1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Gear indicator...string? And key issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 02:10 PM
PDXF250
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gear indicator...string? And key issue

I'm in the process of fixing up my 83 F250. Right now, I was trying to figure out why the key seems to stick in the "turn on the car" position.

I don't know if maybe there is a spring on that box on the steering column, that the rod coming out of the steering wheel (and connected to the ignition cylinder) goes into.

I've tried cleaning it and lubing it, but it still sticks when you get into the on position (and has/would keep the started engaged if you did it with the battery on).

Is there a spring in that part? What is it called? (I understand my description probably isn't very good).

In the process of doing that, with the steering column lowered, I snapped the line that is connected to the gear-shift, and goes up to the gear indicator. Where does one get a replacement for that, and what is it called?

Thanks

Old 07-21-2011, 02:53 PM
Anafiel
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by PDXF250
I'm in the process of fixing up my 83 F250. Right now, I was trying to figure out why the key seems to stick in the "turn on the car" position.

I don't know if maybe there is a spring on that box on the steering column, that the rod coming out of the steering wheel (and connected to the ignition cylinder) goes into.

I've tried cleaning it and lubing it, but it still sticks when you get into the on position (and has/would keep the started engaged if you did it with the battery on).

Is there a spring in that part? What is it called? (I understand my description probably isn't very good).

In the process of doing that, with the steering column lowered, I snapped the line that is connected to the gear-shift, and goes up to the gear indicator. Where does one get a replacement for that, and what is it called?

Thanks
Someone else can possibly answer on the key cylinder - actuator rod issue, but at lease I can help you with the shift indicator.

Once those babies are broke, they're broke. MOST of us have broke one at some point. You can get replacements here:
LMC Truck Parts - Pages 34 and 35

It's part #3 on page 34.

You really can't fix them. I've tried!

Old 07-21-2011, 03:00 PM
Sw1tchfoot
Posting Guru
I broke my gear indicater thing too. I managed to get it working half way by using electrical tape to hold the tube together. If you broke the little wire then you will probably just have to buy a new one.

Old 07-21-2011, 03:38 PM
PDXF250
Junior User
Originally Posted by Anafiel
Someone else can possibly answer on the key cylinder - actuator rod issue, but at lease I can help you with the shift indicator.

Once those babies are broke, they're broke. MOST of us have broke one at some point. You can get replacements here:
LMC Truck Parts - Pages 34 and 35

It's part #3 on page 34.

You really can't fix them. I've tried!
the part you linked didn't break. The shift indicator itself isn't broken, the string to it is.

as for the other part, I actually took it off the column and cleaned it. But it turns out it had just slipped down enough that it stuck. So that works fine (the key returns back to "on" from "start").

Old 07-21-2011, 03:39 PM
PDXF250
Junior User
Originally Posted by Sw1tchfoot
I broke my gear indicater thing too. I managed to get it working half way by using electrical tape to hold the tube together. If you broke the little wire then you will probably just have to buy a new one.
where does one buy those wires?

Old 07-21-2011, 04:16 PM
Anafiel
Posting Guru
where does one buy those wires?
That's the point. It's all one piece. The "string" is part of the whole assembly, so you'll have to buy the part I linked to above.

Trust me, we've all been there. Usually it's the tube that goes, but if you trashed the wire, you're just as screwed. If you go the scrap yard route, you'll probable end up breaking the tube getting the "new" one out. They get really brittle with age.

Old 07-21-2011, 04:25 PM
PDXF250
Junior User
That's the point. It's all one piece. The "string" is part of the whole assembly, so you'll have to buy the part I linked to above.

Trust me, we've all been there. Usually it's the tube that goes, but if you trashed the wire, you're just as screwed. If you go the scrap yard route, you'll probable end up breaking the tube getting the "new" one out. They get really brittle with age.
hm...I was able to get the thing disconnected easily. Maybe I'm not understanding you. I am off to the junk-yard right now though.

Old 07-21-2011, 04:31 PM
Sw1tchfoot
Posting Guru
hm...I was able to get the thing disconnected easily. Maybe I'm not understanding you. I am off to the junk-yard right now though.
Sorry, I meant you needed a whole new piece. You cannot purchase the pieces seperately. You buy the whole assembly or nothing unless you buy the right size of wire and make the cable yourself.

Going to the junkyard is an option though.

Old 07-21-2011, 04:31 PM
Anafiel
Posting Guru
Maybe I should of said it's all "sold" as one assembly. I think there was a time that you could buy just the wire and tube as a seperate part, but to my best knowledge now, they are no longer available.

If someone here knows different, I could use a wire and tube for MY truck!!

Old 07-21-2011, 06:48 PM
Old Hickory
Laughing Gas
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I had the same problem, I bought the whole assemble from LMC but it was for a C4 or
C6 type which was the only one for the 1981-83 trucks. It cost 64.95 which was kind
of expensive,but I have an AOD trans. I took the cable or whatever it is called off of
the new indicator assembly and installed it on my AOD indicator assembly and it worked
fine. I learned the hard way that if you drop the steering column you must release the
shift indicator cable first or you will break it if you have an auto trans.

Old 07-21-2011, 07:16 PM
PDXF250
Junior User
Originally Posted by Sw1tchfoot
Sorry, I meant you needed a whole new piece. You cannot purchase the pieces seperately. You buy the whole assembly or nothing unless you buy the right size of wire and make the cable yourself.

Going to the junkyard is an option though.
I was able to take 2 of them off of the donor trucks at the pick-n-pull, including one unbroken.

I also bought a clock for the dash (above the stereo area), and while I have read some bits on here about plugging it in, I can't find the plug that was supposed to be there (to the right of the ash tray).

Old 07-21-2011, 07:26 PM
Anafiel
Posting Guru
I was able to take 2 of them off of the donor trucks at the pick-n-pull, including one unbroken.
Good deal! Did you get it installed?

Old 07-21-2011, 08:10 PM
PDXF250
Junior User
Good deal! Did you get it installed?
Not yet. I have the process started though.

Old 07-21-2011, 09:14 PM
81-F-150-Explorer
Post Fiend
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Maybe I should of said it's all "sold" as one assembly. I think there was a time that you could buy just the wire and tube as a seperate part, but to my best knowledge now, they are no longer available.

If someone here knows different, I could use a wire and tube for MY truck!!

You could replace the cable and housing seperatly from the indicator.

I do not know of any places that sell them seperately anymore.

-------------------------

As for the clock connector. What year model did you get your clock out of? 1980-1982, or 1983-1986?

The connectors, "2" for 1980-1982, or "1" for 1983-1986 are to the right of the ashtray. The courtesy lamp group harness also plugs into the truck here.

Old 07-21-2011, 09:18 PM
ctubutis
Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts

What transmission?

80-86 with C4/C5/C6:
EOTZ-7A110-B INDICATOR ASY TRANS Fits 80/86 F100/350, Bronco Available MSRP $70.75/ Our sponsor Ed Olson's www.partsguyed.com price $50.94
Note, E-letter-oh-TZ works for the Web form, not E-numeral-zero-TZ.

81-82 with AOT:
E1TZ-7A110-A INDICATOR ASY TRANS Fits 81/82 F100/350, Bronco Obsolete, nobody has any

83-86 with AOT:
E3TZ-7A110-A INDICATOR ASY TRANS Fits 83/86 F100/350, Bronco Available MSRP $62.32 Ed Olsen's www.partsguyed,com price $44.87

That 7A110 thing is more than the cable, it also includes the dash-mounted assembly
containing the sliding needle.

I have never went looking for just the 7E196 thing.

Quick Reply: Gear indicator...string? And key issue