Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

97 f250 SD ignition cylinder/steering column

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2023, 07:43 PM
notoz
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
97 f250 SD ignition cylinder/steering column

Background: My kid jumped in to my 97 f250 super duty (auto, 4x4, 7.3L) yesterday to load a mower on a trailer. Truck started as normal. He pulled it ahead 10 feet and parked so he could load the mower. Truck died. Dash dead, would not turn over or even click. Gear shift lever would not come out of park, key would not turn. I disconnected the cable on the side of the transmission; no change to gear shift or key. Disconnected cable under the dash where it connects to shift actuator; no change, so I figured the problem must be either the ignition cylinder or the shift assembly in the steering column. I did check the movement of the shift cable. It slid in and out like it was supposed to. I went to the local parts store and got a replacement ignition cylinder. Removed the old one and installed the new one. Still no change. Removed and reinstalled both the new and old ignition cylinders a couple times to see if I was doing something wrong. No change. Started disassembling the steering column. Took the gear shift tube off. Everything seemed normal except the black plastic bushings that go under the clamps. That didn't seem like it was enough to keep things from moving right. By then, I was able to get the gear shift out of park and turn the key. The dash would light up intermittently, but when I turned the key, it didn't seem like it was going to the start position. Or maybe it was the start position but it sure didn't feel like it. The key would move all the way forward with no detents or spring back like it was in the start position. After watching a couple YouTube videos, I thought I better check the internal plastic slides that actuate the ignition module at the bottom of the steering column, so I removed the column with the steering wheel from the truck. Everything looked like it was moving correctly, so then I reinstalled the shift tube. The gear selector moved with no resistance (column is out of the truck, not hooked to cable) and the key was still doing it's weird turning thing. So I decided to pull the cylinder again. Here's where the trouble starts: I could not get the cylinder to come out again. I pushed the little ball inside the hole as i was pulling out on the key and it would only come out about 1/16". I tried doing it with the key in various positions and can't get it to budge. I pulled so hard on the key that it came out of the cylinder. Now it easily slides out of the cylinder regardless of the position of the key. I assume that something is misaligned in the cylinder cavity. How do I get the cylinder out? I'm not worried about wrecking my new $25 cylinder, but I don't want to mess up my steering column in the process. I think I need to be able to get the cylinder out to reinstall the steering column. I didn't want to start drilling and hammering on the cylinder if I don't have to . Anyone have any advice?

Old 07-04-2023, 06:01 AM
manicmechanic007
Lead Driver
Received 1,072 Likes on 974 Posts
Your ignition actuator is broken?
Big job for a layman
Tilt column uses different parts
Tilt pins must come out and the rack and gear
Internal plastic slides of the ignition module?
That is the switch and the rod into the hole moves back and forth to start the truck etc.
Your rod is not moving back and forth like it is supposed to IMO

Old 07-04-2023, 10:50 AM
notoz
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't think it's the actuators

Manicmechanic0-
Thanks for the reply.
As I'm looking at the steering column, I can see the plastic actuators sliding inside as I move the shift lever. I did see where someone had the actuators jump a tooth and bind together, but the slot that the ignition module engages in looks like it is lined up correctly, so I don't think that is the case here. The module pin was a little stiff when I first removed it but I don't think it would be anywhere near tight enough to impede the shift lever or the cylinder.
I forgot to mention in the original post that I checked the fuses before I did anything. I replaced one under the hood, but it wasn't associated with the brakes.
At this point, I think I'm going to reassemble it and see if it will start and shift right. If not, I might consider a rebuilt one from ebay. Anyone have experience with those? Are they really rebuilt or just cleaned up and sent out the door?