil. If the engine starts after cooling the IPR, get a new Motorcraft from reputable source.

If the engine is stalling due to lack of oil, fix the leaks and check again.

Keep us updated!

Old 08-30-2023, 05:44 PM
dsrace
Tuned
Received 89 Likes on 72 Posts
Does the check engine light come on when it dies?

did the truck come with some sort of power chip with a dial you turn to change tunes? The reason I ask is i helped work on a truck that had a tw chip/dial that smoked quite a bit out of the tail pipe and had what looked like excessive blow by. Couldn't tell a difference from one tune to another so I disconnected the batteries, removed the chip from the back of the pcm and significantly reduced smoke out of the tail pipe and even reduced blow by some.

as far as the oil leak, thats an odd place. You definitely need to find the source. Sous's recomendation on the ipr will be a good one to try. If it is running low on oil from the leak then pull the dipstick and see if its 2 qts low.

Does it crank a long time on start up? The reason I ask is when I had a couple inj o rings fail, it put oil in the fuel. I didn't notice it until I went to start it and it cranked 3 times longer then normal. Oil was 2 qts low, topped it off and fired right up. That's when I began looking to see where it all went.

Old 08-31-2023, 07:20 AM
WILLYSOVERLAND
Cross-Country
Thank both of you. I love the pour water on the IPR idea. its free and will have immediate results. no codes, no tunes (that i know of). the oil is full, it was full then went low from the leak, and i added more oil so it's at the top of the hash marks. The oil leak is a steady stream. On really cold winters days in PA we let the water run slowly so the pipes don't freeze, that's how the oil is leaking. Thanks again, IM going to try to cool off the ipr.

Old 08-31-2023, 09:49 AM
Matthew_in_CO
5th Wheeling
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Oil will drain from the valley on top of the engine to drain near the torque converter that will daylight near the starter. My bet is that you have an O-ring leak in the high pressure oil system and when the oil thins out it's getting past that leak. Get in there with a flashlight while the engine is running and look on top of the heads and in the valley to see if you can spot the stream. Photos of anything you find will help.

The following 2 users liked this post by Matthew_in_CO:
Old 08-31-2023, 10:10 AM
udsuth78
Logistics Pro
Received 1,352 Likes on 1,012 Posts
You'll probably need an inspection camera to go spelunking in the valley for that leak. The common culprits that can provide a steady stream would be the turbo or pedestal o rings, exhaust back pressure valve actuator, or the hpop. I guess you could also have a oil rail end plug leaking. There is one at either end of each head so that would put one basically on top of the starter. Also a blown turbo shaft seal on the turbine side can let exhaust gases blow right into the center section, then straight down into the crankcase. It can look like gawd awful blowby and have you thinking the motor is smoked.

Old 08-31-2023, 11:22 AM
dsrace
Tuned
I seem to remember having read about an threaded oil plug with o ring of The back of each head. Might be rare but if it has an o ring it could leak there too. That may appear to be real close to the starter as well.

Old 08-31-2023, 12:47 PM
WILLYSOVERLAND
Cross-Country
when cold this morning, i started it up and let it warm up, it shut off and i poured a 16 oz bottle of water on the icp coil, and tried to re start it. It did not start. I was going to buy a miraa on a stick, now im going to get a inspection camera instead. Thank you for the list of common culprits. just to have a starting place to look helps a lot. its a sunny day im going to go out and look around. thanks guys.

Old 08-31-2023, 12:56 PM
WILLYSOVERLAND
Cross-Country
I tried the cold-water trick on the ICP, it did not re start after a 16-ounce bottle of cold water. thank you for the list of culprits, it's a great starting place and direction for me to go. it's a bright sunny day, I'm going to turn it into the sun and go look for the leak. I will report back with the results.

Old 08-31-2023, 12:59 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,572 Likes on 2,900 Posts
Cool water on the IPR, not the ICP.

The IPR is under the fuel bowl toward the driver side and is horizontal. The ICP is on the driver side head and is vertical.

Old 08-31-2023, 01:17 PM
dsrace
Tuned
Do you have a scan tool you can connect to watch oil pressure (icp) , injection percentage rate (ipr%) tach, injector pulse width, etc etc? That may show something shutting off.

Old 08-31-2023, 06:03 PM
WILLYSOVERLAND
Cross-Country
i do not have a scan tool. today i started it up and looked for the source of the leak. it was hard to tell but it was flowing from the HPOP direction. I'm short and fat so seeing down aside of the fuel bowl is rough especially with the motor running.
Question. Is the IPR a common spot to leak? I don't think I have some weird thing, just something common. I saw a YouTube video on how to change it.
If I was a betting man, my money would be that the IPR is leaking, running through the valley and running out between the block and starter. .
Another question, if the IPR was faulty would that make the engine shut down when it gets to operating temperature?

Old 08-31-2023, 07:08 PM
RacinJasonWV
Lead Driver
Received 1,688 Likes on 1,184 Posts
A few of us are using this inspection camera that pairs with your phone. Can’t beat it for $40. Well maybe you can if there’s a better version out now for a similar price!

Limited-time deal: Wireless Endoscope, DEPSTECH Upgrade 5.0MP HD Inspection Camera, Scope Camera with Light,16 inch Focal Distance,16.5FT Semi-Rigid Snake Waterproof Borescope,2200mAh Battery for iPhone & Android-Yellow https://a.co/d/b4smxmy

Old 09-01-2023, 07:29 AM
udsuth78
Logistics Pro
Received 1,352 Likes on 1,012 Posts
The IPR o rings can leak but there are more common leak points on the hpop. You can purchase just the o rings for the IPR or a whole new valve. If you decide or determine the valve needs replaced, only buy Motorcraft sensors from trustworthy vendors. A new Motorcraft IPR costs around $200 so if you find some awesome deal on eBay or Amazon then it's a fake and there are lots of fakes out there. There are also kits available for resealing the entire hpop from Riffraff and Diesel O Rings that are quality parts.

Old 09-02-2023, 06:30 AM
WILLYSOVERLAND
Cross-Country
yesterday I parked on a good hill so every thing would run down hill and washed the valley out. i ordered a lighted mirrow from amazon and have to wait to get it. when the light comes ill fire it up and see where the oil is coming from. hopefully its the valve. i dont mind spending money, but i hate hanging new parts on something hoping to find the problem. I tried that a long time ago only to send a pick up to the junk yard with lots of new parts on it.
Thank you everybody for your help.

Quick Reply: 7.3 shuts off after warm up?