Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

E4OD broken spring, effects of a busted spring?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2023, 09:41 PM
danr1
Lead Driver
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
E4OD broken spring, effects of a busted spring?

Was curious, 1995 model E4OD in this case.
Cumulative effects short and or long term after the spring for the "direct clutch accumulator plunger" fails? (Fails = complete as in zero spring remaining for intended function)

Spring #52 in the ATSG Tech Manual

Thanks for any insight you might to offer,
Dan

Old 07-10-2023, 08:26 AM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,580 Likes on 1,058 Posts
I would expect some pretty harsh 2-3 shifts. Possibly harsh enough to break things.

The following users liked this post:
Old 07-11-2023, 07:55 PM
danr1
Lead Driver
Thanks for taking a moment to reply Mark.

Here is what found beyond that busted spring, please guys keep in mine attempting to keep it short!.

Direct Clutch linings burnt mostly gone, steels show signs of getting hot as well as the intermediate band toasted a little bit.

Surprisingly if driven on the road it would shift normally as it should through all forward gears, however that is with the gear selector lever in "drive" position but no TCC lockup.
Manually selected 1st or 2nd gears on the other hand? Well it could move if forced the issue, 1st gear better than 2nd.

Manually selected 2nd gear felt more like an internal battle going on rather than a forward gear, but would move forward if given enough throttle to make it do so.

It would slam reverse rather hard sometimes, didn't do so every time changing to reverse and could not make it do it nor prevent it from same. More often than not just a normal gear change when going into reverse, now and then though bam it hit it hard.

I can't figure the TCC failure though, the trans worked fine before the incident last fall and the issuing transmission fluid/truck fire. But not after a hand full of repairs had been made to correct the fire damage. The only part of the engine harness burnt went to the map sensor, The map sensor itself the blower resistor and wires, plow relay feed and the right side plug wires. Oh and yea the heater/core/blower box swapped out.

PCM had to be replaced shortly following that but I can’t say for sure if it that was due to the fire or not. Working on it and having it run several times, test drives up the road and back and moving it around etc I began to notice that either the fuel pump didn’t run key on or would run way to long. Wasn't long at all it wouldn’t stop running and the truck would not start.

Orginally I figured it was the computer however I tested and found the PCM commands lockup and using a switch to directly lock it myself had no positive result either. So I expected to see the TQ all blued showing burnt paint yet it appears pristine on the outside, nice shiny paint job on the whole thing.

Not sure what to think but leaning toward the spring failed burning the direct clutch and band, the junk in the fluid causing valving to hang up open and or closed or various combinations as well as preventing TCC lock up?

I took everything apart flushed it all out, cleaned everything and do not find any other damage, even the bushings/bearings are all in good shape. No damage to the valve body, not even the lightest scratch made by that busted spring. Naturally I can’t see the TCC without cutting the TQ open, I haven’t decided yet, may still do just that!

Old 07-11-2023, 08:08 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,580 Likes on 1,058 Posts
Originally Posted by danr1
Orginally I figured it was the computer however I tested and found the PCM commands lockup and using a switch to directly lock it myself had no positive result either. So I expected to see the TQ all blued showing burnt paint yet it appears pristine on the outside, nice shiny paint job on the whole thing.
That shows that the torque converter clutch is not slipping. Your lockup problem is most likely not the torque converter.

Not sure what to think but leaning toward the spring failed burning the direct clutch and band,
Direct band? What type of transmission do you have? The E4OD does not have a direct band, only an intermediate band. And that band is only used in manual 2.

the junk in the fluid causing valving to hang up open and or closed or various combinations as well as preventing TCC lock up?
Debris in the fluid can make the torque converter clutch valve or solenoid stick and prevent lockup.

Old 07-11-2023, 08:23 PM
danr1
Lead Driver
Hi Mark yes E4OD just my wording there, should have said "the band" or something following direct clutch rather than the way wrote it.

Finding the intermediate band damage wasn't a surprise with how it'd act in manually selected 2nd gear!

One thing I haven't tested yet is the Solenoid pack itself, cleaned it but no coil resistance testing nor mechanical function verification done to it either, maybe the TCC solenoid itself bit the big one.