Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

De-sulfate the catalytic converters?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2023, 10:42 PM
FORD COASTIE
Supporter of Patriotism
Received 2,482 Likes on 1,801 Posts
My check engine light came on in July, the day after my scheduled 5,000 mile oil change at the dealership. I took it back to the dealership and they said my #2 catalytic converter had failed. A new one was ordered and replaced the second week of August. The very next morning, while driving to work, my check engine light came on again. I immediately took it back to the dealership, and they said the #1 catalytic converter had failed, so a new one was ordered. My truck goes in Tuesday morning for that one to be replaced. I asked the service writer why these cats are failing, and he said they are seeing it a lot lately just past the 50,000 mile mark. I’m just glad the truck is still under the emissions warranty.

Old 09-03-2023, 02:08 PM
Bluegrass 7
Lead Driver
Received 115 Likes on 92 Posts
Originally Posted by FORD COASTIE
My check engine light came on in July, the day after my scheduled 5,000 mile oil change at the dealership. I took it back to the dealership and they said my #2 catalytic converter had failed. A new one was ordered and replaced the second week of August. The very next morning, while driving to work, my check engine light came on again. I immediately took it back to the dealership, and they said the #1 catalytic converter had failed, so a new one was ordered. My truck goes in Tuesday morning for that one to be replaced. I asked the service writer why these cats are failing, and he said they are seeing it a lot lately just past the 50,000 mile mark. I’m just glad the truck is still under the emissions warranty.
The statement of 'seeing a lot lately' is just from that one source and PR to your question.
CAT contamination only comes from three sources. Burning excess oil, coolant ,or poor fuel quality or a combination of any of the three over time.
A forth, from a misfire failure causing raw fuel to burn in the Cat/s and results in excessive temperatures in the Cat.
Anytime a CAT is replaced, there should be a check in mode 6 data for misfire counts per cylinder, to be sure. This history record does not set codes.
A service writer 'opinion or statement' if often useless.
Your lucky the replacement CATS where available. Everyone else has to wait a long time due the the high failure rates and long production time.
Next time you will be paying for it and may wait a lengthy time.
The CAT codes are P 0420 and 430. Look up the description of these to see why.
Just offering you some deeper in-sight on the problem.
Good luck.

The following users liked this post:
Old 09-03-2023, 09:29 PM
FORD COASTIE
Supporter of Patriotism
Received 2,482 Likes on 1,801 Posts
Originally Posted by Bluegrass 7
The statement of 'seeing a lot lately' is just from that one source and <acronym title="Page Ranking">PR</acronym> to your question.
CAT contamination only comes from three sources. Burning excess oil, coolant ,or poor fuel quality or a combination of any of the three over time.
A forth, from a misfire failure causing raw fuel to burn in the Cat/s and results in excessive temperatures in the Cat.
Anytime a CAT is replaced, there should be a check in mode 6 data for misfire counts per cylinder, to be sure. This history record does not set codes.
A service writer 'opinion or statement' if often useless.
Your lucky the replacement CATS where available. Everyone else has to wait a long time due the the high failure rates and long production time.
Next time you will be paying for it and may wait a lengthy time.
The CAT codes are P 0420 and 430. Look up the description of these to see why.
Just offering you some deeper in-sight on the problem.
Good luck.
It took about a month for the cats to come in.

I definitely won’t be paying for it next time because I will have a new truck by the time they fail again.

Old 09-13-2023, 09:40 PM
Datavirtue
Trailering
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by FORD COASTIE
Sounds like the truck is sending oil into the combustion chamber. Great way to "fail" cats.